Starting Work - How Can I Keep My Goldie Busy?

Snowball

hmmm, as much as I would love the morning walk and could do with the excercise, it just isnt going to happen with a 5 year old in tow, he is tired enough from normal school stuff without being dragged around the streets in the morning.

oh dear, I think I am getting a wee bit overwhelmed......

I have been steadily trying to build up the time she spends in the dog run and giving her her treats in there to get her used to it, but she had good sook (sp?) today when she was in there. Lucky she is soooo adorable, as dear me she is a bundle of hard work...

Yep no sooking & when you let her out dont make a fuss either.

The reality is depending on the breeders set up most pups are use to being in a run set up at some point whether big or small(puppy pen or day run.)

Obviously they had company but they still now it as a safe area.

When dog goes in just be confidient & no fussing,just a simple in your run good dog .when let out no fuss & just go do something .

Dogs are no different than children,the more you make of it the more they feel your body language & the longer & harder it is for them to adapt .

The main key is to have pup out there when raining,cold,windy & the likes because that is the weather she will experience soon & you wont be there to fuss

hmmm, as much as I would love the morning walk and could do with the excercise, it just isnt going to happen with a 5 year old in tow, he is tired enough from normal school stuff without being dragged around the streets in the morning.

I have been steadily trying to build up the time she spends in the dog run and giving her her treats in there to get her used to it, but she had good sook (sp?) today when she was in there. Lucky she is soooo adorable, as dear me she is a bundle of hard work...

If you don't have time in the morning for a walk, then do a couple of 10 minute obedience training sessions with her. Tiring out her mind will work just as well as a walk in the mornings. The more she has to think, the more tired she will be so you need to vary the training once she has mastered a task.

Marrow bones are very hard and not good for the teeth if given too often, they will actually wear the teeth down more quickly than any other bone. Ask your butcher to saw a marrow bone into 8 pieces (half, half and half again, all lengthwise) which make a marrow bone go further without too much wear on the teeth at any one time (my theory anyway!)

Chicken carcasses are great for teeth because the bones are rubbery and bend around the dogs teeth as they chew.

Smear some peanut butter well inside a kong, sprinkle in just a few bits of kibble, then stuff half a banana into the Kong and freeze it.

Or just fill a kong with some natural yoghurt and freeze it. You might have to plug one end with a piece of cheese or something.

Treat balls with their kibble breakfast inside would be good (although my Goldie broke his treat ball open with his teeth rather than work for the kibble)

A cardboard box to shred is great. Once they work out they can rip it or chew it, they have a lot of fun. Cheap and effective but you need to clean up the mess afterwards (and it's real messy!)

Large soft toys from the Salvos cost a couple of dollars each, often cheaper. These are great if you are happy for your puppy to suck or chew on them. You need to make sure there's only dacron filling and no beads or anything that the puppy can ingest which may cause problems. You would also need to cut off the eyes and nose if they are plastic as these are the first bit a dog would go for.

I would suggest a plastic coke bottle or milk bottle with some kibble in it however I never do this myself as the plastic when chewed can become quite sharp. But some puppies are happy to just play and try to get the kibble out.

Is there anyway you can hide little treats to be found in the run?

Is there a nice comfy bed in the run?

One last thought is doggy daycare once or twice a week?

You need 2 clam shells fill one with sand and bury little treats in there. Fill the other half full with water. No matter what the weather she will enjoy paddling playing in the water. I leave a big container fullof toys in thier run, they then get out the toys they want to play with. Of course tipping the bucket over and digging thru the toys is half the fun.

Frozen kongs work well here.

As indigirl mentioned a sandpit - we used to bury treats and balls in Riley's before we left for work.

Also rotate the toys. Its amazing how Riley will think has a brand new toy again, even though he's had it for years :provoke:

Marrow bones last AGES, they are a very hard bone but I dont see why a pup couldnt have them if their adult teeth are through

Re marrow bones: Is it true that too many marrow bones (too much marrow intake) can cause difficiencies or health problems in some dogs?? My mum knew a girl that fed her husky marrow bones every 1-2 days and he got an issue (not sure what!) and the vet said too much marrow

We have given our Golden Retriever marrow bones since she was young. Our vet suggests one large bone per week. Great for keeping her teeth cleaned and keeps her busy for a long time! :provoke:

You need 2 clam shells fill one with sand and bury little treats in there. Fill the other half full with water. No matter what the weather she will enjoy paddling playing in the water. I leave a big container fullof toys in thier run, they then get out the toys they want to play with. Of course tipping the bucket over and digging thru the toys is half the fun.

My two dogs (one Golden and one Lab) love the clam shell filled with water! :provoke:

I'm not sure if you're in the position to do this but have you considered getting another dog? My husband and I both work full time and we wanted a dog but we didn't want it to be bored during the day. So, we got out Golden pup and then 7 weeks later we got a Lab pup. They keep each other busy all day and they're best of friends.

It's just a suggestion. Two dogs are not for everyone as they're hard work! :provoke:

The main thing is to ignore the sooking, and only let her out of the run when she is quiet. You don't want her to think that making noise will cause you to come over and let her out.

Just start with small amounts of time, and build up each day slowly to the maximum time the dog will be left alone.

Some dogs react a lot worse than just sooking, so you are off to a good start if that is all she is doing.

Could you drive the dog to a park to exercise with a ball in the mornings? That might be a solution if your five year old is not up for a long walk.

All this is a bit of hard work, but your dog will get into a good routine if you persevere, and you will be pleased you put in the effort now.

:laugh: to all of this!

Re your 5 year old- I have a 5 and a 7 year old and most of the time I take Honey for her exercise at 6am, but when my OH works early (like this week), Honey and I drop the kids off at school at around 8.30 (there is teacher supervision from then) and go straight to the park from there. I am lucky in that I dont have to leave home until 10am though, maybe thats not do-able for you?

Honey LOVES her ball, if I ever have to take the kids we go to the local park and throw the ball for half an hour and do some training (while the kids climb the trees!). She is usually pooped when we get home. Have you tried ball throwing for your dog? She is a retriever - most love it, and when you have kids its a lifesaver when you are short on time.

Also, if you are anxious when leaving, you are going to make her anxious. When I leave I give Honey a couple of frozen chicken necks in her bowl, she thinks "whoo hoo, she's leaving here comes the treat!!" and by the time they have finished you are gone, they have been distracted while you are worrying about leaving and they settle down for a rest.

If you don't have time in the morning for a walk, then do a couple of 10 minute obedience training sessions with her. Tiring out her mind will work just as well as a walk in the mornings. The more she has to think, the more tired she will be so you need to vary the training once she has mastered a task.

Marrow bones are very hard and not good for the teeth if given too often, they will actually wear the teeth down more quickly than any other bone. Ask your butcher to saw a marrow bone into 8 pieces (half, half and half again, all lengthwise) which make a marrow bone go further without too much wear on the teeth at any one time (my theory anyway!)

Chicken carcasses are great for teeth because the bones are rubbery and bend around the dogs teeth as they chew.

Smear some peanut butter well inside a kong, sprinkle in just a few bits of kibble, then stuff half a banana into the Kong and freeze it.

Or just fill a kong with some natural yoghurt and freeze it. You might have to plug one end with a piece of cheese or something.

Treat balls with their kibble breakfast inside would be good (although my Goldie broke his treat ball open with his teeth rather than work for the kibble)

A cardboard box to shred is great. Once they work out they can rip it or chew it, they have a lot of fun. Cheap and effective but you need to clean up the mess afterwards (and it's real messy!)

Large soft toys from the Salvos cost a couple of dollars each, often cheaper. These are great if you are happy for your puppy to suck or chew on them. You need to make sure there's only dacron filling and no beads or anything that the puppy can ingest which may cause problems. You would also need to cut off the eyes and nose if they are plastic as these are the first bit a dog would go for.

I would suggest a plastic coke bottle or milk bottle with some kibble in it however I never do this myself as the plastic when chewed can become quite sharp. But some puppies are happy to just play and try to get the kibble out.

Is there anyway you can hide little treats to be found in the run?

Is there a nice comfy bed in the run?

One last thought is doggy daycare once or twice a week?

Just wanted to say thanks for this. Great tips for me!