Fading Puppies

zzz Top

Have a litter of 6 cocker pups and they just do not seem to be doing as well as my last litters, having a problem with getting mum to eat much she will only eat a little, She has had litters in the past and both have done well. Does anyone have and ideas??

More info please...how old are the puppies, were they born naturally or via c/section, how much milk has the bitch got, is there any sign of mastitis, has the bitch got a temperature higher than normal, any abnormal discharge?

Are the pups well hydrated, are they quiet and content or noisy and unsettled?

Is the bitch on antibiotics or has she been at some point leading up to or since the birth of the pups?

Edited by Aziah

More info please...how old are the puppies, were they born naturally or via c/section, how much milk has the bitch got, is there any sign of mastitis, has the bitch got a temperature higher than normal, any abnormal discharge?

Are the pups well hydrated, are they quiet and content or noisy and unsettled?

Is the bitch on antibiotics or has she been at some point leading up to or since the birth of the pups?

The puppies are 5 days old, they were born naturally, she has milk but I am not sure on how much, mum is well but just will not eat as much as she normaly does. This littler of pups seam to be quiter. Mum has not been on antibiotics. Not to sure about the hydration of pups. Have been giving them some Nutrigel to try and help them and some bottle.

Are you offering her several small meals rather than a few large ones? Also what are you feeding her, you might need to alter what you're feeding at the moment...

Check the pups to see how hydrated they are, pinch (gently!) the skin on the neck and take note of whether it goes back to normal quickly or slowly or not at all if it's the latter two then you need to hydrate them.

What about the bitch, apart from not eating well has she got a normal temperature, no lumps or hot spots along the mammary area and discharge...if she's got an infection then it could be the cause of her poor eating. By saying Mum is well, do you mean all the above things are normal and there are no issues apart from eating?

I suggest that if things aren't improved in the next 24 hours after trying her on some BBQ chicken or something else tasty for a few meals then you need to get her and pups checked by your vet.

Time is of great importance with young puppies...

Edited by Aziah

I f mum is well & feeding ok I suggest u assist the babies to suckle thus producing more milk from mum,hold each pup On the nipple Supporting its chin as it suckles ,keep them warm do not let them chill ,

you could also try beef liver t remedy if they are strong enough to suckle .What kind of bottol r u giving them & r u berping them after supp feeding ?

R they pooing & weeing ok ,Is mum toileting them ?if not u need to asist with this .

That was my question... what does your vet say?Was she Ok at her post natal checkup?

Any baby puppies who may not appear quite 'right' can indeed go downhill at a great rate. You say you don't know how much milk 'mum' has- are her boobs rounded and looking full.. or are they flabby? When you gently squeeze a nipple- does milk appear readily? Are the puppies tummies round looking, or is there a 'dip' behind their ribs?

A temperature check of mum would be my first job ..... then you have an idea of what may be happening :thumbsup: What mixture are you using to bottle feed the babies?Are they sucking well? Is Mum cleaning them happily?

My suggestion is to get the bitch and the pups to the vet for a check up.

If you are asking what to do on here I suspect you are not used to lots of litters acting differently and feel unsure.

As I said off to the vets for a check up for your peace of mind and health of the bitch and pups.

Took mum and pups to vets, they said mum had not temp just not much milk gave her something to stimulate her to eat more which has worked a treat. Gave the two weakest pups some fluid under the skin. Overnight all are doing much better :) . Thanks all.

I suggest that you givea heaped teaspoon of Fenugreek powder to all the mum's meals. This will help the milk supply and also her apetite.

Fenugreek is an Indian herb available form Indian groceries can cmoe in seed form which you grind up or powder form.

Although I'm new to all of this - my first suggestion (and I know I'm late in)- would have been Colostrum re-placer (not supplement)..In Oz the best is marketed as a "food" by regulation not "supplement" and there is a BIG difference - So very important to get IgG into neonates as early as possible. You only have 24 - 48 hrs until full intestinal closure in a canine neonate. Hope the puppies do well...

Edited by AmandaJ