An Idea To Help Deter People From Buying A Dd

Shmurps

An Idea from "quick help thread"

dog geek you have made a light bulb go off in my head.

Let see if we can put a list together of dogs that may resemble a cross breed.

This way we may be able to deter people away from poorly bred cross breeds.

dog geek suggested a Griffon Bruxellois- the smooth coat which looks similar to a cav/pug crossbred.

I'm thinking if we can get a good list together , I may be able to but together a small brochure that I could hand out to our customers.

That is a great idea - maybe you could get permission from some of the breeders who advertise on the DOL breed pages to use some of their pix - the one of the two Griffon Bruxellois 'flying' through the air springs to mind, such a gorgeous photo!

I think that the jack russell/pug also looks like the Griffon Bruxellois; with the rough coated giving the 'scruffer' option as well.

Something which might work well is if you have a section of pix of the different 'types' of dog...

squishy-faced: Affenpinscher, Griffon Bruxellois, Boston Terrier, French Bulldog, Tibetan Spaniel

wooly: Lagotto, Bichon Frise, Portugese Water Dog, Kerry Blue, Bedlington Terrier

flarfy: Papillon, Maltese, Chinese Crested (Powder Puff), Pomeranian, Lowchen

scruffy: Aussie Terrier, Basset Fauve, Border Terrier, Cairn Terrier, Portugese Podengo

Forgive me for the gorgeous dog breeds I have not included - but if you had a page for each 'type' with 'samples', you could also have the website address for further browsing.

Actually, one thing I have always thought would be a winner would be screen with a cd of the breeds on a slideshow near the counter - bet you'd get lots of people watching and wanting to know more!

I embarrassed myself a few weeks ago by mistaking a Lagotto for an oodle... I was most apologetic and had to give the dog a few extra cuddles and let him lick me once I was corrected for my faux pas...

Gorgeous dog by the way!

T.

Strangers often make guesses what my 2 golden p/b tibetan spaniels are. A few say,' Look like pekes, but not really'.

Quite a few ask, 'Are they one of those 'designer' mixes?'

And those who remark, 'Looks like someone shrunk a golden retriever!' :thumbsup:

An experienced vet remarked to me.....after singing the praises of the tibbie girls....'Why do people pay huge money for the designer mixes, when there's reliably gorgeous purebreds, like these?'

He answered his own question by saying, 'It's because they don't know they exist & no one tells them about them!'

Edited by mita

I embarrassed myself a few weeks ago by mistaking a Lagotto for an oodle... I was most apologetic and had to give the dog a few extra cuddles and let him lick me once I was corrected for my faux pas...

Gorgeous dog by the way!

T.

Somehow I don't think the dog cared... but any excuse for more cuddles! :thumbsup:

Gorgeous dog by the way!

T.

:thumbsup: Had to laugh at this. I know someone who breeds top notch IWS. We tease her about her "discount" doodles. Call them the "poor man's alternative" to DD's.

Considering that most (non dog savvy) people buy a dog for the way it looks rather than for what it does, then spend months/years dealing with its perceived problem behaviours (that are often simply breed behaviours), maybe notable breed characteristics like behaviour should also be included in some way.

After all, most (non dog savvy) people are blissfully unaware that different breeds were bred to behave in different ways, and they spend so much time trying to understand why their sight breeds chase, their earth dogs dig, gun dogs hunt, herding dogs nip etc....

Just a thought.

Gorgeous dog by the way!

T.

:thumbsup: Had to laugh at this. I know someone who breeds top notch IWS. We tease her about her "discount" doodles. Call them the "poor man's alternative" to DD's.

Considering that most (non dog savvy) people buy a dog for the way it looks rather than for what it does, then spend months/years dealing with its perceived problem behaviours (that are often simply breed behaviours), maybe notable breed characteristics like behaviour should also be included in some way.

After all, most (non dog savvy) people are blissfully unaware that different breeds were bred to behave in different ways, and they spend so much time trying to understand why their sight breeds chase, their earth dogs dig, gun dogs hunt, herding dogs nip etc....

Just a thought.

Definitely. Would include profile.

Actually...

I am inspired by this thread :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am making up a cd for my kids' primary school library - if the 'dog-besotted' kids can take it home, maybe their parentals will be guided away from the DDs!!