Shame On 3aw Breakfast Presents At 5.40am

GSDowner

Do you think most people who find the cruel and torcherous slaughter of dogs unacceptable would find a cruel and torcherous slaughter of any animals ok?

Well yeah..........the majority do find it ok in my opinion.

Those who eat the meat are supporting the industry that is responsible.

By eating it, people are accepting that "a cruel and torcherous slaughter" is ok.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you think most people who find the cruel and torcherous slaughter of dogs unacceptable would find a cruel and torcherous slaughter of any animals ok?

By eating it, people are accepting that "a cruel and torcherous slaughter" is ok.

True.

Edited by corrie

The fact of the matter is that in AUSTRALIA it is NOT customary to eat dog and these radio announcers would be only too aware of this and are showing total disrespect to the AUSTRALIAN community. Dogs here in this country are regarded as pets so therefore to turn the subject into a culinary delight and to top it all off LAUGH at this is absolutely OBNOXIOUS!

And I would rather that we ensure that it not only remains not customary, but that it is announced as unacceptable. I didn't hear the segment, but what I wouldn't like "joking" about it is that with continuance it might be taken by some that perhaps some (enough) Australians find it acceptable. Hopefully this was a 'first and last' situation. Too much "joking" about it can, over time, have a desensitisation affect. I wouldn't like that.

Yes, it's a disturbing and unlovely topic.

However, how many of us have ever been literally starving? Why are we not equally repulsed by those in Europe who eat horse-flesh?

We all adore our dogs, but this doesn't mean that whole world does, too.

Being strictly logical, why is it worse to eat a dog than, say, a little lamb? or a milk-fed tiny calf which is sold as veal?

Cultural differences are just that: the best that we can do is to try and ensure that all animals are well-kept and killed as humanely as possible.

My dogs are very special and important to me. My family's farm animals are to them, too, but many are still sent to the abattoir for us all to eat.

It isn't a case of China eating dog meat due to starvation. Dog meat is served in 4 star restaurants. IT is not the poor that like to eat a live chimpanzee's brain either. That nation has no conscience when it comes to the wellbeing of animals. It is a sad reality.

Do people really think that what those dogs go through is worse than what our factory farmed animals go through in this very country???

Both cases are despicable but everyone should understand that the animal on their plate went through immense sickness, pain, suffering and torture before it got there.

That is utter nonsense. Don't even begin comparing the way our animals end up on our plate to the way that animals end up on the Chinaman's plate! There is no comparison. We do NOT set out to INTENTIONALLY cause agonising pain due to unfounded beliefs. We do NOT skin animals whilst still alive. Make all the excuses you want but in the end it is just a load of baloney.

Actually, it ISN'T utter nonsense. I suggest you delve into the practices of factory farming, which is where almost all of our meat comes from. We DO keep our meat animals in absolutely abhorrent conditions. They are living in their own shit, with no room to move, broken limbs, skin worn down to the bone, killing each other because they are too close. The basic business model for factory farming is to keep the animals as close to death as possible without killing them. I think if you actually looked into it you would be just as outraged as you are right now about dogs in China.

The chinese torture their meat animals because they believe it makes the meat taste better, we do it so that people can eat huge amounts of meat at dirt cheap prices.

I think a few of you need to go and work in a slaughterhouse.

You do realise that baby chickens are thrown into blenders because they're males?

Sometimes hens are thrown into a pot of boiling water before they're dead.

The conditions chickens are kept in are absolutely filthy and inhumane.

Animals are "stunned" which doesn't always work as well as it should meaning they die a slow and aginising death. Not to mention the terror they must go through whilst being brought into a place where thousands of other animals before them have been mutilated and left to bleed out.

But hey, as long as we don't eat dogs that's all tickety-boo :):)

Yup, and this is only a tiny proportion of the extreme cruelty of factory farming.

This isnt to say that torturing dogs to make the meat taste better isn't wrong. Of COURSE it's wrong. But our country is just as bad, but I guess because it's not dogs it's fine.

This isnt to say that torturing dogs to make the meat taste better isn't wrong. Of COURSE it's wrong. But our country is just as bad, but I guess because it's not dogs it's fine.

My highlights & colour

That's a twist of words, emotions and moral beliefs and IMO is an unfair one to throw at people here.

It is NOT "because it's not dogs it's fine".

We don't want to add dogs to the list of slaughter animals.

I don't want beef, chickens, pigs nor any other farmed animal to suffer. I've signed petitions in the past and I'll sign more if it helps to make a difference. I'd like to be able to change things with my magic wand, but I can't.

But don't throw the "you're guilty because you eat meat" at me or anyone else. I resent that emotional blackmail being thrown at me.

Edited by Erny

I eat meat, chicken, animal products etc. I have no issues with eating an animal so long as it is treated humanely and killed quickly without suffering.

In China they kill dogs in front of other dogs and scare them etc.

In Australia, we grind male chicks while alive.

Both are wrong. That said, if someone were to eat dog (and treat it humanely, slaughter it in a humane manner etc), then I couldn't really say much, seeing as how I eat cow, sheep, fish etc. It is the food chain, like it or not. Cow, sheep, dog, cat, sloth, zebra.

I'm not throwing the 'you're guilty because you eat meat' card at all. I don't push vegetarianism on people, I only made the choice quite recently after I delved into the factory farming industry myself. I do wish everyone would eat a little LESS meat so we weren't forced to factory farm to get the amounts needed but that's a whole different topic for discussion and again is a 100% personal choice.

It has nothing to do with being vegetarian, I would and do happily eat meat if I know it's sourced from a family farm where the animals are treated humanely. The OP told me that there was absolutely no comparison whatsoever between farmed animals here in Aus and the way farmed dogs are treated in China. I replied to that advising her to look into it because it absolutely IS just as bad.

It is horrendous and disgusting the way dogs are treated in china when being raised for food, however the distinct feel of the OP was that is was evil and wrong and inhumane to eat dogs FULL STOP. I disagree. Although I personally wouldn't eat a dog who am I to say it isn't ok but it's fine to eat any other animal? People from India hold cows sacred and find it horrifying that we eat them.

It's a cultural difference and they have every right to eat dogs if they wish.

The OP is so unbelievably outraged, yelling from the rooftops and wants to crucify some radio hosts because they made a joke about eating dogs. Yes it's shocking what is done to them but the radio hosts were not making a joke about the cruelty, only about eating the animal. For all we know they knew nothing about the cruelty in the dog meat trade!!

I personally find it MORE horrifying that a westernised culture that is more developed and has much stronger animal welfare laws than China is carrying out equally terrible practices on our soil, and wonder why that isn't worth starting a rabid yelling thread about? I EXPECT it from china, I don't expect it from the first world.

Both are wrong. That said, if someone were to eat dog (and treat it humanely, slaughter it in a humane manner etc), then I couldn't really say much, seeing as how I eat cow, sheep, fish etc. It is the food chain, like it or not. Cow, sheep, dog, cat, sloth, zebra.

I agree. But not in Australia. We might be a multi-cultural Country, but there are some cultures I'd like to cling to. And that's one of them.

I'll agree that there's no guarantee that every single animal slaughtered in Australia did not suffer to some extent, that's why I'm a vegetarian, but comparing us to the Chinese and their barbarian ways, is obsurd.
That is utter nonsense. Don't even begin comparing the way our animals end up on our plate to the way that animals end up on the Chinaman's plate! There is no comparison. We do NOT set out to INTENTIONALLY cause agonising pain due to unfounded beliefs. We do NOT skin animals whilst still alive. Make all the excuses you want but in the end it is just a load of baloney.

Can we keep the racist remarks to a minimum? God I absolutely hate these kind of posts, it always turns into some sort of culture/ethnicity-bashing. "Chinese and their barbarian ways"?? And "Chinaman's plate"?? Why didn't you just go "ching chong chang", maybe make some slitty eye gesture with your fingers.

Wow. Speechless.

EDIT**

I also wonder how many people on this thread have actually been to China or know anything more than just random facts they've read through the internet. Some of the generalizations made on here really have me scratching my head. Yes, dogs are sometimes eaten, however mainly this occurs in the rural areas considered to be "countryside". The main cities like Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong, it's quite rare to encounter dog on the menu. China is a huge place, there are plenty of smaller regions or areas that are less affulent and "civilized" than the larger cities. It's not really comparable to Australia where we all share the same culture and moral ideas, in China it's much more segregated depending on where you live and the city people tend to look down on the country folks and their "ways".

I'm not saying that China is perfect. It's definitely not and has a long way to go but please keep in mind that China was a closed country for decades and has only started becoming more open in western trade/society in recent years.

Edited by chichihuahua

Exactly my point :thumbsup:

I'll agree that there's no guarantee that every single animal slaughtered in Australia did not suffer to some extent, that's why I'm a vegetarian, but comparing us to the Chinese and their barbarian ways, is obsurd.

Can we keep the racist remarks to a minimum? God I absolutely hate these kind of posts, it always turns into some sort of culture/ethnicity-bashing. "Chinese and their barbarian ways"?? And "Chinaman's plate"?? Why didn't you just go "ching chong chang", maybe make some slitty eye gesture with your fingers.

Wow. Speechless.

EDIT**

I also wonder how many people on this thread have actually been to China or know anything more than just random facts they've read through the internet. Some of the generalizations made on here really have me scratching my head. Yes, dogs are sometimes eaten, however mainly this occurs in the rural areas considered to be "countryside". The main cities like Shanghai, Beijing or Hong Kong, it's quite rare to encounter dog on the menu. China is a huge place, there are plenty of smaller regions or areas that are less affulent and "civilized" than the larger cities. It's not really comparable to Australia where we all share the same culture and moral ideas, in China it's much more segregated depending on where you live and the city people tend to look down on the country folks and their "ways".

I'm not saying that China is perfect. It's definitely not and has a long way to go but please keep in mind that China was a closed country for decades and has only started becoming more open in western trade/society in recent years.

How on earth is my post offensive or racist? Can you please explain? :thumbsup:

How is one supposed to refer to the Chinese other than "Chinese"? Just like someone from Germany is "German" and someone from Canada is "Canadian".

There is no denying that the way animals are treated are barbaric, so what's your problem?

I don't need to travel to China (nor will I) to witness what happens. If you would like me to post some videos here I will. Ever seen a raccoon skinned alive, still moving it's arms and legs? Or perhaps a dog lift his head whilst laying on top of a pile of other dogs also skinned alive?

As for ""yes, dogs are sometimes eaten". I know for a fact "sometimes" is not the case. Try "most days".

With regards to certain regions of China eating dogs and others not, what does this have to do with anything?

In the past, I haven't taken part in threads like these because they generally rehash the same old arguments and in the end people still hold the same views as they held at the beginning. But this time, I just wanted to put my 2cents' worth in.

It's not so much that dogs are eaten but that they are tortured before dying.

They suffer a horrific death and pain inflicting is deliberate. The belief of their oppressors is that the more they suffer the tastier their meat would be.

That this belief is held is well documented. I wonder why this belief is held. I have also heard that the less stress an animal suffers before slaughter the better the meat will be.
Do people really think that what those dogs go through is worse than what our factory farmed animals go through in this very country???

Both cases are despicable but everyone should understand that the animal on their plate went through immense sickness, pain, suffering and torture before it got there.

GardenofEden, while farmers, slaughterers, etc etc may not set out to intentionally cause agonising pain, it is also now well documented that THEY ARE. And the vast majority do little or nothing to ease that pain. The farm lobby is very strong. The amount of space LEGISLATED for a factory chook to have is the size of an A4 sheet of paper. That is INTENTIONALLY causing agonising pain because of the ramifications of this dreadful practice. And then look at how pigs are kept, particularly sows. Again, the farmers and legislators KNOW how those animals suffer and they refuse to legislate to prevent it. Ergo: they are INTENTIONALLY causing pain.

I find it even more distasteful that posters here can find it in themselves to make excuses for the Chinese! IT is just pathetic to highlight the point that we also eat meat...blah blah blah. Yes we eat meat but we do not, thank God, adopt such atrocious ways to go about it!

It isn't pathetic. It is a valid argument because our practices do cause PAIN and FEAR by first of all depriving the creatures of a decent way of living and them killing them if not cruelly, then carelessly.

QUOTE (Aussie3 @ 30th May 2010 - 01:31 PM)

I think a few of you need to go and work in a slaughterhouse.

Considering many people don't even know where milk comes from, I think this would be a bit of a shock. What a great idea.

My feelings exactly. If you support an industry by purchasing its product, you are condoning its practices.

And I would rather that we ensure that it not only remains not customary, but that it is announced as unacceptable. I didn't hear the segment, but what I wouldn't like "joking" about it is that with continuance it might be taken by some that perhaps some (enough) Australians find it acceptable. Hopefully this was a 'first and last' situation. Too much "joking" about it can, over time, have a desensitisation affect. I wouldn't like that.

Well, you'd better get used to it Erny, because all sorts of customs that many would find unacceptable are becoming the norm. New Zealand and Australian doctors and discussing the possibility of allowing "a little nick" at female genitals as a way of placating those people who believe and practice female genital mutilation.

I find the slaughter of over 63,000 cats and dogs and other companion animals abhorrent, but our parliamentarians seem to think it is okay because they won't do anything about it.

Wow. Speechless.

EDIT**

If anyone wants to point the finger at countries where dogs are eaten, you have to look at other Asian countries as well, particularly South Korea. I doubt there are too many creatures on four legs left in North Korea :thumbsup:.

And you also have to point the finger and countries that export dogs to China. Switzerland is a prime candidate for this and I don't know whether the practice still continues. St Bernard dogs were a great favourite because the puppies are so large ----- lots of yummy meat. :thumbsup::):) And you need only import two dogs for a continuing supply.

However, to try to absolve China from its very cruel practices (to animals and humans alike) because it hasn't been exposed to Western influence for long is laughable and as racist a remark as any other that you say has been made here - LOL.

HOWEVER, the point the OP was making is that commentators were laughing at the practice. That's commercial television for you. How anyone can listen to it is beyond me. An 8 week old puppy would have more intelligence that most the presenters put together.

I'm a vegetarian by the way. But my dogs eat meat, so I suppose I can be called a hypocrit too.

Edited by Mother Moocher

Well, you'd better get used to it Erny, because all sorts of customs that many would find unacceptable are becoming the norm. New Zealand and Australian doctors and discussing the possibility of allowing "a little nick" at female genitals as a way of placating those people who believe and practice female genital mutilation.

That's where you're wrong, MM. I don't "better get used to it". Which is why I'm placing my objection publicly here and I'll place my objection publicly anywhere. I don't "better" anything - I refuse to. I will NOT get used to it. People can do what they want (referencing your comment of genital nicking) if they are consenting adults and I won't argue. But please don't tell me I'd "better get used to it" when it comes to cruel and barbaric animal practices.

Edited by Erny

How on earth is my post offensive or racist? Can you please explain? :eat:

How is one supposed to refer to the Chinese other than "Chinese"? Just like someone from Germany is "German" and someone from Canada is "Canadian".

There is no denying that the way animals are treated are barbaric, so what's your problem?

I don't need to travel to China (nor will I) to witness what happens. If you would like me to post some videos here I will. Ever seen a raccoon skinned alive, still moving it's arms and legs? Or perhaps a dog lift his head whilst laying on top of a pile of other dogs also skinned alive?

As for ""yes, dogs are sometimes eaten". I know for a fact "sometimes" is not the case. Try "most days".

With regards to certain regions of China eating dogs and others not, what does this have to do with anything?

This is exactly what you wrote: "... the Chinese and their barbarian ways". How is that not offensive? What if someone said "The Australians and their uncivilized, bogan ways" and in such a manner to apply it to our entire nation? Would you find that offensive?

You are generalizing the entire race to be 'barbaric', furthermore you made a statement that Chinese people were barbaric FULL STOP. Not their actions towards dogs or treatment of animals, but apparently their culture and everything else they do. Would you say that a chinese person born in Australia, who lives in Australia is therefore also, "barbaric" based only on their ethnic heritage? No? Well then why would you make such a sweeping generalization with your comments?

Quite frankly, if you haven't even traveled or have any first hand experiences with the culture how can you even sprout such a strong statement like this? Who are you to say that the Chinese people are "barbaric", what are you basing it on - just from random things you read off the internet?

And regarding the second quote, about animals ending up on a "Chinaman's plate", that wasn't directed to you but to some other clueless person. Is "Chinese" too hard to spell, hence the need to call everyone "Chinaman"?? Do you not know how offensive that term is, especially given the historical connotations of the word? Do you walk around calling Indian people "Curries" and aboriginals "Abos"??

Yes, you can be against eating dog, many people on this thread have voiced how against it they are but do it in a manner that isn't offensive and racist. :D I'm against the animal cruelty that goes on in places like China and other Asian countries but I certainly know better then to make offensive remarks against the entire race.

Again, let me voice my disgust and dislike for these kinds of threads because they always seem to bring forth the ignorance, bigotry and prejudice from people.

Edited by chichihuahua

This is exactly what you wrote: "... the Chinese and their barbarian ways". How is that not offensive? What if someone said "The Australians and their uncivilized, bogan ways" and in such a manner to apply it to our entire nation? Would you find that offensive?

You are generalizing the entire race to be 'barbaric', furthermore you made a statement that Chinese people were barbaric FULL STOP. Not their actions towards dogs or treatment of animals, but apparently their culture and everything else they do. Would you say that a chinese person born in Australia, who lives in Australia is therefore also, "barbaric" based only on their ethnic heritage? No? Well then why would you make such a sweeping generalization with your comments?

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but in no way did I apply my comment to the entire nation as you put it. Where did I say all Chinese people are barbaric FULL STOP. Their culture and everything else they do?

And no I wouldnt find it offensive if all Aussies were called uncivilized and bogan. Frankly, I wouldn't care at all.

One doesn't need to travel to "understand" what happens.

FYI I have a Chinese friend who now lives in Australia after immigrating about 4yrs ago.

I know you're entitled to your opinion, but in no way did I apply my comment to the entire nation as you put it. Where did I say all Chinese people are barbaric FULL STOP. Their culture and everything else they do?

And no I wouldnt find it offensive if all Aussies were called uncivilized and bogan. Frankly, I wouldn't care at all.

One doesn't need to travel to "understand" what happens.

FYI I have a Chinese friend who now lives in Australia after immigrating about 4yrs ago.

Okay, look, I'm sure you probably didn't MEAN it in a derogatory manner but this is the internet so when it's written like that then it really does read in an unflattering light. I think it would have been better if you'd wrote: "the way chinese people treat animals is barbaric", which is more to do with the issue on hand. I just read: "the chinese and their barbaric ways." and it made my blood boil. The two are kind of different statements and say different things. And yes, it really was FULL STOP because that was the entire sentence and as such, is a great big generalization towards the entire culture and people.

You don't need to travel to understand what happens. But if you're going to say a culture is barbaric - which itself is a harsh word - then you should probably have more then just hearsay and internet readings to back yourself up.

And for the record, "barbaric" = primitive savagery less sophisticated then advanced civilization.

I find that offensive FULL STOP and I would never say *insert race* is barbaric. I might not condone their actions but I would never say something like: "Australian are barbaric". It's negative negative negative. You're implying that their culture is beneath yours, that they're unrefined and uneducated.

I'm not sure what your chinese friend has to do with this or why you're even telling me that you have a chinese friend, but I'm sure if you went up to him/her and said exactly that statement: "the chinese have barbaric ways", I highly doubt their reaction would be happiness and puppies.

Edited by chichihuahua

Point taken Chichihuahua. I could've written it another way, and I agree it is a tad hard on the internet to get the message across with the correct tone/meaning etc.

The reason I mentioned my Chinese friend is that a great deal of the information has come from her. Other things, as you've said are videos etc on the net.

On some things though, we might have to agree to disagree and just be done with it. :eat:

Point taken Chichihuahua. I could've written it another way, and I agree it is a tad hard on the internet to get the message across with the correct tone/meaning etc.

The reason I mentioned my Chinese friend is that a great deal of the information has come from her. Other things, as you've said are videos etc on the net.

On some things though, we might have to agree to disagree and just be done with it. :eat:

No worries! It's hard on the internet when you read certain things. I'm happy to disagree :D

I think people always get a little bit hot under the collar about this issue because dogs are lovable :eat: I think the fundamental problem lies with the fact that as a developing nation, China has yet to reach optimum standards regarding animal protection. It's not just dogs - it's animals generally. That's not to say that there isn't animal cruelty and suffering in places like Australia - but we have legislation and more generalised societal disapproval of the mistreatment of animals. People who think that pigs, chickens and other animals don't suffer before they're humanely killed in Australia are just deluding themselves. If you really want to push it, who's to say that vegetarians are in the right, either - no one has proved that vegies don't suffer?

I lived and worked in China from 2005 until last year and before that, studied and travelled there quite frequently. I do believe that it's wrong to assume that all Chinese like to eat dog or endangered animals blah blah. It's kind of like the generalisation that Koreans like to eat dog meat. I had a lot of Korean classmates and friends and I think only ONE of them ate dog meat and that was occasionally and from some traditional believe that it gave strength when one was feeling poorly. Most of my Korean friends said that only 'old people' ate dog meat. Dog meat also wasn't rampant on the streets of Beijing - you had to go looking for it.

I'm a dog lover, I have a puppy, I would never ever eat dog meat - but I don't condemn the eating of dog meat per se. I just wouldn't do it myself, just the same way my brother would never eat turtles because he loves turtles, my mother in law would never eat mutton or lamb because she loves sheep and so forth. There are plenty of people who are horrified that people eat pigs (intelligent), rabbits and lambs (cute), kangaroo (a national animal on our coat of arms!!!)

Dog meat is still eaten by some but to be honest, like many things in China, it's the beat-up in the West that gives it a certain notoriety/popularity. For instance, you can buy live, writhing scorpions on skewers in Wangfujing Food Street. In my whole time there, I never saw a Chinese person buying and eating those - it was always laughing/goofing around foreigners (lots of Aussies!) taking photos, buying them and frequently even eating them for the camera. If it wasn't for the foreign tourists making such a fuss over the bizarre foods there, I doubt the food street would still even sell those bizarre kebabs. Similarly the furore about dog meat. I'm told that the dogs are specially bred for eating - it's not that they come and take Fido from your yard and gobble him. In Gansu Province, we had the choice of eating camels and donkeys in Mongolia it was tough old goat, in Xian there was dog in the street - I think culturally in many of those places, people ate the meat that was available. Revolting as it seems, I have no problem with it as long as the animal doesn't suffer.

I think people should focus more on the treatment of the animal than the animal itself. For instance, I was extremely irate to learn about the puppies being sold on the street. Here we know about puppy mills and backyard breeders, it's a LOT worse in China. Quite frequently you'll see guys on street corners selling the most adorable little balls of fur and cuteness that you will ever see. You should never buy from them - this article tells you why - dodgy people dye the poor puppies so that they're the most popular colours. The puppies that don't perish while being boiled will frequently die soon after because of their ordeal. That sort of thing can only be stopped through education - increasing of public awareness. That's why I think the message should be more about: "Don't treat animals cruelly" than "don't eat dog or other cute animals."

Also, for those who seem to think that 'Chinamen' are cruel - I went to the Siberian Tiger Park when I was in Harbin for the ice lantern festival. At that park, for RMB1,000 you could feed a live cow to the tigers - watching them rip it apart. For RMB500, a live pig - all the way down to a live chicken. The average Chinese can't afford to spend that kind of money feeding a tiger - it's mostly foreigners who go there and do it for a lark. In fact, while I was there I watched an Australian family buy a chicken, laugh and take photos as they dangled the unfortunate animal from a stick and watch it be ripped apart by a tiger. I'm not vegetarian, I eat chicken but I was pretty disgusted by the glee that they took in it. Of course I'm not saying that all Aussies are like that - I think I'm just trying to say that cruelty to animals isn't a national trait, it's still an individual characteristic.