Third Dog - What Gender?

Jeannine

Hi!

I'm currently thinking of getting another dog, but can't decide which gender would be best? I already have two male pugs (not desexed), and they get along with each other perfectly. They are absolutely inseperable, affectionate with each other and also love other dogs. Just typical pugs!!

One of them (the older one, 4 years) is the "boss" as soon as I'm not around and takes care of the younger one (3 years) in every situation.

The breed of the new dog would be either Boston terrier or French Bulldog. First I thought a desexed female would be best, because the hierarchy would stay the same. But now I'm not that sure any more...I definitely don't want that my boys try to hump her all the time, don't know if desexing her would prevent that. I have to add that my boys have a nearly unexisting sexuality, they've never been interested in female dogs or humped each other or furniture etc, that's the reason why they are still entire and also will stay entire!

What do you think: male, male, female or 3 males or maybe 2 entire males + 1 desexed male???

Jeannine

I think it depends on the personalities. I have a bossy desexed boy and a mellow desexed boy. I think I would go for a desexed girl next, because of the bossy boy. Maybe go for a different size if number 3 might be bossy as well. My boys don't show any preference for sex and have best pals that are girls and best pals that are boys, but one of my mother's dogs doesn't like boys much. She takes a long time to accept a new boy.

I also think it depends on personality. I have 2 boys and 1 girl, all desexed. The girl (Zoe) was here first and does not like other strange dogs, but will accept puppies into the pack. I thought a male would be best fit, and Diesel is pretty cruisy. So I got another male as Diesel would be OK with another male but I wasn't sure how Zoe would cope with a female. Diesel and Kaos are best mates. Assuming Zoe is still around when I get the next dog (she is 10 1/2) I think I will go for another male, and get a female when Zoe goes to the bridge.

What is the main reason for a third dog??

If the 2 dogs get on like a house on fire what are your expectations of adding a third ??

Bostons & Frenchies can be very spunky dogs so you truly need to match the pup to what you already have & to be honest unless your very dog savvy having 3 entire males may be a disaster.

You you have to understand is your pack gets on great now a 3 males can alter that & an entire male can suddenly become things you dont expect.

If desexing isnt going to be an option then you need to pick wisely to make sure things dont go pear shaped

I'll keep reading this post with interest. We are adding a third dog to our household next year. At present we have one bitch and one dog - both desexed. They will be about 5 yrs by the time the third dog arrives. I'm thinking a dog might be best, but will probably go with whatever prospect the breeder we choose thinks will fit our 'family'.

Will be interesting to see what others have to day.

long ago someone told me

stick with boys

and she was right

id only keep boys if i had multiples

bitches throw things out of whack

they can be so temperamental

if the boys get on then a newcomer should be fine

but ask for a submissive dog

dont get an alpha puppy

get someone from the middle of the pack

Thank you all for your replies. Really interesting what packs exist and how good they work!

The only thing is that most of your dogs are desexed, so still hard to say what is best for two entire boys. I also find it difficult to know if a dog is submissive or dominant if the dog is only 8-10 weeks old, who knows how the dog changes during puberty...?

In general I prefer male dogs, they are just a bit more affectionate...I know how women can be and female dogs aren't really different...but the most important thing is to choose the combination in which the least fights appear, I could never ever give a dog away or see my babies suffer just because I thought another dog would be fancy...

Tough decision, so more opinions more than welcome!

post-22353-1274085852_thumb.jpg