Doggy Blood Donor Needed

Colliewood

Not sure if this is the done thing or not. Please tell me if it is not and I will delete.

Customer of mine has a sick dear little girl and needs a blood transfusion. They have already tested their other dog but no match.

I was going to get mine tested but they are just under the required weight.

Does anyone have a dog they would like to donate blood from. Needs to be 30kgs in weight.

My only concerns are that you as the owner understand what is involved etc. Costs are covered by owner of sick dog.

Edited by Colliewood

Not sure if this is the done thing or not. Please tell me if it is not and I will delete.

Customer of mine has a sick dear little girl and needs a blood transfusion. They have already tested their other dog but no match.

I was going to get mine tested but they are just under the required weight.

Does anyone have a dog they would like to donate blood from. Needs to be 30kgs in weight.

My only concerns are that you as the owner understand what is involved etc. Costs are covered by owner of sick dog.

Sorry I cant help as I am in WA. This is why my 2 kids are donnors for my vets. You never know when you will need it and I hope someone will be as giving if we need it.

Goodluck in the search.

Big hugs to your 4 legged patient

I have 3 Danes that might be able to fit the bill.

One was just desexed today, so not sure if she'll be ok to do it. (49kgs)

One is 10, so not sure if she's ok to do it. (46kgs)

One is on Cortisone, so not sure if he's ok to do it. (56kgs)

If your Vet feels that one of them may be suitable let me know.

Not sure if your dogs have whelped a litter before, but they shouldn't be blood donors in they have. Just a thought. :)

Not sure if your dogs have whelped a litter before, but they shouldn't be blood donors in they have. Just a thought. :)

SirWJ, will look into that if we use one of sas' dogs. Out of interest though, why can't they be used? Thanks

Colliewood, has the recipient have a transfusion before? If not, then they shouldn't need to cross match.

Do you know what is wrong with her?

Hope she makes a full recovery.

Think she has had one before. Her cells are low again.

Not sure of the name, but has something similar or equivalent to Leukemia (sp??)

My dane donates for my vet when he needs blood, my old girl used to also the donations have always been needed urgently and crossmatching hasn't been done. The receiving dogs have never had transfusions before.

I am assuming Colliewood your friends dog is going to need more than one transfusion or has had one before.

Hope your friends dog will be okay.

SirWJ, will look into that if we use one of sas' dogs. Out of interest though, why can't they be used? Thanks

Not sure how to explain it properly, but the bitchs' blood is more likely to react with the recipient, as she will have produced antibodies to the pups blood types during whelping. :) I hope that kinda made sense.

Still better to use them than nothing if no other dog is available, but her blood is more likely to cause a reaction.

Try a vet practice that has greyhounds, they are universal donors. (no cross matching issues)

or a greyhound owner may be able to assist.

fifi

They're not all universal. Just more likely than any other breed to be blood type DEA 1.1 Negative

Not sure how to explain it properly, but the bitchs' blood is more likely to react with the recipient, as she will have produced antibodies to the pups blood types during whelping. :) I hope that kinda made sense.

Still better to use them than nothing if no other dog is available, but her blood is more likely to cause a reaction.

Explains it well. Thanks

I have two rottie and a Dane and we are happy to donate.

Several people helped us last year with blood donations when my daughters dog was injured.

My dogs have been typed so we can find that out.

Can I suggest that you post this in the giant breed threads.....like the rotties, danes, labs, german sheps, etc.

You will get a better response because they are large enough to help.

PM me if you want me to bring in my girls to donate.

Would have been more than delighted to do it.. however, just a tad too far for us to travel, sorry.

We used several packs of blood to save my girl a couple of years ago, and would be delighted to return the favour... not using her of course.

Best of luck with your client's dog. Hope it is OK.

Edited by dyzney