**urgent** Old Dog Needs A Home Asap

no body in the class was able to - being students their parents said no, they have some friends or relos in mind though and they are all asking around like i am so we are working many angles, hopefully we can do something for him :)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand this is a tough issue that everyone will have different opinions about, really i just wanted to see if anyone had some ideas of how to help i didnt mean to cause a massive discussion on animal welfare LOL just wanted some help for the little guy, Thanks for all the input though to all i have some good ideas for the little man now

How to help? Be responsible and don't sell dogs as pets unless they are of pet quality.

Save any dog you want and take it home, but if you are planning on placing that dog with another family, you have to do things in a responsible way. That means not blindly ignoring the history you have been given.

i wouldnt do this if i didnt think he was a good dog - meaing i think his issues will be over come and we were only given a small amount of info we will be assessing the dog before anything further occurs, we are responsible.

I know u will disagree but u dont know the dog and its temp so i think its unfair for u to all tell me to give up on him IMO.

I do value everyones opinions on the matter and i have taken it into account and i wont be pursueing the dog further if he is unsuitable for rehomeing but until then i will keep trying

And i missed a question earlier - he is desexed and vaccinated and vet check was clear not sure about heartworm testing or anything like that yet. Still waitning for more info

casster17 we are planning it for him now :rofl: I couldnt deal with moving him to another home to have him hurt someone and have it all be a waste of time :rofl: So he will be assessed first but needed to tell the owner we are assessing him because we have a place for him - didnt want to waste her time trying to make it really easy for her so she doesnt PTS just to be more convientient

i have contacted them and am waiting for a response, if i cant get him in anywhere else he will be going there for sure but i am trying to keep him out of a shelter and i have a home or two lined up depending on how he goes with kids and cats and what not so finding out some more info tonight hopefully so i can get him organised :rofl:

You have all been fantastic i cant thank you enough :rofl: He will have to give you all kisses to say thank you !!

Kirst_Goldens I think if everyone went in with the mind set that we CAN save every animal no matter what age, breed or temperament we could do just that, save them. I don't think that there was anything wrong with what you did in persuading the owner to re-home the dog instead of PTS, it was not un-professional and I would do the exact same thing, he needs a chance.

I would not advise in a shelter though as it would add stress that an old dog does not need. Teaching an old dog to be house trained is NOT that hard as I have recently done that with a 12 YO CHI X JRT that was dumped and she also had aggression which I have also dealt with, it's amazing what you can achieve when you have a "can-do" attitude.

The ONLY reason I would suggest for the dog to be PTS is quality of life, if he's not that healthy, (which I don't think is the case from what I have read) I would say Putting him to sleep would be best for him.

Keep fighting for the dogs Kirst_Goldens! :thumbsup:

P.S what colour is he? light golden?

Kirst_Goldens I think if everyone went in with the mind set that we CAN save every animal no matter what age, breed or temperament we could do just that, save them. I don't think that there was anything wrong with what you did in persuading the owner to re-home the dog instead of PTS, it was not un-professional and I would do the exact same thing, he needs a chance.

I would not advise in a shelter though as it would add stress that an old dog does not need. Teaching an old dog to be house trained is NOT that hard as I have recently done that with a 12 YO CHI X JRT that was dumped and she also had aggression which I have also dealt with, it's amazing what you can achieve when you have a "can-do" attitude.

The ONLY reason I would suggest for the dog to be PTS is quality of life, if he's not that healthy, (which I don't think is the case from what I have read) I would say Putting him to sleep would be best for him.

Keep fighting for the dogs Kirst_Goldens! :thumbsup:

Fully agree with this post and support your actions, Kirst_Goldens. :o

thanks! i thought so too hahaha i can only try lol

He is in great health other then his teeth and he is white with tan spots and a very grey head hahaha he is chi size and has that head shape but jack russel colours and he is smooth coat as well.

I have a 15 yr old JRT that would love a mate but my mother disagrees i am looking at house currently but i wont have one in time for this boy :thumbsup:

Here's that quote for you Kirst Goldens:-

*If you fight you might lose. If you don't fight you've already lost.*

Good for you for trying to help this little old dog. I love the oldies too. We can only hope the owner never gets another dog. If she'd taken care of his teeth in the first place they wouldn't be in this condition.

thank u!! hahaha

It is very true and perfect for this situation as well!! i have spoken to his owner tonight and she was trying to give him to me through the phone i swear!! they wont be getting another dog i dont think lol they learnt their lesson hahaha funny though they arnt dog people those are her words.. WHY BUY A DOG THEN??

I love ur quote in ur sig as well the slow and stupid will be eaten first hahahahahahhahaha

Oh I'd forgotten about my sig. LOL. I have signatures turned off so I don't see anyone else's sig or my own. I don't think my sig is true though because there's plenty of the slow and stupid who are absolutely thriving. :rolleyes:

Please keep us posted on this little oldie.

• 1 month later...

Hi Kirst :D

I was sifting through some threads looking for something else, and stumbled over this older thread. I'd semi-forgotten about it and also to ask you how things panned out for this little guy. Any news?

Vets are often prone to offering expensive procedures in really old animals that would be better off pts.

Rightly or wrongly, vet students are taught not to not offer a procedure due to an animal's age (if that makes sense). We are taught that it is the owner's money to spend as they choose. As long as the dog isn't suffering, and so long as the owner is given an honest assessment of the dog's likely response to treatment (i.e., it might not survive anaesthesia due to age), then we are taught that it's the owner's choice whether to humanely PTS an elderly animal, or to give it a go.

It can also be pretty upsetting to say to an elderly owner that it is not worth treating their pet's health issues because the pet is old. Can apparently make an elderly owner feel pretty stink. :D

As for the original post, though, I see nothing wrong with rehoming this old dog instead of PTS, if the owner is agreeable & a home can be found. I also see nothing wrong with PTS if the owner will not pay for his teeth to be cleaned, at least then he won't be in pain. The one outcome I would hate would be if he was dumped at a pound. His chances of making it out alive are slim to non-existent, and he will spend his last days stressed and upset, waiting to be PTS by strangers.

Sorry Star - I possibly shouldn't have brought it back up. Hopefully, if Kirst Goldens pops in, she will go to the thread Title and show the update post page number, which will alert people this is not exactly a new thread.

Mind you, it's only from back in May. Which feels like yesterday. I can't believe we're only 5.5 months away to Christmas :D .

Hey hey guys!!

Little Sampson had his teeth cleaned and had another vet check and all was well :D He was rehomed the very next day to a family who love oldies and always rescue - they have 3 and when one sadly passes away they get another and lucky for Sampson one of their sweet rescues had recently passed away so he has moved in!

With A MAN, other DOGS, and LIVES INSIDE - so much for the owners excuses hahaha i will have to ask for a pic so i can show him off ill see what i can do :)

And erny i dont now how to update the title :S

ETA: This all happened within 3 days of the last post LOL

Edited by kirst_goldens

Oh wow!! That's great news, KG. Better than I think anyone could have expected. :) :D .

Was it only teeth cleaning he needed or did he have to have teeth pulled?

Great job though and what a lucky little guy. Sounds like he won the lotto draw as far as new owners are concerned :).

And erny i dont now how to update the title :S

If you go to the your first opening post and click on "Full Edit" you will then be able to edit Title or sub-title.

Edited by Erny