National German Shepherd Show/trial 2010

Eric

Yep thats right Shaar. Have not heard what happened about it, but you are right a 4 berth trailer is about same size as box trailer so shoud be same charge.

But anthing to make more profit for the big wig vompany, after all they know we only have the 2 choices boat or fly, and I think we would rather fly and have friends meet us other end rather than drive all way up from southern Tassie to boat then pay lot more for travel plus it take longer, where if we fly there in about 1 - 1 1/2 hours. done. less stress on dogs and us.

Eric.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flying a puppy to Tassie is much cheaper then flying one to NT.

I was quoted $155 for Tassie and $805 to NT for a 10 week old Dane puppy.

Boat fees for cars and trailers http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/fares.html

I notice it says

The prices listed include the deduction of the Bass Strait Passenger Vehicle Equalisation Scheme rebate of $183 for a standard car and trailer and $366 for a standard car towing a caravan or a motorhome/campervan.

Moe info on that hear http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport...bass/index.aspx

Using the water as an excuse is crap. If i had to get to WA I would have to drive for 3-4 days, I can't fly the Danes.

It would be cheaper to go to Tassie on the boat then it would to drive to WA.

Flying a puppy to Tassie is much cheaper then flying one to NT.

I was quoted $155 for Tassie and $805 to NT for a 10 week old Dane puppy.

Boat fees for cars and trailers http://www.spiritoftasmania.com.au/fares.html

I notice it says

The prices listed include the deduction of the Bass Strait Passenger Vehicle Equalisation Scheme rebate of $183 for a standard car and trailer and $366 for a standard car towing a caravan or a motorhome/campervan.

Moe info on that hear http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/transport...bass/index.aspx

Using the water as an excuse is crap. If i had to get to WA I would have to drive for 3-4 days, I can't fly the Danes.

It would be cheaper to go to Tassie on the boat then it would to drive to WA.

SwaY, no is using the sea as an excuse :laugh: What we are trying to say is that it is difficult and costly to get off the Island.

Good heavens people know I drive from Queensland to Victoria for a dog show and many times at that.

That there in lies the problem, its not as easy as getting in the car and setting off.

It can be very costly to get yourself and dog on the plane or boat.

As for a group on the plane they just don't have the space for the dogs.

As I said in a prior post I had to have the dog trailer (Toledo large 4 birth) inspected by the vet before I could use it on the Boat.

The cost of car, dog trailer and somewhere to sleep over night can be beyond the means of some.

I keep saying why should we be discriminated against (1000 km rule) because it can be a pain the proverbial to get of the Island.

Living on an island IS difficult. Having lived on one for almost thirty years in Canada, and seeing the ferry service leave and replaced by a bridge (13km long) it was an improvement however wasn't any cheaper. We had only three weekends of dog shows on the Island. For us to be competative, we simply had to leave every weekend we could and at the cost of $42.50 per car load and camper trailers extra. Many that were on the mainland, used to tell us "Islanders" that they would pick ONE of the Island shows because 'it's too expensive to do them'.

We left the Island every week....we budgeted for that, but it doesn't mean we liked it, nor was it fair. The bridge was basically the 'TransCanada Highway' and as such, is free for travel by anyone....except for that 13 kilometers of water by boat and then by bridge.

We carpooled when we could, because it was the only way we could afford the extra costs to feed our dog show addiction. Those of us that lived on the Island, did it the hard way.....the mainlanders who didn't really get it, had no idea and kept on bitching that going to the Island is too costly.

There were some however that did the three sets of shows per year on the Island...and no others.....there are also many on the other Canadian Island of Newfoundland that although had twice as many show weekends as us PEI'ers had, never left their 'rock' either. It's simply too costly with a 890 km drive from the major city to the ferry, and then an 8 hour sail followed by on average, another 4 hours driving to Halifax. And yet, if the same rule for distance was used, specific breed people would lose an opportunity for attaining points at shows in their backyard. They would, if they needed points, be forced to spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars to get to the specialty or go beyond the limit to a show that didn't have this restriction applied. Most don't.

Living on an island IS difficult. Having lived on one for almost thirty years in Canada, and seeing the ferry service leave and replaced by a bridge (13km long) it was an improvement however wasn't any cheaper. We had only three weekends of dog shows on the Island. For us to be competative, we simply had to leave every weekend we could and at the cost of $42.50 per car load and camper trailers extra. Many that were on the mainland, used to tell us "Islanders" that they would pick ONE of the Island shows because 'it's too expensive to do them'.

You can't compare Canada's ferry to ours.

$42.50 is cheap!

SwaY, no is using the sea as an excuse :laugh: What we are trying to say is that it is difficult and costly to get off the Island.

Good heavens people know I drive from Queensland to Victoria for a dog show and many times at that.

That there in lies the problem, its not as easy as getting in the car and setting off.

As I said in a prior post I had to have the dog trailer (Toledo large 4 birth) inspected by the vet before I could use it on the Boat.

The cost of car, dog trailer and somewhere to sleep over night can be beyond the means of some.

I keep saying why should we be discriminated against (1000 km rule) because it can be a pain the proverbial to get of the Island.

You are using water as an excuse, Oh sorry Island. We all know Islands are surrounded by water. :laugh:

What's hard about driving to the Ferry, loading your car, going upstairs walking around having dinner, Maybe sleeping in a cabin or chair or watching a movie, Then getting off and driving? The boat goes over twice a day.

I have been to Tassie on the boat, It was an easy experience - I do get sea sick thou!

Yes i stressed about the dogs, but you would be it on the plane as well.

I don't see how it's any different to hey lets say, me driving from Vic to QLDwhich is approx 1797km and approx 20hours of driving, plus 3 nights accommodation. In fact getting on the boat is easier!!

It's cheaper for me in Melb to get to Tassie via the boat then it is to drive to WA or QLD.

How long does the trip take?

The trip on board Spirit of Tasmania takes approximately 9-11 hours.

On days of single sailings, the voyage takes 11 hours.

On days of double sailings, the voyage takes 9 hours.

The boat travels approx 452kms

I agree with Sway the boat is a fantasic experience (apart from those who do suffer with sea sickness). the dogs may travel in the comfort of the car or trailer if suitable and my dogs enjoy the journey. I also enjoy the experience of the boat a lovely evening to relax and when you wake up you are almost there.

Try $185 for a car, $75 per person and any camper or trailer up to 26 feet is $55 and each additional 2 feet is an extra $20, and this is one way with no accomodations (going to Newfoundland) You want a reclining seat? Add $50 and a dorm sleeper is $35 per person....cabin is $150 (remember, one way)

Yes $42.50 isn't too bad, but try it every weekend....the year I travelled forty weekends for shows.....it's not cheap.

We on the mainland take it for granted that we only need a tank of fuel to get to a show often and can be home in our own beds at night.

SwaY, no is using the sea as an excuse :thumbsup: What we are trying to say is that it is difficult and costly to get off the Island.

You are using water as an excuse, Oh sorry Island. We all know Islands are surrounded by water. :thumbsup:

What's hard about driving to the Ferry, loading your car, going upstairs walking around having dinner, Maybe sleeping in a cabin or chair or watching a movie, Then getting off and driving? The boat goes over twice a day.

I have been to Tassie on the boat, It was an easy experience - I do get sea sick thou!

Yes i stressed about the dogs, but you would be it on the plane as well.

I don't see how it's any different to hey lets say, me driving from Vic to QLDwhich is approx 1797km and approx 20hours of driving, plus 3 nights accommodation. In fact getting on the boat is easier!!

It's cheaper for me in Melb to get to Tassie via the boat then it is to drive to WA or QLD.

You went only once?

On a calm day/night crossing...it is a lovely trip....try it when the seas are not so gentle or mechanical difficulties turns the 9 hour trip into 16 or more. Or for a real thrill....give Newfoundland a go in the winter.

I did that run 2-4 times per year, why?...because I was paid to handle other peoples dogs so my costs were covered....it's hard on the dogs, hard on the humans and I often wondered what the hell I was doing when I booked my reservation. The 8 hour crossing (10 in winter) the 12 hour (roughly) drive across and the 6 hour drive to home, makes for a long time, however the weird part is, as the crow flies, it's about 700kms.

I made the mistake of taking the longer sail, which was a shorter drive upon arrival and at 16-18 hours on the boat, with 5 minute potty breaks available (if you ask the steward nicely) for all dogs, to walk and pee on the deck, can't tell me that's easy on the beasties. I had six dogs that crossing.....thankfully two other people and we turbo walked six dogs on the decks....not fun at all.

Yes I"m glad I live on the mainland now.....

Yes $42.50 isn't too bad, but try it every weekend....the year I travelled forty weekends for shows.....it's not cheap.

If you live on one side of Melbourne and want to show on the other you have to pay tolls.

I paid more then $42.50 in tolls two weeks ago attending shows.

I have a van, im charge a commercial rate because its a van, it doesn't mater it's for dogs and not work

I love how this thread has gone from CC's to cost of flying, to being difficult to get off the island, to bringing up anything as some people hate to lose a discussion.

How is that an different to me. I show the majority of weekends, live in Brunswick it is about 47kms to KCC, we also will go to lancefield, Bendigo, ballarat, Geelong... You have petrol costs each day. The only difference is not having to drive over a bridge.

You went only once?

Yes for the Royal, and if the judges are to my liking i would return again tomorrow.

I get sea sick, yet i would do it again.

I have friends who go over every year, sometimes twice for both Royals.

Im currently showing in NSW 550kms from home, surprise surprise it cost me money to get here :thumbsup:

Sway, I think you might change your mind if you actually lived here :thumbsup:

And that is your choice to go to NSW, as I stated before, not all of us have enough money to be able to travel that far for shows.

The only time I will be going to the mainland is for Melb Royal maybe... and that is only because I owe it to my breeder to do so.

Yes Vic has tolls, which are costly, but still not as costly as a plane or boat, plus if we fly over there, we still have to pay the tolls as well depending on where the show is in relation to the airport!

I don't think the discussion has taken a turn at all... the cost of getting yourself and a dog(s) out of Tassie plays a huge part in the original point.

Edited by Shaar

You went only once?

Yes for the Royal, and if the judges are to my liking i would return again tomorrow.

I get sea sick, yet i would do it again.

I have friends who go over every year, sometimes twice for both Royals.

Im currently showing in NSW 550kms from home, surprise surprise it cost me money to get here :thumbsup:

Yes SwaY, you loaded the car and got in and drove away.

What we are trying to explain is that this state is discriminated against because we can't do that.

The costs are just to great to be able to participate for the average worker with a family and lord knows

how pensioners would ever cope. Many of our older dog show people would possibly be on a pension.

Why should the 1000 km rule discriminate against them going to a dog show and not be able to receive a challenge.

and have some fun.

Just because there is a National on in Melbourne what has that to do with us.

Those that can afford the trip by air or sea do it.

Good luck to them for being able to, no one begrudges them, but their are a lot of exhibitors that are not that fortunate to be able to so.

Why discriminate against them just because the costs are to great. If most of us could drive to Melbourne I am sure we would.

I was born here and lived a large part of my life here and I can assure you that strip of water can make one HUGE difference.

Edited by oakway

I doubt it, it's not like you would do it every weekend or month.

That's just the problem, we can't go.

You can get in your car and go. You don't have to use sea or air. :thumbsup:

When you live in this state you are at distinct disadvantage when it comes to going to interstate shows.

So why should we be discriminated against.

Gee it is only one weekend out of the year that you cannot get challenge points. Big Deal. I agree with the rules. It all comes down to choice, if you do not like it, do something about it, if you cannot or cannot be bothered to change it, suck it up and grin and bear it. JMO.

I doubt it, it's not like you would do it every weekend or month.

That's just the problem, we can't go.

You can get in your car and go. You don't have to use sea or air. :thumbsup:

When you live in this state you are at distinct disadvantage when it comes to going to interstate shows.

So why should we be discriminated against.

You can go, it's just one extra step. A step that many from the Mainland make over there each year for the Royals.

As for flying, You can't fly an adult Dane in Australia even if i wanted to. :thumbsup:

You say your discriminated against due to distance and money.

What about those in WA who either have to drive 3-4days to get to Melb/Syd/Bris?

Those in NT who want to show in Melb, again 3-4days drive.

Tassie is not the only ones who can't easily get to shows.

As it's a NATIONAL show, i think there should be no CC's Australia wide for that breed!

ETA spelling

Edited by SwaY

Gee it is only one weekend out of the year that you cannot get challenge points. Big Deal. I agree with the rules. It all comes down to choice, if you do not like it, do something about it, if you cannot or cannot be bothered to change it, suck it up and grin and bear it. JMO.

Just skimmed through the April - May Gazette.

There are 2 shows in there. Yep once you take out breed shows and all the obedience and agility there are only 2 champ shows.

I'll take every opportunity I can get to show my dog locally thanks, that's the point. If there was a Breed show on the mainland somewhere in those 2 months that would mean we only get 1 show!

I know this sounds like just whinging and moaning but I think we do have a point, even if not everyone sees or agrees with it, it doesn't make it any less valid. And everyone keeps bringing up WA and Darwin... they would fall outside the km radius wouldn't they?