What Dog Should I Get

Newcomer

Cavaliers are ideal, but didn't recently a doler was trialing one for her asthmatic son. And it didn't work out :rofl:

I have problems with allergies, and I'm not too bad with our 2 Cavs and 2 very fluffy cats. They do set me off sometimes, but not enough not to have them in my life :rofl:

Edited by JulesLuvsCavs

Hi guys,

What a friendly site this is !! So many answers. A couple of you mentioned the Lagotto. Do any of you own one? What are they like? I thought the Bedlington Terrier was also cute but might cost a lot if it needs clipping every 6 weeks. I thought about the miniature poodle having had previous experience with the toy. The Lowchen looks very cute but doesn't it shed?

I am worried about boyfriends etc in the future distracting my daughter from the dog but she wants to be a vet so I think she will always have a love of animals.

The lady who bred one of my Aussies also has a Lagotto and has bred a couple of litters. They are awesome dogs, loads of fun, very responsive and aside from needing a semi-regular all over clip, they seem to be quite low maintenance. You would have to brush them, I think but not obsessively.

If I were looking for a small-medium, non-shedding dog with a great repulation for being a good all-round family dog, the Lagotto would be right up there on my list.

Don't discount an Aussie - Although they have a long coat it is extremely easy to look after and is kinda self cleaning. Does have a very low smell compared to many other breeds and is quite a soft silky coat to the touch.

I have friends with Asthma and they have found the aussies easy to cope with when they stay at my place. They also love having lots of cuddles. (oh! the dogs like the cuddles not my friends...... but then perhaps they would like a cuddle now and then)

Edited by alpha bet

I would agree with the Lagotto as a recommendation.

You need to groom them in much the same way you need to groom a poodle (although the shaping is simpler and a bit more rustic than poodles are usually trimmed). Any dog that doesn't shed will need brushing and trimming to keep its coat neat and tidy. The price you pay for no sneezing and no fur on the couch, on your clothes, in your car....

They are great dogs. I haven't had one myself but have met several and they seem like real winners as a low-allergy, fun family dog. They can be high energy though, so get ready for some training and tricks/games.

I have a bichon - also a fantastic dog that does all the things you mentioned above and very sensible. But they are fairly small and similar in size to the toy poodle (a bit bigger but not much) so probably smaller than what you're thinking at the moment. But very, very cuddly and loving.

I also agree with some earlier posts about the reality of getting a dog for a teenager. My daughter also wants a dog. I pointed out to her that if we did that, the dog would probably still be alive when she is 30 years old (my daughter is 16). A lot happens in the intervening years - boys, uni, moving out, maybe even moving overseas, maybe even babies of her own...

So if you get the dog, you need to be making the lifetime commitment because at this time in her life, your daughter is not able to make a commitment like that.

Id recommend a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, they really are lap dogs, they love nothing better than to be sitting on 'mum' but they can also be quite active when you want them to. Id say to compromise on a breed, and then approach breeders and see how your son copes, he may not be allergic to the dog you decide on

Just thinking the OP mentioned that looking after a Keeshond coat looked like a lot of work (and therefore I got the impression wasn't too keen on lots of grooming). So the poodle may be out, although they would be my recommendation for your situation but be prepared to learn to groom them or the cost of sending them to the groomer.

Please also remove the kerry blue and the wheaten terriers from the list.