How Would A Cavalier And German Shepherd Go Together?

Sunnyflower a well bred GSD should not be highly strung. When I got my shep I had a litter of 2 cav pups 4 weeks younger than the shep. They got extremely well. One pup went to Qld to live with huskies, no problems.

Other pup returned everyweekend to show. They both grew at their expected rates and are still the best of mates.

It is not uncommon to see all the cavs curled up with the shep in her crate.

Earlier this year we had a griffon pup who shared the sheps crate.

There is no reason once the GSD is older that it can not run with your partner.

It's not about being over sharp (highly strung) it's about natural prey drive in play..........big dog versus small dog. If the Cav is submissive and doesn't put the GSD puppy in it's place early, the GSD as it grows will chase the Cav all over the place and want to play ear tug, leg tug, rugby tackles etc etc. If the GSD is a dominant puppy and scares the Cav, the GSD won't leave it alone and can easily make the Cav's life miserable. It's not an aggressive response, it's hard play :eek:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like many questions here on DOL, there are too many variables to give a totally accurate response. I have very little first hand experience with GSD but 16 years exp with large and small dogs. The one really accurate answer is it will depend on individual dogs and how they are handled. All the IW I have had have been very true to type but their behaviour has varied greatly. My 2 Aussie Terriers are chalk and cheese - our first one a bitter & twisted wee beastie with an immense chip on his shoulder and our current one is a little ray of sunshine. Both, however, have adored the wolfhounds.

I don't have a true pecking order as such in this house - there's my husband & I and then the dogs. I will not allow a small dog to annoy a hound nor allow a hound to rough-house a terrier. They all play a lot but always supervised so no-one gets hurt. I truly believe the main problem with dogs today is that they are humanised a little too much. They are not hairy people, they are dogs and too treat them any other way is not showing them any respect.

Off my soap box.

post-30656-1274095625_thumb.jpg

A lot depends on the individual temperaments of the dogs and how you manage the integration.

A young GSD could make a more passive small dog's life a living hell, not to mention inadvertently hurting it. I"d be figuring out separate areas for when they couldn't be supervised.

Personally I think it's easier to add the small dog into a household with a mature larger dog.

I agree with Poodlefan totally. Never mind about these soft placid GSD's you hear about..........they are not good examples of the breed and lack the traits of a true GSD. If you purchase a GSD bred to type, they are high in prey drive, they chase, bite as puppies and play hard and a little dog unable to cope with the GSD physical size can cop a hiding, not from aggression, but just pure rough play. The more the little dog runs away generally in fear of the GSD's size, the harder the GSD will chase and capture.

It is managable and is not impossible to create harmony, but hard work with constant supervision of their interactions. I have the opposite at present with high drive 3 year old GSD and a 12 week old GSD puppy and the 3 year old is a trained dog, but you have to watch them with such a massive size difference as the small dog/puppy can be easily hurt or frightened :(

Geez I would not like to meet your GSD. :):mad:mad

I agree BB :eek:

Black Bronson :mad we dont need that debate AGAIN

Sunny Flower my GSd Jazzy is 12 month old and plays with the Cavvie next door and he also played with both of my girls together, when Bryds was here, and she was only 18 months so still a pup as well.

If he is out the front with his mum or dad he is straight over to play, he loves them. Of course pups are pups and can get rough but they adjust to size of their mates.

Bryd's best mate was my sisters Whippet who gave her what for if she got too rough :(

I could let any dog or pup play with my girl, and thats exactly how it should be IMO, because thats a good temperament.

That's great Carlibud if you think that all GSD's should be a Golden Retriever dressed in GSD uniform, but you don't know what type of GSD the OP may end up with..........it could be a working line GSD for all we know and the OP has asked a question and deserves a true account of the breed from all perspectives. It's hardly a consolation to the OP once a high drive GSD injures her little Cav to say "oh my GSD's wouldn't do that" well mine could easily because of their drive levels and desire to chase and win the game. Not everyone breeds GSD's like yours Carlibud and the OP needs to be aware of that, don't you think that's fair and honest :laugh:

ive said it here before and some disagreed

but ill stick to my guns and tell you of my experience with my gsd

i am a fan of them

i still admire them

they are so loyal and devoted...it is really touching

my gsd came from qld '

i chose him myself and he wqas a sweet submissive pup

but when we wnet home he was introduced to my dominant dachshund

all was fine til the gsd reached nine months

a fight ensued over a ball

dachsie went for the gsd and that was the final straw

gsd killed him

i always think of it as me killing my darling dachsie

cos it wqas my inexperience of putting two dogs together

they were both desexed

but i think the problem was ..was that both dogs wanted me badly

and were very possessive

even though nothing happened til the ball incident

it was all simmering no doubt but i had no experience with reading signals

ive had a cav

much softer nature than a dachsie who can be quite fiesty with other dogs

so there is a definite chance that your cav will just mellow out even more and succumb totally to your new gsd

but gsds do want to be with you

they can be possessive of their owner and naturally protective

because of my experience ill never have a gsd again

but thats a personal thing

cos id want to get another dog as well and id always be wary

its a big price to pay...getting the combination right

personally i think you get something aloof with the gsd

let the gsd have the luxury of your attention and the other dog should be a breed that is more independent and not so needy

of course you can train any dog

goood luck

cos if the training isnt spot on

theres a lot to lose

i cant speak with any great authority

there are people here who can speak from more experience

and maybe i was just darn unlucky

still

wouldnt take a chance

dont get me wrong either

im not afraid of gsds

even though my boy turned my dachsie into a rack of lamb in seconds

i know they are marvellous dogs

and any big dog could do damage to a little one and in some cases vice versa applies

if i had a cav id get another mellow breed like a golden retriever or lab..maybe even a nice spaniel

Thanks for sharing your experience, an excellent HONEST post :eek: My condolences for your poor little Daschie, sadly with large size differences, it can happen.

Black Bronson, how are you managing those aggression issues?

What aggression issues :eek: , I am talking about prey drive???

My girl has plenty. No birds in our yard now. We have a tiny Whippet bitch a 3 month old baby, a 2 year old and 4 year old. Balls fly everywhere, kids run everywhere, people visit with fluffy dogs.

My bitch is obedient, under control, has manners, and plenty of prey drive. She has 45 minutes of 'chasing' her ball off lead a day whilst running around WITH the kids and not after them. She does not chase the Whippet, its the opposite. The Whippet is rude and dominant but displays excellent manners around people. Kimba (Shepherd)is extremely intelligent hence the control I am able to have over her.

I think GSD's can be quite full on when they are young. My girl is 14 months old and plays quite rough, and when playing with smaller dogs she tends to 'paw' at them to catch them and interact with them which can be too rough with the little dogs! She has gotten better, but I wouldn't get a smaller sized dog as her companion til she was a few years older and a bit less enthusiastic! :eek:

Correct..............now tells us Shyla hasn't got a good temperament Carlibud???. Shelle has explained exactly what GSD's do and they often don't realise their strength over small dogs until it's too late and as Shelle has told us first hand, they can and do often play too rough :(

I think GSD's can be quite full on when they are young. My girl is 14 months old and plays quite rough, and when playing with smaller dogs she tends to 'paw' at them to catch them and interact with them which can be too rough with the little dogs! She has gotten better, but I wouldn't get a smaller sized dog as her companion til she was a few years older and a bit less enthusiastic! :eek:

Correct..............now tells us Shyla hasn't got a good temperament Carlibud???. Shelle has explained exactly what GSD's do and they often don't realise their strength over small dogs until it's too late and as Shelle has told us first hand, they can and do often play too rough :(

And there are plenty who do realise their strength and do play nicely with small dogs! There are small dogs who play too roughly with large dogs also - its about finding the right combination. I bred the GSD in the photos that Pixie posted, curled up with the JRT and I know he has excellent prey drive and yet he gets along well with his little friends and cats too.

Love that photo Showdog :eek: I also have a lovely soft placid but confident GSd that loves playing with puppies too :(

I wish aI could get some clear shots of Jazz with the Mary the pointer i have here kissing each other it can go on for 10 mins sometimes :) I just love to see different breeds together its lovely :mad

You don't have any shot's of Jazz's character test do you Calibud...........what's her score in protection phase just out of interest??? :mad

Mine is almost 16 months. She listens to commands. I dont assume every situation wil be fine and dont take risks, therefore our situation with our beautiful WGSD and small dogs + 3 kids under 5 works + offlead dog parks works fine.

Even in working lines you can get some that are more placid and more suitable for pets than work :eek:

A lot of working line GSD breeders that have websites I have noticed in their puppy forms have a choice of pet/work/sport on their form :(I would certainly pick on temperament, take time to research your breeder, try to talk to other people who have dogs from them, to see if you like the sort of dogs they breed, especially in a breed like the GSD. Regardless of whether you go for show or working line.

They are the same dogs Kavik, except the lower drive puppies will normally be selected for pet only homes and the driven and more dominant puppies selected for work and sport.

Geez Black Bronson - way to give GSD's a good rap!!! NOT! I'm currently seeing working lines GSD's every day if i can manage it - and each and every one of them has been a gentle smoocher with me, but put them to work and they'll rip you a new one.

A true GSD is an alrounder - My GSD at the the million paws walk yesterday was a true gentleman with dogs big, small and tiny yesterday - yet come into my yard uninvited and he along with my other one will tear you a new one. He's not 'true' working lines tho his parents were working security dogs - fully papered tho.

Sunny - a well bred GSD (eg temp, type, health) will fit in well, however they won't be running for a good while due to age. It may be worth looking into a young adult GSD either from a rescue or from a breeder/showie who has run on a dog but has decided to rehome the dog. Here is a great place to ask your questions but remember people have their own opinions :mad So take from it what you will and i wish you the best in picking your GSD - they are seriously wonderful dogs :(

We talking prey drive and small dogs Kitkat...........mine are gentle smoochers also which isn't relevent to rough play. The point is, we can't guarantee what the OP may purchase.........perhaps a fear biter, then what :eek: Let's just provide our experiences and let the OP decide what they want :)

And there are plenty who do realise their strength and do play nicely with small dogs! There are small dogs who play too roughly with large dogs also - its about finding the right combination. I bred the GSD in the photos that Pixie posted, curled up with the JRT and I know he has excellent prey drive and yet he gets along well with his little friends and cats too.

Perhaps we should be explaining to the OP how she would go about choosing from a litter of 8 week old puppies, which puppy will make the "right combination"???

I thought we were also talking a puppy and small dogs - and we are also suggesting a well bred pup, or an adult of which the temp can be understood before purchase. My bigger GSD was not brought up around small dogs or kids - yet he is careful with both. Perhaps he is one of those 'soft incorrect GSD types'?

Actually perhaps his type would be better suited to the OP then your idea of a 'real' GSD?

ETA - a well bred pup would of course be from a good breeder who will know the the type of home the pup is going to and suggest the best pup from their litters for them, or even suggest a pup from another breeder.

To the OP - Check out the MDBA (now linked :eek: ) They are likely a good start as well :(

Edited by KitKat

I thought we were also talking a puppy and small dogs - and we are also suggesting a well bred pup, or an adult of which the temp can be understood before purchase. My bigger GSD was not brought up around small dogs or kids - yet he is careful with both. Perhaps he is one of those 'soft incorrect GSD types'?

Actually perhaps his type would be better suited to the OP then your idea of a 'real' GSD?

ETA - a well bred pup would of course be from a good breeder who will know the the type of home the pup is going to and suggest the best pup from their litters for them, or even suggest a pup from another breeder.

To the OP - Check out the MDBA (now linked :laugh: ) They are likely a good start as well :laugh:

How long will a GSD puppy remain smaller than a Cav...........a month???. And the GSD puppy will chase the Cav around and bite with it's needle sharp teeth........as they do at 8 to 20 weeks or so. I am yet to find anyone breeding GSD puppies that don't chase and bite with needle sharps at that age and if the Cav doesn't like it, there is an issue developing as the GSD gets bigger and bigger. Yes, introducing a small puppy to large adult dog that has manners is better, but training manners into a young large puppy doesn't happen overnight. The question: "how will a GSD puppy go with a Cav"........it could be hard work.........especially if the Cav is submissive and runs away a lot which in all seriousness is a fair perception.

I think GSD's can be quite full on when they are young. My girl is 14 months old and plays quite rough, and when playing with smaller dogs she tends to 'paw' at them to catch them and interact with them which can be too rough with the little dogs! She has gotten better, but I wouldn't get a smaller sized dog as her companion til she was a few years older and a bit less enthusiastic! :laugh:

Correct..............now tells us Shyla hasn't got a good temperament Carlibud???. Shelle has explained exactly what GSD's do and they often don't realise their strength over small dogs until it's too late and as Shelle has told us first hand, they can and do often play too rough ;)

:laugh:

I know I shouldnt bite , but where did I say a GSD playing rough hasnt a good temp????????,

What I do say is that not all GSD's will / have to, have a high prey drive and because they havnt, dosnt mean they are weak nerved dogs for goodness sake :rofl:

Your post is implying that all GSdDs will/should hunt a cavvy down and attack it if it runs, due to having, that high prey drive. You say you have a highly trained dog and yet your dog wouldnt be able to be trusted with small dogs by the sounds of it, you say he has to be watched constantly so he dosnt hurt the puppy , or am I reading that whole post wrong ???? ;)

Well I hope that they wouldnt all have temps like that, I wouldnt have one in my yard if I thought they did.

Sorry but I dont agree with this comment at all, as seen in photos, alot of GSd's play and live with small dogs and dont hurt them, If Shyla was to have constant small dogs to play, she might learn that it isnt the thing to do and learn to play gentle, yes they do the bop on the head pat when they want them to play or stop but its not an attack thing . But it also dosnt mean she has a bad temp cause she plays rough :laugh: alot of difference BB

Why do all GSD's have to have a high prey drive to have a TRUE GSD temp?????, which is your opinion. You say that any dog that dosnt have that high prey drive is going to be a fear biter , well sorry but I think you are wrong again.

Of course GSD Puppies have needle sharp teeth, but so do all puppies, so even if they got another cavvy puppy it would also bite an older one and be put in its place more than likely. So using that excuse is a bit silly :)

Sorry Sunny but constant talk like this really gets to me. The GSD if in the right hands is a wonderful smart, intelligent breed, and can live with any breed of dog. In the wrong hands well , that also goes for alot of breeds.

Anyway hopefully the OP does look into the right puppy to suit their family, and it should be the same no matter what breed they get, but hopefully they will get the best breed in the world :laugh::)

I think GSD's can be quite full on when they are young. My girl is 14 months old and plays quite rough, and when playing with smaller dogs she tends to 'paw' at them to catch them and interact with them which can be too rough with the little dogs! She has gotten better, but I wouldn't get a smaller sized dog as her companion til she was a few years older and a bit less enthusiastic! :laugh:

Correct..............now tells us Shyla hasn't got a good temperament Carlibud???. Shelle has explained exactly what GSD's do and they often don't realise their strength over small dogs until it's too late and as Shelle has told us first hand, they can and do often play too rough :rofl:

:laugh:

I know I shouldnt bite , but where did I say a GSD playing rough hasnt a good temp????????,

What I do say is that not all GSD's will / have to, have a high prey drive and because they havnt, dosnt mean they are weak nerved dogs for goodness sake ;)

Your post is implying that all GSdDs will/should hunt a cavvy down and attack it if it runs, due to having, that high prey drive. You say you have a highly trained dog and yet your dog wouldnt be able to be trusted with small dogs by the sounds of it, you say he has to be watched constantly so he dosnt hurt the puppy , or am I reading that whole post wrong ???? :laugh:

Well I hope that they wouldnt all have temps like that, I wouldnt have one in my yard if I thought they did.

Sorry but I dont agree with this comment at all, as seen in photos, alot of GSd's play and live with small dogs and dont hurt them, If Shyla was to have constant small dogs to play, she might learn that it isnt the thing to do and learn to play gentle, yes they do the bop on the head pat when they want them to play or stop but its not an attack thing . But it also dosnt mean she has a bad temp cause she plays rough :) alot of difference BB

Why do all GSD's have to have a high prey drive to have a TRUE GSD temp?????, which is your opinion. You say that any dog that dosnt have that high prey drive is going to be a fear biter , well sorry but I think you are wrong again.

Of course GSD Puppies have needle sharp teeth, but so do all puppies, so even if they got another cavvy puppy it would also bite an older one and be put in its place more than likely. So using that excuse is a bit silly :vomit:

Sorry Sunny but constant talk like this really gets to me. The GSD if in the right hands is a wonderful smart, intelligent breed, and can live with any breed of dog. In the wrong hands well , that also goes for alot of breeds.

Anyway hopefully the OP does look into the right puppy to suit their family, and it should be the same no matter what breed they get, but hopefully they will get the best breed in the world :laugh::sick:

Carlibud, I didn't say the GSD should attack the Cav, they chase and latch on, they wrestle in play, my 3 and 8 year old wrestle all the time and love each other the best of friends, it's what they do, never a hint of aggression..........but, that type of play with a little Cav.........it's too small for rough and tumble large dog play you would need to be on top of it is my opinion that's all :laugh:

I didn't talk about nerve either, that's another story, but prey drive is necessary in the GSD to be able to perform in the working roles set out for the breed and some have more prey drive than others. Some don't have enough prey drive to work at all. A GSD depending on the lines can vary greatly in drive and some can exhibit over sharp aggression and not all are perfect in temperament or stable in mind it just depends.

It's not fair to the OP in this thread to generalise that any GSD puppy she may purchase will be a meek and mild, gentle sooky soul with minimal drive. My little 12 week old working line boy was hanging off my 8 years old's tail tonight with a full bite ;) because he wagged his tail and the puppy thought would be fun to grab hold of :laugh: The old boy snarled at him and the puppy got off and sooked up to him and was put in his place. My little boy would monster a Cav already at 12 weeks. This puppy behaviour is not limited to working lines either, plenty of drivey showlines too, they are all GSD's :)

Some do breed for mildness........personally I don't like those dogs as they don't work well which workability is my passion for the breed, but some do breed workability so for the OP's question, we can't generalise as there are different types of GSD breedings out there. If the OP got one that ticks "all the boxes" in the breed standard in regard to working genetics, the puppy will be a drivey little thing possibly too much for a Cav is what I am saying.

Some will class a great temperament as mildness and a friendly softness, others will class a great temperament as sharp and aggressive, given that the question, "what's a GSD like???", it covers a fairly broad spectrum which come in different styles :sleep:

I would recommend a mature shepherd - Save-a-shepherd has many looking for homes, and they are so beautiful. You can see what you are getting, character wise, and they can advise on whether a particular dog is good with smaller dogs.

I had a GSD (many years ago) who found a baby bird on the front lawn and woofed for me to come see. He was protecting it!! HOWZAT??? However, he was not good with other dogs! they can be complicated, as they are such an intelligent breed. choose carefully and good luck....

LOVE GSD'S thank you for your suggestions in saving an older shepherd, I am very aware of the dogs that are needing help as I have foster before and helped a number of rescue groups out. I have put this to Marcus but as this will be his first dog really apart from when he was little he wants to get a pup. This is his choice and I wouldn't push him into getting a rescue as I got my pup.

Also as shepherds can have hip and elbow problems we'd rather pay more from a breeder with the comfort of knowing the pups history.

ive said it here before and some disagreed

but ill stick to my guns and tell you of my experience with my gsd

i am a fan of them

i still admire them

they are so loyal and devoted...it is really touching

my gsd came from qld '

i chose him myself and he wqas a sweet submissive pup

but when we wnet home he was introduced to my dominant dachshund

all was fine til the gsd reached nine months

a fight ensued over a ball

dachsie went for the gsd and that was the final straw

gsd killed him

i always think of it as me killing my darling dachsie

cos it wqas my inexperience of putting two dogs together

they were both desexed

but i think the problem was ..was that both dogs wanted me badly

and were very possessive

even though nothing happened til the ball incident

it was all simmering no doubt but i had no experience with reading signals

ive had a cav

much softer nature than a dachsie who can be quite fiesty with other dogs

so there is a definite chance that your cav will just mellow out even more and succumb totally to your new gsd

but gsds do want to be with you

they can be possessive of their owner and naturally protective

because of my experience ill never have a gsd again

but thats a personal thing

cos id want to get another dog as well and id always be wary

its a big price to pay...getting the combination right

personally i think you get something aloof with the gsd

let the gsd have the luxury of your attention and the other dog should be a breed that is more independent and not so needy

of course you can train any dog

goood luck

cos if the training isnt spot on

theres a lot to lose

i cant speak with any great authority

there are people here who can speak from more experience

and maybe i was just darn unlucky

still

wouldnt take a chance

dont get me wrong either

im not afraid of gsds

even though my boy turned my dachsie into a rack of lamb in seconds

i know they are marvellous dogs

and any big dog could do damage to a little one and in some cases vice versa applies

if i had a cav id get another mellow breed like a golden retriever or lab..maybe even a nice spaniel

Percyk so sorry to hear about your little guy getting attacked. That would be absolutely heart breaking!!!

As we all know Cav's wouldn't hurt a fly (although Oscar loves a good fly hunt :D ) and yes him being so mellow is a worry that is why I came here to get some advice.

I'm not saying that I am a fantastic person at training dogs but I can train dogs and am very intune with the surroundings. I rode and competed horses all my life and educated all of them myself and both my Mum and Pop bred and showed dogs so feel as though I have a fairly good idea; I wouldn't say great as I still always have a lot to learn but regardless of the breed the pup we choose to get he will be learning from the day he comes home, going to puppy preschool and doing obedience. And as Marcus and I have spoken about if we were to ever see some behaviour problems in the dog we'd get a professional out to help, we aren't afraid to invest the time or the money into the dog.

A German Shepherd is on the top of his want list and he has also taken a liking to Ridgebacks so we will continue our research into both breeds but a Shepherd is what he really wants.

Here is a soft placid GSD that by one poster is a reject. A true GSD is adaptable to all situations .

My GSD was an entire male,used at stud,show breed from pure german lines

A GSD is all about ownership .

My boy had never meet these dogs but all our big dogs are taught manners & IF THE OWNERS are prepared for reality,prepared to have the house set up for the puppy stages & totally committed it will work but all factors must be consdiered

I will also attach a photo of our other big dogs/small dog combos

Absolutely beautiful Showdog... Thank you!

I have put everything ugly to my partner to see if he would be turned off and he hasn't been. I am fully aware of what we are in for, I am not kidding myself as I said to him it will be a lot of hard work and he is happy to do that. He wants a mate of his own. I have Oscar and he wants his own. :)

As a kid, my best friend's family had a Maltese and a succession of GSDs- the little one was the boss!! Thanks to them, I love GSDs and if I was in the right circumstances would have one in a heartbeat! :laugh:
I have been emailing two breeders but one is for a working line as Marcus runs 40km's at least a week I thought maybe the working line would be better for this. Could I be wrong?

I could be wrong, but arent working lines bred for protection work? :o If so I would be a bit concerned about that if you are novice GSD owners.

Personally, I wouldnt get a working line dog of any breed unless I was going to "work" it, but thats just me. :)

Most fit dogs could cope with that kind of workout, my GR would cope if we built up to it (she has regularly done about 24kms a week). Also, remember that as a large breed your GSD pup wouldnt be able to run like that for some time.

Especially as you are concerned for your cav, I'd be picking more on the basis of temperament.

deelee I don't know much about German Shepherds and am reading up as much as I can before we get the monster. I thought because Marcus runs massive amounts of Km's a week a working line would be more suited to this but a very lovely lady emailed me and said that I wouldn't need a working line as he will constantly be on the go and have no real down time. So thankfully I got that cause we could have ended up with a complete hypo one, which could have been scary. :D

deelee I don't know much about German Shepherds and am reading up as much as I can before we get the monster. I thought because Marcus runs massive amounts of Km's a week a working line would be more suited to this but a very lovely lady emailed me and said that I wouldn't need a working line as he will constantly be on the go and have no real down time. So thankfully I got that cause we could have ended up with a complete hypo one, which could have been scary. :o

Thumbs up for sensible breeders!! :laugh:

Glad to hear it. :D

Even in working lines you can get some that are more placid and more suitable for pets than work :(

A lot of working line GSD breeders that have websites I have noticed in their puppy forms have a choice of pet/work/sport on their form :)I would certainly pick on temperament, take time to research your breeder, try to talk to other people who have dogs from them, to see if you like the sort of dogs they breed, especially in a breed like the GSD. Regardless of whether you go for show or working line.

They are the same dogs Kavik, except the lower drive puppies will normally be selected for pet only homes and the driven and more dominant puppies selected for work and sport.

That is what I meant :laugh: That working line litters sometimes have lower drive pups that would be more suitable as pets than working or sport dogs