Offering More Money For The Pick

ncarter

Just thought i'd ask your opinion on something. I was talking to a breeder the other day. And he said what he does is offer more money for pick of the litter. Like say your dogs are being sold for $1000 each, he will offer the breeder $2000 for the pick of the litter. Does this happen very often? And what I was wondering is how you guys would react in such a situation. Would you take any offense to such an offer?

He also tries to buy older dogs that have already done some winning to increase his chances of success at shows. Not that this is bad thing, i just find it interesting that there seems to be a bit of wheeling and dealing going on.

Edited by ncarter

There's an old saying "everything has a price".

With some people, I have no doubt that is true.

For MY part, it gets on my nerve when people try to do that to me. I breed for myself first and foremost anyway so my pick is my pick for a reason.

As for offering more for older dogs that have done some winning.....if a dog is for sale, or if I would consider selling it then it is noted as such on my website or via private correspondence. But my price is my price.

If somebody contacted me out of the blue offering me XXXX for a dog that isn't for sale, then they'd get a short email telling them that the dog isn't for sale (or a short no if the enquiry is via telephone) and if they persist then subsequent emails would go in the round filing cabinet and their name would be kept on file for future reference.

Just thought i'd ask your opinion on something. I was talking to a breeder the other day. And he said what he does is offer more money for pick of the litter. Like say your dogs are being sold for $1000 each, he will offer the breeder $2000 for the pick of the litter. Does this happen very often? And what I was wondering is how you guys would react in such a situation. Would you take any offense to such an offer?

He also tries to buy older dogs that have already done some winning to increase his chances of success at shows. Not that this is bad thing, i just find it interesting that there seems to be a bit of wheeling and dealing going on.

I know a breeder that sells her pick of the litter actually cheaper :banghead:

I personally wouldn't pay "more" for the pick. :eek:

I breed to keep the best puppy for us and our future needs, and the price of a puppy is the price of a puppy - no variations. I was recently offered a very large sum of money for my young dog Ryder by an overseas agent. He's not for sale - regardless of the amount offered but it took several polite rebuttals for the point to be made. To some the almighty $$$ rules - I guess.

mine all the same price regardless,

I had a woman ring me about a puppy in my recent litter and said she would double what I was asking for a puppy that was already sold !! :rofl:

she was none too impressed when I told her he was going to a lovely home with a great family, she got shirty with me and said " well how much do you want then??"

I promptly hung up !!! :thumbsup:

I would have no problem if someone wanted to offer double for pick, provided it wasn't my choice of pick of litter!!

However, it does make me wonder how the dogs are treated if someone is willing to throw money to get 'the best' what happens to the ones who don't quite make the grade?