Dog World News Paper Headlines In Britain

bet hargreaves

In this week's DOG WORLD ,the Head-Lines are that a CAVALIER KING CHARLES SPANIEL BREEDER ,who has spent nearly Two Years pursuing his Complaint against the Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV FILM , has heard once again heard his grievances have not been upheld by the Editorial Standards Committee.

The Pedigree Dogs Exposed's Writer and Producer ,Jemima Harrison ,said in Dog World ,I am really pleased with the finding, which is a very Robust Defence of the Film's Accuracy and Impartiality.

Bet Hargreaves

Yep, pretty good :thumbsup:

I like this one :love: although it is not exactly a raspberry -- well, maybe!! :love:

In case any-body is interested to read the Article in DOG WORLD,here it is.

www.dogworld.uk/news/18-front-cover

If I could just mention ,so many of us Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Pet Owners are grateful to Jemima Harrison and her Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Program

Here in Britain ,in 1983, yes 27 years ago !!!, Dr P Darke, the UK CKCS CLUB'S Cardiologist ,carried out Heart Surveys at Cavalier Shows ,he found that the MVD Heart Problem was very Serious and Wide-Spread,and warned the Cavalier Breeders about this.

At last years UK CKCS CLUB'S AGM, the Cardiologist giving a Lecture at it, said that 50% of Cavaliers will have a Heart Murmur at 5 years of age ,and that this is no better than it was 18 years ago.

Hopefully now ,because of Jemima Harrison's TV Program,Prospective Cavalier Buyers have been made aware of the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed,and will ask to see from the Cavalier Breeder a Health Certificate showing that Health Tests have been carried out on their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

It is only because of the PDE TV Program, the Bateson Report has been produced and an Independant Advisory Breeding Council set up.

Bet Hargreaves

Yep, pretty good :thumbsup:

I like this one :love: although it is not exactly a raspberry -- well, maybe!! :love:

If I could just mention ,so many of us Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Pet Owners are grateful to Jemima Harrison and her Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Program

Here in Britain ,in 1983, yes 27 years ago !!!, Dr P Darke, the UK CKCS CLUB'S Cardiologist ,carried out Heart Surveys at Cavalier Shows ,he found that the MVD Heart Problem was very Serious and Wide-Spread,and warned the Cavalier Breeders about this.

At last years UK CKCS CLUB'S AGM, the Cardiologist giving a Lecture at it, said that 50% of Cavaliers will have a Heart Murmur at 5 years of age ,and that this is no better than it was 18 years ago.

Hopefully now ,because of Jemima Harrison's TV Program,Prospective Cavalier Buyers have been made aware of the Health Problems in our Cavalier Breed,and will ask to see from the Cavalier Breeder a Health Certificate showing that Health Tests have been carried out on their Cavalier Breeding Stock.

It is only because of the PDE TV Program, the Bateson Report has been produced and an Independant Advisory Breeding Council set up.

Bet Hargreaves

Bet, from what I say I would have to say that unfortunately this program is so full of half truths and was so emotionally manipulative that any genuine concerns of breeders and fanciers over the future of their breeds was lost in the sensationalism that was the basis of this 'documentary' style program. It is a fact that the simple hypothosis of this program is that breeders (noting that any distingishment of it only being applicable to the UK is superficial at best) are killing the public's beloved breeds through an egotistical and selfish desire to produce animals that meet a superficial criteria called the breed standard.

As I'm sure you are aware, this is not an accurate hypothosis, and insulting to say the least. To push such a blanket perception is at best the result of lazy and inept research, at worst just plain malicious. Indeed, at no point does the program aedequately acknowledge the contribution that breeders and supporters of the dog world make to both veterinary and human science, and the millions of dollars poured into research that comes from the pedigree dog world. It also makes no mention of the problems with so-called designer breeds, or the issues relating to the mass production of puppies, the constant concern for all ethical breeders. It presents the canine authorities as fools, breeders as either blind or arrogant, and the future of the pedigree dog world as doomed to extinction as a result of genetic inbreeding and terrible disease, all human created.

As such, it has a very narrow hypothesis and its methodology is flawed to say the least. If I was presented this as serious research, I'd be telling the student to start again. Unfortunately, there is no such standard for robust and defensible argument when making a program to be aired on commercial television.

So, while I'm glad you feel something positive has come out of it, I am personally yet to see this myself.

Edited by lappiemum

Yep, pretty good :(

I like this one :) although it is not exactly a raspberry -- well, maybe!! :D

Bet Hargreaves

Bet, from what I say I would have to say that unfortunately this program is so full of half truths and was so emotionally manipulative that any genuine concerns of breeders and fanciers over the future of their breeds was lost in the sensationalism that was the basis of this 'documentary' style program. It is a fact that the simple hypothosis of this program is that breeders (noting that any distingishment of it only being applicable to the UK is superficial at best) are killing the public's beloved breeds through an egotistical and selfish desire to produce animals that meet a superficial criteria called the breed standard.

As I'm sure you are aware, this is not an accurate hypothosis, and insulting to say the least. To push such a blanket perception is at best the result of lazy and inept research, at worst just plain malicious. Indeed, at no point does the program aedequately acknowledge the contribution that breeders and supporters of the dog world make to both veterinary and human science, and the millions of dollars poured into research that comes from the pedigree dog world. It also makes no mention of the problems with so-called designer breeds, or the issues relating to the mass production of puppies, the constant concern for all ethical breeders. It presents the canine authorities as fools, breeders as either blind or arrogant, and the future of the pedigree dog world as doomed to extinction as a result of genetic inbreeding and terrible disease, all human created.

As such, it has a very narrow hypothesis and its methodology is flawed to say the least. If I was presented this as serious research, I'd be telling the student to start again. Unfortunately, there is no such standard for robust and defensible argument when making a program to be aired on commercial television.

So, while I'm glad you feel something positive has come out of it, I am personally yet to see this myself.

For those interested, here is the site for the full Report,and reasons for the Editorial Standards Committee Rejecting the Complainants Complaints.

www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/assets...10feb_mar.pdf

Bet Hargreaves

I agree with lappiemum, if the doco had not been so biased and full of untruths, it might have been taken more seriously.

However, it has made me do quite a lot of research, and I have gained information I probably wouldnt have gained otherwise.

and sadly it has seen some of the GOOD breeders give up on that breed

Yes, that has happened here too, and they are breeders who we shouldn't lose. The ones who were taking the breed forward in the best possible way.

Interestingly, I have spoken to 2 of the oldest and best respected breeders in the country, and neither has ever seen SM, although they do know quite a bit about it.

and sadly it has seen some of the GOOD breeders give up on that breed

Yes, that has happened here too, and they are breeders who we shouldn't lose. The ones who were taking the breed forward in the best possible way.

Interestingly, I have spoken to 2 of the oldest and best respected breeders in the country, and neither has ever seen SM, although they do know quite a bit about it.

having been in the breed for 30+ years ..... I think many "old" & "respected" breeders whilst they might not have seen it may well have had some suspicions.

and ... yes - most of us know quite a bit about it ... and that was before PDE !!!