Selecting A Crate For A Golden Retriever

goldee

Hi,

Im new here. In a few weeks i am getting my first Golden Retriever! I have read a lot about Crate Training and am going to do that. I am having a bit of trouble selecting a crate. I found a place that sells them, half the price of stores!

They have:

Extra Large Crate - Length 110cm / Width 70cm / Height 80cm (42")

Large Crate - Length 90cm / Width 60cm / Height 65cm (36")

Medium Crate - Length 75cm Width 50cm / Height 57cm (30")

It says a Golden Retriever will fit in the extra large. Price is good. But when measuring the crate, it seems HUGE! My main aim is to house train it etc etc.

If you crate train, do you have to stick with it for the rest of its life or can you allow it to sleep on a dog bed (either those raised ones, or a soft cushiony bed)?

Is it better to go with the Extra Large? or can i get away with a smaller one? Price isn't an issue. they also sell dividers, so it will be made smaller when its a pup.

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by goldee

I would definately go with the XL. I personally bought an XXL for my goldie. She doesn't use it anymore but when she was young, I filled it with eyeless plush toys and she loved spreading her entire body out in it amongst the plush toys. I think space is nice to they can sleep in any position they desire.

ETA: My girl is now almost 12 months and is allowed to sleep anywhere she likes. You can just crate them until you trust them enough to let them sleep whereever. Dont have to crate forever if you dont want to!

Edited by Bub

From the dimensions you have shown, the XL is most definitely the most appropriate size for your GR into adulthood.

I understand and appreciate that your main application for the crate is crate training for whilst the dog is a pup, but I feel almost certain the you will find great benefit for using the crate at other times also during your dog's life.

Crates are amazing handy tools to have for teaching respect of confinement when need be, also protection for your pup/dog when visitors come over. Crating helps teach your pup/dog to feel comfortable in his.her own company, which is a very integral component when raising a pup.

Also your dog may well very quickly decide that he/she wants to sleep in the crate every night, and there is nothing wrong with that provided it also suits you.

I would not advise you attempt to cramp any GR into any of the other sizes once fully grown for over night stays.

Having said this, you MIGHT get away with the Large if your GR is a bitch and is expected to grow under Breed Standard in height, and you have absolutely no intentions of crating the dog in adulthood.

Best wishes with your new baby.

Edited by dyzney

It says a Golden Retriever will fit in the extra large. Price is good. But when measuring the crate, it seems HUGE! My main aim is to house train it etc etc.

Is it better to go with the Extra Large? or can i get away with a smaller one? Price isn't an issue. they also sell dividers, so it will be made smaller when its a pup.

Buy the extra large size and buy a divider to use while the puppy is growing (using the divider will cause less problems while housebreaking the pup.) It is more cheaper too.

If you crate train, do you have to stick with it for the rest of its life or can you allow it to sleep on a dog bed (either those raised ones, or a soft cushiony bed

Opinions on this tend to vary. The way I see it, is that the risks of leaving a dog uncrated are much higher than any downsides of crating. You can be assured that while your dog is home alone in the crate, it's not going to get into trouble or possibly injure itself. It depends on how confident you feel letting your dog wandering around freely inside your home.

Good luck with your new puppy :cry:

Thanks for the replies.

I had found some other sites on the internet of Golden owners and a few said the 42" was too big and the 36" is fine.

I might have ot see if a pet store has them to see them in person but buy online as they were 3 times the price in the shops!

When its older, it may sleep outside in a kennel. Have to see how it goes really, but very unliekly that i'll keep her in the crate to sleep when she is fully grown.

More than anything, its just the size of the crate! they seem so massive! Its hard to find a place to put it!

36" will be too small. I have that size for my Staffords and I tried my old dog in there who's a Lab X Rotty so about Golden height and it was way too small for him.

36" will be too small. I have that size for my Staffords and I tried my old dog in there who's a Lab X Rotty so about Golden height and it was way too small for him.

Bugger! Is that fully grown that it was too small for him?

i dont want it to be too small, its just a matter of finding a place to put it as when i measured it out it felt like it will be massive!

maybe its better to be on the safe side. dont want her being all cramped up in there.

Bugger! Is that fully grown that it was too small for him?

i dont want it to be too small, its just a matter of finding a place to put it as when i measured it out it felt like it will be massive!

maybe its better to be on the safe side. dont want her being all cramped up in there.

Yes fully grown.

The 42" will be perfect.

I have this size and yes, while it's a huge monstrosity in my living room, it serves a purpose when required.

I bought mine to keep my Goldie in it after he had a couple of cruciate ops - he wasn't crate trained and as much as we practiced before the ops, he really wasn't happy in it so it's rarely been used.

I have kept it though as my next puppy will be crate trained.

The 42" will be perfect.

I have this size and yes, while it's a huge monstrosity in my living room, it serves a purpose when required.

I bought mine to keep my Goldie in it after he had a couple of cruciate ops - he wasn't crate trained and as much as we practiced before the ops, he really wasn't happy in it so it's rarely been used.

I have kept it though as my next puppy will be crate trained.

Thanks.

If the crate wont be used when its fully grown, is it still better to buy that size? ( i guess in a 'just in case' situation)

Def the XL. Even if not used full time, they come in really handy, such as after ops, or visiting children. For the dog or the child I would say :laugh: if you crate tain a pup, they usually like their crate anyhow in my experience.

If the crate wont be used when its fully grown, is it still better to buy that size? ( i guess in a 'just in case' situation)

Depends if you have the room to store it.

Mine goes under the spare bed and lives there unless someone asks to borrow it. I think it's been lent out more times than I have even used it! :laugh:

I have the 42' for my boy.

Hubby made a divider and we moved it back as he grew.

He no longer uses his crate as he can be trusted to be left in the house and not distroy anything. His now 2yr's.

It was well worth crate training him.

He still goes in it at show's but isnt keen on it like some other dog's Ive heard of.

I will alway's crate train my future dog's