National German Shepherd Show/trial 2010

Eric

I am sorry but if you live in Tassie and wish to travel to the mainland with dogs, with a little planning you can successfully exhibit dogs on the mainland, which many of us do..............plan and budget for it.

Just a little sick of hearing `oh I live in Tassie it is so hard.....'

Budget for it......on a pension :)

Well yes, from puppy money and the other things that some do to earn extra on the side, like dog bathing and grooming.

Yes things can be hard on limited income but it can be done.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a "National" .... in my opinion there should be no other CC's available throughout the whole country !!!!

Of course not everyone will attend ... for many reasons..... but its 1 weekend ....and that should be the focus for that breed.

I totally agree with you Dellcara...

Everyone is given AMPLE notice of a when a National is being held, so budget and save to attend or don't!

I am sorry but if you live in Tassie and wish to travel to the mainland with dogs, with a little planning you can successfully exhibit dogs on the mainland, which many of us do..............plan and budget for it.

Well yes, from puppy money and the other things that some do to earn extra on the side, like dog bathing and grooming.

Yes your quite right IF you breed and IF you have a Hydro bath.

It will also depend what kind of pension you may be on.

It would also depend on where you live.

I still say this state should be exempt from the 1000 Km rule.

The club concerned where the challenges were not offered still received entries, would they have received those entries if the club had known that they could not offer challenges ?.

In this day and age NO club can afford to lose income, especially when the only way to get off the Island is by sea or air.

If you can afford to go to the Mainland shows, good on you for supporting them.

If you can afford to fly to your clubs Nationals , Specialities or the State Royals good on you, but remember their are lot of people left behind that should not be denied the right to attend a dog show and receive a Challenge a BOB and maybe go onto BIS just because a National was held in Victoria.

I wish it were that easy!

As much as I sacrfice and try to save money for interstate jaunts, I'm still hard pressed to afford to travel to shows in Northern Tasmania!!

I maintain that for the "average" exhibitor, interstate travel is difficult and getting more difficult as the airlines make it so. And not everybody is in the position of being able to add at least 2 days each side of their trip for travel by ferry either OR come to that is able to get to Devonport by road from the Southern part of the State to get on the boat in the first place with dogs.

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done....as I said in my post with careful planning and budgeting, it CAN be done. But unfortunately not for many of us.

I live in Tasmania by choice....I don't make a habit of complaining about living here because having lived in other States, I KNOW it is one of the best places to be...but regardless of whether you agree or not, it IS hard to get to the mainland for shows on a regular basis unless you have a money tree or a private jet.

I wish it were that easy!

As much as I sacrfice and try to save money for interstate jaunts, I'm still hard pressed to afford to travel to shows in Northern Tasmania!!

I maintain that for the "average" exhibitor, interstate travel is difficult and getting more difficult as the airlines make it so. And not everybody is in the position of being able to add at least 2 days each side of their trip for travel by ferry either OR come to that is able to get to Devonport by road from the Southern part of the State to get on the boat in the first place with dogs.

I'm not saying it CAN'T be done....as I said in my post with careful planning and budgeting, it CAN be done. But unfortunately not for many of us.

I live in Tasmania by choice....I don't make a habit of complaining about living here because having lived in other States, I KNOW it is one of the best places to be...but regardless of whether you agree or not, it IS hard to get to the mainland for shows on a regular basis unless you have a money tree or a private jet.

Well put ellz,

I am not complaining because I came back to Tasmania, It was my choice, the fact that challenges were not awarded does not even effect me, I am a group one person now.

I have only been able to afford to go to one show at Churchill Park and the other entry that I sent for group one obviously did not get to the secretary LOL.

But I still believe that this state should be exempt from the 1000 km rule.

I feel that the 1000km rule is discrimination and this country that is not allowed.

I went down on Sunday to check things out. I saw no Bikini's, no over the top double handling, no bickering.

Nothing but dogs in the ring, and nice friendly exhibitors and spectators on the outside.

In fact it was far less wankerish then I expected after reading about GSD specialty shows on DOL.

To me it looked like a well run event.

:rainbowbridge: Good on you Sway :rainbowbridge: I was there for the 3 days and I totally agree with you. :rainbowbridge::cry: I had the best time. Great looking dogs (ALL of them) Bikini's...please, as if! :rainbowbridge:

She also was stunned to see not only the dress code (bikini's?) but the extensive double handling that took place.

...really wishing Angelsun would return and explain why the GSD exhibitors were wearing bikinis :rainbowbridge: Sounds fascinating :rainbowbridge:

at least some people have a specialty that they can choose whether to go or not.

Yep agree, having owned greys i now what you mean & with our current breeds no clubs in my state ,i have to travel east to compete which i do or miss out which i have also done.

I do think people dont always appreciate what options they get with some breeds

I just returned to WA from Adelaide after attending the weimaraner national... yep sure it was expensive, but it's one of those things that is actually an honour and privilege to be at for me... if they had australia wide rule of not offering CCs of a particular breed I don't think i'd complain... it's one weekend... and WA doesn't have that many shows.

In saying that, the weimaraner national is every 5 years (now 4), not annually...

I find that comment to be a little unfair.

Not all of us have spare cash we can put away to save for a trip to the mainland.

My opinion: Tassie should be exempt.

Someone mentioned earlier (sorry forgot who) that it would draw entries away from Nationals... HOW exactly?

If people want to go to a National they will go... if they don't, they won't, simple as that! Having a local show where they could get points is just more convenient for those of us who aren't rolling in cash :)

Edited by Shaar

Not all of us have spare cash we can put away to save for a trip to the mainland.

:) How is an interstate flight from Tassie to Melbourne different to an interstate flight from anywhere else in Australia to melbourne? Genuine question.

:) How is an interstate flight from Tassie to Melbourne different to an interstate flight from anywhere else in Australia to melbourne? Genuine question.

Many of the flights that come here do not accommodate dogs.

see the post by ellz.

Just proving that my dog had been wormed for hidatus tapeworm was a battle and a half seeing as how the breeder didn't think to include a vet certificate, and what was even more ridiculous I knew for a fact puppies under 6 months were exempt, yet they still argued with me about it :)

We don't have the option of driving... I would be fine with driving 3 hours to a show (we do for Hobart ones) but if I had to fly there... forget it.

It stresses the dogs out, it stresses me out and it aint cheap.

Don't get me wrong, I do plan on going to shows in Vic once my boy grows up but I personally just find it unfair that we (and people in WA, Darwin etc) get penalized because of where we live.

There was a debacle not long ago in Tas because there was a Dally specialty in Sydney and the owner of a Dally here was not told his dog would not get any points. Apparently Sydney falls JUST inside the km radius.

By the way... not arguing, just saying what I think :D

EDIT - Yes from what I have heard there aren't many airlines that allow dogs into Tassie any more. Mine came in on Jetstar, I believe Qantas is no longer an option, at least not to Launceston anyway.

Edited by Shaar

I'd love to know the cost comparison of travelling with GSD's to Melbourne from Tas or Darwin.

I know what it costs me to travel with dogs.

One GSD female and her owner from Launceston to Melbourne one way was 195.00 (125.00 for the bitch) and a cheaper air fair coming back its was 178.00. Can only fly Virgin out of Launceston and they have limited flights weekends as the freight section is now Toll and they do not open as aften as they did.

Flying out of Hobart is not so hard friends of ours took 3 to Sydney Royal all on the same flight and all three cam back on the same flight. You have Qantas and Virgin at the southern end.

Edited by Firestone

I'd love to know the cost comparison of travelling with GSD's to Melbourne from Tas or Darwin.

I know what it costs me to travel with dogs.

One GSD female and her owner from Launceston to Melbourne one way was 195.00 and a cheaper air fair coming back its was 178.00. Can only fly Virgin out of Launceston and they have limited flights weekends as the freight section is now Toll and they do not open as aften as they did.

Flying out of Hobart is not so hard friends of ours took 3 to Sydney Royal all on the same flight and all three cam back on the same flight.

Whoops! Yes my boy did come with Virgin, not Jetstar. Amazing how much you forget in just a few months :)

I tried to find some quotes on transporting Tas to Melb and Darwin to Melb but every site I go to asks you to e-mail them for quotes.