5 Month Shih Tzu Not Eating

jazz 2010

I am at my wits end Jazz my little shih tzu hardly eats she is on advance puppy plus wet and dry three meals a day she weighs 3.2 kg and was eating fine up until 4 days ago now she has about 4 teaspoons a day. I have had her to the vet and they said she is fine just being fussy and they think her teeth are bothering her, can their teeth bother them that much that they dont eat much? Can some one help me i have tried raw diets but they make her sick and i have tried putting yoghurt on her meals and egg,cheese,gravy but she just sits there and looks at it she is still running around playing and drinking do you guys think it could be her teeth or something else?

when they teethe their teeth may hurt them but for my dogs i made sure i didnt teach them to be fussy. so i put their food down and after 15 minute i picked it up and if they havent eaten anything too bad. i keep doing this with every meal and eventually they eat what is put down.

not one has died of starvation yet!!!

What jaxx's buddy said :D

yes sometimes pups' teeth/gums hurt ... but honestly , I have never had a pup that I have noticed in so much pain it couldn't eat .

Stop fiddling with her food,

put down her normal meal... wait, walk away .

Come back after 15 mins, and pick bowl up.

repeat next mealtime.

At 5 mths she should not need three meals a day .. one or two will be plenty :laugh:

if she's playing, etc don't worry.

She may enjoy a frozen bone to help soothe her gums :D

yes ,we have had 2 dogs during teething who where so bad they went off there food.

Like others have said dont pander or fuss.

Dont add to much food or different things.

With my guys i simply accepted the fact there gums where very sore & worked with what they would eat.

Remember when they teeth badly it also affects there ears so they can feel like crap.I also found feeding when they where active to be the best ,whilst they lost some weight once the teeth where cut they returned to being horses eating the food they did prior.

moisten the dry a tad more & i would try feeding the dry/wet separate.

Dont leave the food down & dont make a big deal over it.

My guys would eat happily from my hand so i did hand feed BUT it was done during training exercise only .