When It's Not Okay To Play

corvus

I LOVE having two young dogs close in age that act like complete hooligans with each other. Watching them play puts a smile on my dile and puts me in a good mood. Well, not always... Sometimes it seems like the boys will play any time, anywhere. Just when you're trying to do something they crack out a toy and start wrestling it out of each other's mouths, or they're rolling around on the ground biting each other and making all that noise, or they're suddenly hooning around the place jumping on and rolling each other. I sometimes find myself shaking my head and watching bemusedly. Or telling them "Boys! Cut that out!". I've got a list, now, of times when I have discovered a sudden round of canine wrestling does not bring on a lighter mood. :)

* When we are walking them down the street on leash.

* On our bed (particularly when I'm in it).

* On the couch (particularly when I'm on it).

* When I'm trying to brush one of them.

* When I'm trying to dremel their nails.

* When I'm attempting to play fetch with one.

* When I have just lined them up to show someone their latest tricks.

* In the bedroom when we are trying to sleep.

* When tied to separate poles in someone's backyard while we're talking.

* When trying to share with someone the virtues of owning a cuddly Lapphund or a sparky Vallhund.

* When I am on the phone and can't hear over the noise.

Maybe it's just me that thinks it's funny when you find yourself saying things like "Boys! No playing on the bed!" and having to pause mid-conversation while you break them up because everyone is watching the dogs with a mixture of amusement and concern. Before these guys I never thought I'd ever need to tell my dogs to stop playing around. They just didn't do it that often. Does anyone else have dogs that play in bizarre and inappropriate situations?

Don't know that I'd call it bizarre, but my two are the same, they will play anywhere, any time: on my bed, under my feet while I'm trying to cook dinner, playing fetch, when I'm on the phone, etc etc.

I have had to make a rule "no playing in the house" as it is just too much! Especially as Leia is a growler, so it's noisy!!

efs

Edited by macka

I have a similar situation. BR= Before Rosie. Luci used to enjoy sleep on couch, sleeping on my bed, on my feet. Now we live in the era of WR= with Rosie. Luci now wrestles and plays mouthies on my couch..."cut it out guys im trying to watch this thing on tv". Then on the bed "Cut it out girlies Im trying to sleep". And as for my feet- well my socks have sufferred due to the horseplay around my toes at the computer. Yes life changed when Rosie came along. Makes life interesting.

:laugh: I have a very similar list, but with mine it's 3 and occasionally 4. Cooper doesn't join in the younger ones shananigans but occasionally feels the need to carry on like a holigan :)

Most of the time inside the house I think they are kind of showing off or attention seeking. As soon as I walk out of the room they stop! The phone is my biggest bug bear if we are all in the same room together and the dogs are asleep and then the phone rings they start to play right under my feet, I usually go into another room. :)

I love that they all play together and they do provide endless entertainment. I hope they always do it at least even to some degree when they are older, will have to wait and see.

Getting out of the shower can be an adventure. Charlie likes to lay on the rug and waits while I have a shower... well since Miss Em came along, she has claim the bathroom as her area (Charlie has a spot in the living room by the sliding windows), and so she insist that rug in hers (doesn't matter that we've set up a little bed in there for her AND we have another rug in that bathroom). They will play from the moment I get in the shower till I get out of the shower.. then they fight on who gets to lick my leg first *sigh*

In Charlie's crate. They are taking turn jumping in and out of crate while pouncing and launching at each other.

At any doorway because they like waiting for each other, when one comes near, Emmy will either pounce on Charlie or Charlie will hit Emmy with a toy that's in his mouth. Which starts their playing at the spot.

Getting out of the shower can be an adventure. Charlie likes to lay on the rug and waits while I have a shower... well since Miss Em came along, she has claim the bathroom as her area (Charlie has a spot in the living room by the sliding windows), and so she insist that rug in hers (doesn't matter that we've set up a little bed in there for her AND we have another rug in that bathroom). They will play from the moment I get in the shower till I get out of the shower.. then they fight on who gets to lick my leg first *sigh*

In Charlie's crate. They are taking turn jumping in and out of crate while pouncing and launching at each other.

At any doorway because they like waiting for each other, when one comes near, Emmy will either pounce on Charlie or Charlie will hit Emmy with a toy that's in his mouth. Which starts their playing at the spot.

My two are leg-lickers too! :)

Guest belgian.blue

The joys of two or more dogs!

I've had two dogs three weeks as of today and I'm loving it. Though Badg is going through his real man attutide stage at the moment .. little shit!

But I love them both to bits :heart:

One more week and we can start getting out and about as he will be 12 weeks!!!

eta .. I have a list but I'm just about to go home, wasting the last ten minutes until I can sneak out hehe

Edited by belgian.blue