Send Me Your Stuff! Pics Post #42

yellowgirl

I recently sent some pre-loved dog shirts to K9Angel to give to the Blacktown pound dogs and I want to send more, and also to other rescues/shelters if I can.

I have the Simplicity 3939 pattern to make dog shirts and have run a few up for my dogs ... with varying degrees of success :thumbsup: .

If DOLers would like to send me any human clothing that you no longer wear or need - fleecy track suits, pyjamas, dressing gowns, shirts, jumpers (not knitted ones), or anything else that could be turned into a dog shirt/coat, please bring them in or post to my shop:

Fido's Funhouse

305A Payneham Road

Royston Park

SA 5070

I'll bring my sewing machine to the shop and try to run a few up during the quiet times. The shirts won't be anything fantastic, but they'll help keep a shelter pooch a little bit warmer this winter :thanks:

It would be great if other members could make some as well, and also if people involved in rescues and shelters could post the addresses of places who need them so they can be posted directly to that shelter or rescue person.

:laugh:

Edited by yellowgirl

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently sent some pre-loved dog shirts to K9Angel to give to the Blacktown pound dogs and I want to send more, and also to other rescues/shelters if I can.

I have the Simplicity 3939 pattern to make dog shirts and have run a few up for my dogs ... with varying degrees of success :thumbsup: .

If DOLers would like to send me any human clothing that you no longer wear or need - fleecy track suits, pyjamas, dressing gowns, shirts, jumpers (not knitted ones), or anything else that could be turned into a dog shirt/coat, please bring them in or post to my shop:

Fido's Funhouse

305A Payneham Road

Royston Park

SA 5070

I'll bring my sewing machine to the shop and try to run a few up during the quiet times. The shirts won't be anything fantastic, but they'll help keep a shelter pooch a little bit warmer this winter :thanks:

It would be great if other members could make some as well, and also if people involved in rescues and shelters could post the addresses of places who need them so they can be posted directly to that shelter or rescue person.

:laugh:

Would love to get involved and sew some too when i can manage to sew in a straight line - i'm working on it, i promise (-:

Would love to get involved and sew some too when i can manage to sew in a straight line - i'm working on it, i promise (-:

I can sew two bits of material together but not necessarily in a straight line :thumbsup: . I don't think the dogs will mind as long as they're a bit warmer on these chilly nights :thanks:

If others would like to help make shirts, it might be an idea to post an address here (either a PO box, work address, or maybe a local store that would accept postal packages or drop-offs for you) to where DOLers can locally post or drop off their clothing material. I can then add the addresses to the first post of the thread so people can see them easily.

:thumbsup:

I will go through my wardrobe tonight and see what I can dog out. :thanks: I meant to write dig out but typed dog out instead, how fitting.....

It was so funny a couple mths back, one of my own huskies was a little off colour. It was the middle of the night and he seemed to be acting odd (It wasnt an emergency) but I dug out a pink nike shirt from the wardrobe. He looked so funny but it stopped him shivering.

With smaller shirts you dont have to make much alteration, if any, at all. Oh maybe around the private parts :laugh: depending how long the t shirt is.

Dog out :laugh:

I found it a bit of a pain to use people shirts for dogs as people arms go outwards and dog arms go downwards :dancingelephant: and there's always that excess material hanging down . I tried to make shirts from people shirts for my dogs once but with the amount of alterations, it was easier to just make them from a dog shirt pattern :birthday:

I found some old trakky daks last night so I'll have a practise with them shortly :birthday:

Hi,

I just wanted to say that even if shirts aren't great for making dog stuff, old denim jeans (especially men's baggy ones) make great strong dog coats- just use the fabric from around the thigh section, it's about the right size for a medium dog. These "jeans coats" are especially snuggly when lined with polar fleece or some old flanny PJ material. If you keep a pocket on one side, it's great for keeping "poo bags" in when you're on a walk. I will have a look in my sewing stuff and see what I can put to good use, it's meant to be raining this weekend.

Whippetsmum

You might like to try a coat drive.

I did one last year for the Canberra area and DOLers sent heaps of coats,collars and leads and quite a few other bits and pieces suplus to their needs and they all went to DAS (Canberra pound)and local rescue groups. I simply dont have the time this year but the response was phenomenal and many doggies were kept warmer . eg its -6' here right now and the pounds are cold places.

Good Luck and I hope you find/make/get donated lots of doggie winter warmers.

look here.........

Edited by Snowysal

Hi,

I just wanted to say that even if shirts aren't great for making dog stuff, old denim jeans (especially men's baggy ones) make great strong dog coats- just use the fabric from around the thigh section, it's about the right size for a medium dog. These "jeans coats" are especially snuggly when lined with polar fleece or some old flanny PJ material. If you keep a pocket on one side, it's great for keeping "poo bags" in when you're on a walk. I will have a look in my sewing stuff and see what I can put to good use, it's meant to be raining this weekend.

Whippetsmum

Hi Whippetsmum, I can still use old shirts to make dog coats/shirts, it's just a bit harder to try to turn a whole human shirt into a dog shirt :( . I just use the material from the front and back for the dog shirt pattern and start from scratch :) .

Sounds like a great idea Yellowgirl.

I'm moving down the coast soon so will be going through my ridiculously extensive wardrobe. Will definitely be able to find some clothes for you to put to good use. Hope the doggies don't mind wearing couture! :o

Thanks C*P, whatever you can spare will be very much appreciated ;) . The doggies won't mind couture, as long as it's warm couture :)

Oh that's such a sweet thing to do Jo. I'm sure I've got some stuff that could be turned into dog clothes. I will have a look and I'll bring whatever I find up when I come to the shop next weekend. ;)

Hey Colliepaws, hopefully will see you (and a bag of clothes ;) ) in the next week or so :(

You might like to try a coat drive.

I did one last year for the Canberra area and DOLers sent heaps of coats,collars and leads and quite a few other bits and pieces suplus to their needs and they all went to DAS (Canberra pound)and local rescue groups. I simply dont have the time this year but the response was phenomenal and many doggies were kept warmer . eg its -6' here right now and the pounds are cold places.

Good Luck and I hope you find/make/get donated lots of doggie winter warmers.

look here.........

That was a great drive Snowysal, Well done! ;) I'm more than happy to accept ready-made coats too.

I've been giving out leaflets to my customers and I've got a few people who've said they will bring in some clothes/material during the week :)

Thank you Miz J for the bags of fleece material! :D

xxx

You are so welcome and if I come across anything else I will get it to you promptly. Thank you so much for the donation of food for SA Dog Rescue, so much appreciated.

Keep me in mind if you come across a pink camo collar for Gab, her current one with pink skulls on has faded :p Just looked at you t shirts and you have my boxers on there as examples, thanks so much, such a proud mum now

Edited by Miz J

Thank you Robbi for not only paying for postage bags for food to be delivered to an interstate rescue, but also for the big bag of coat material! :dancingelephant:

It's taken a while to get the patterns organised (I've put it all onto cardboard now), but hopefully today I can start some sewing! I've also ordered two other patterns from ebay for larger coats and different coat/shirt patterns.

That would be great Spottychick! ;)

I'm using the Simplicity 3939 pattern, and have just ordered the Simplicity 9520 for larger dogs, and another one but I can't remember what it is ;) . All from ebay. There are quite a few pattern stores there.

Thanks Chewbacca :rofl: . I think a coat or shirt can also help make a dog feel a little more secure, I know that's the case for my dogs :D .

We also have Bonbongirl on board, who after getting the hang of the patterns, wants to whip up some shirts for the Kurri Pound :rofl:

Currently my shirts are going to K9Angel for the Blacktown pound. Anyone else need shirts or coats?

great idea im going to search on ebay and make some for the shelters around in vic!! i always wanted to know what i could do to help as i dont have much money i donate food when i can but thought there must be something else!!

See what u started!! and they say one person cant do much to help!! u have started a phenomenon! hahaha

You beauty Kirst goldens!! :rofl:

One person can make a difference especially when a few other one persons join in too :rofl: . Sometimes you just don't know till you give it a go. I started a rescue funraising idea called Dog Sponsor (see my website) and the motto is 'Making a difference, one dog at a time'. Just one person helping just one dog does make a difference :D . I sometimes get a bit overwhelmed by the scope and enormity of dog rescue and it seems like whatever I try to do to help is like a little drop in such an enormous ocean :D . I'm amazed by how hard and consistently the people involved in it work, in spite of it seeming like a never-ending battle. They are angels.

I think our little bit of help will make a difference :( . Thank you for joining in

both patterns u suggested are brought and paid for on ebay hehe and i also looked at the fabric for sale and i am watching a bulk lot of flanelette over 2 kgs of the stuff lol!! see how high it gets i might go scope out the op shops on sunday to see how much clothes i can get from there :rofl: its fun already lol i dont even know how to sew so im getting the old lady to teach me the ins and outs of the sewing machine and the patterns hahaha should be interesting!! when i have the fabric and machine and what not sorted i will repost for any shelters needing jackets to place an order :rofl: