Seeking Advice On Selecting A Puppy

Lambo

Despite appearances, I should probably make clear that I'm not going into this thing on blind faith - we all know that assumptions make an ass out of u and me.

I am talking through the issues being raised on this thread with my OH, and making clear what would be required of her so as to determine whether or not I am asking too much.

Wow, freudian slip there much?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I haven't read all the replies but upon reading your first post I wonder why you want a dog. You and your kids sound pretty busy, and with your other half not a willing participant, she is not even keen on dogs I dont know that it's a good idea. I dont think I would recommend you get a dog. Perhaps a cat would be more suitable as they are more aloof and not so needy of your attention.

Edited by Kirislin

Despite appearances, I should probably make clear that I'm not going into this thing on blind faith - we all know that assumptions make an ass out of u and me.

I am talking through the issues being raised on this thread with my OH, and making clear what would be required of her so as to determine whether or not I am asking too much. So far her reactions seem positive, but I don't want to push my luck. For that reason, I guess I am starting to lean toward getting a more mature (say a 1 or 2 year old) Weim or Ridgeback - either from a breeder or as a rescue. And of these two, I'm getting the sense that maybe the Ridgeback will tick more of the right boxes.

The Collie would probably be better than the Ridgeback - but I'm turned off by the shedding. If it's a barker too, that just makes things worse.

Although the Whippet is growing on me, I'm still more partial to the larger breeds.

I'm note sure where the Pointer sits in my order of preference at the moment.

That said, I'm still not certain about abandoning the puppy idea altogether.

Have you read the Ridge review? Might be all wrong but worth a read and perhaps onwers can tell you more.

I know little of this breed except it gives the impression of a very powerful large animal. Were they for hunting lions at one time?

Rhodesian Ridgeback Temperament

What's Good About 'Em,

What's Bad About 'Em

By Michele Welton. Copyright © 2000-2010

This dignified, muscular dog, a combination of scenthound and sighthound, needs brisk walking every day and the chance to run as often as possible.

This is not a breed to sit quietly in your yard all day. Young Rhodesian Ridgebacks are especially rambunctious, bore easily, and can excavate vast holes.

The most territorial of the hounds, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is aloof with strangers and should be accustomed to people at an early age so that his guarding instinct remains controlled rather than indiscriminate.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks can be dominant with other animals, especially with other dogs of the same sex. Some individuals are fine with the family cat, while others are predatory chasers of anything that runs.

This breed is confident and independent, inclined to do things his own way, and will test members of the family to find his place in the pecking order. Consistent leadership and obedience training is a must.

Overall, the Rhodesian Ridgeback is a splendid, capable companion for assertive owners. However, without ongoing time and effort, exercise, socialization, and supervision, he can be "too much dog."

If you want a dog who...

Is large, well-muscled, and natural-looking, with one unusual physical characteristic: the ridge of stiff hair along his back

Has a short easy-care coat

Thrives on vigorous exercise and athletic activities

Is the most territorial and protective of the hounds, serious and confident

Is calm and quiet in the home -- as an adult

A Rhodesian Ridgeback may be right for you.

If you don't want to deal with...

Vigorous exercise requirements

Rowdiness and exuberant jumping, especially when young

Destructiveness when bored or not exercised enough

Providing enough socialization so that protectiveness doesn't become aggression or suspiciousness

Potential aggression toward other animals -- chasing instincts

Strong-willed mind of his own, requiring a confident owner who can take charge

A Rhodesian Ridgeback may not be right for you.

If I were considering buying or adopting a Rhodesian Ridgeback

My major concerns would be:

Providing enough exercise. Rhodesian Ridgebacks MUST have regular opportunities to vent their energy and do interesting things. Otherwise they will become rambunctious and bored -- which they usually express by barking and destructive chewing. Bored Rhodesian Ridgebacks can make a shambles of your house and yard.

Providing enough socialization. Many Rhodesian Ridgebacks have protective instincts toward strangers. They need extensive exposure to friendly people so they learn to recognize the normal behaviors of "good guys." Then they can recognize the difference when someone acts abnormally. Some Rhodesian Ridgebacks go in the opposite direction -- without enough socialization, they become timid or nervous.

Animal aggression. Rhodesian Ridgebacks are hunting dogs with predatory instincts. Many Ridgebacks are dominant or aggressive toward other dogs of the same sex. Some have strong instincts to chase and seize cats and other fleeing creatures.

The strong temperament. Like all hunting hounds, Rhodesian Ridgebacks have an independent mind of their own and are not pushovers to raise and train. Some Rhodesian Ridgebacks are willful, obstinate, and dominant (they want to be the boss) and will make you prove that you can make them do things. You must show them, through absolute consistency, that you mean what you say.

Somehow I just figured someone would try to read it that way. Everyone in the family clearly has a role to play in caring for the family pet, even if they aren't its primary caregiver. One doesn't need to be a misogynist to express one's "expectation" in that regard to a female counterpart and to ask whether it is asking too much.

At the risk of putting a few other noses out of joint, I would make one other observation. I have to say that I find the expectations that have been expressed by some contributors to this thread somewhat surprising. I am left with a sense - rightly or wrongly - that for some of you at least one should not be a dog owner at all unless one is prepared to devote all of his/her time (whilst not sleeping) tending to the needs of the animal. That may be overstating the position somewhat, but I think its a fair assessment. With all due respect, I don't share that view. If that makes me an "unsuitable" person to own a dog in the eyes of some, then so be it. I do not believe that a dog needs my attention 24/7, nor do I propose to even attempt to satisfy that benchmark. Certainly that degree of devotion does not gell with my childhood memories of the dogs I had as a kid - and I seem to recall that our dogs did not turn out all that bad.

At the risk of putting a few other noses out of joint, I would make one other observation. I have to say that I find the expectations that have been expressed by some contributors to this thread somewhat surprising. I am left with a sense - rightly or wrongly - that for some of you at least one should not be a dog owner at all unless one is prepared to devote all of his/her time (whilst not sleeping) tending to the needs of the animal. That may be overstating the position somewhat, but I think its a fair assessment. With all due respect, I don't share that view. If that makes me an "unsuitable" person to own a dog in the eyes of some, then so be it. I do not believe that a dog needs my attention 24/7, nor do I propose to even attempt to satisfy that benchmark. Certainly that degree of devotion does not gell with my childhood memories of the dogs I had as a kid - and I seem to recall that our dogs did not turn out all that bad.

Only because you picked some of the most hard-work and emotionally intense breeds ever. :(

If you had said "I want a greyhound, british bull dog or a sharpei", I doubt anyone would have tried to put you off as much.

Also your wife's preference for separating the animal from her shoes rather than wanting to train it, rings warning bells for us all. Puppies do eat shoes unless trained not to. Somebody needs to train them though, no magic wands here.

I wouldn't be taking a rescue weim, I would guess that people would tend to hold onto the good ones.

Consider a whippet, or better still, because you like a larger dogs, meet some greyhounds. :wave:

Somehow I just figured someone would try to read it that way. Everyone in the family clearly has a role to play in caring for the family pet, even if they aren't its primary caregiver. One doesn't need to be a misogynist to express one's "expectation" in that regard to a female counterpart and to ask whether it is asking too much.

Don't worry, lots of us work fulltime and have happy, well balanced dogs that are easy to live with and a delight to take anywhere. I work, my husband works, my teenage daughter goes to school, our dogs get by being home alone and tomorrow we are collecting a new puppy who will also get by being left alone. Not only get by, but are well cared for, happy, healthy and awesome family pets.

I don't share the view that dogs need 24/7 hands on care, they don't. They are dogs not children.

Actually, I didn't read it as mysogynistic; I read it as a failure of understanding from yourself and with the above ridiculously controlling. You come across as someone who just expects his partner, despite the fact that he knows she doesn't like dogs, to fall into line. You should not get a dog and expect your partner to jump to and say, 'Yes, sir, I'll spend my day taking care of your dog despite the fact that I don't like them and don't want one.' Indeed, unless your partner is fully on board voluntarily, you shouldn't consider getting one at all.

Lambo, We do want more people to own dogs, but the dogs they pick have to match the expectations they have as far as shedding, destructiveness, training requirements, activity levels, affection levels and everything else.

If the match is wrong, yet another dog is added to the statistics of thousands of dogs each year being put to sleep because they became really unmanageable.

I have rehomed hundreds of adult dogs. I would not put any dog in your home until I was sure your wife understood and accepted that there might be minor behaviour problems like chewing, and solving them is part of owning a dog. It isn't good to take on a dog and have conditions like "only if it doesn't do whatever" when it will be up to her to make an effort to ensure that the dog doesn't do those things.

If your wife cannot accept that she may lose a pair of shoes unless she supervises the puppy fully or keep the bedroom door shut, then it isn't the right home for a puppy.

From the sounds of it you could provide an excellent home for a dog. We just want you to get a dog that will be really happy in your home and turn your wife into a dog lover too.

I agree with what Greytmate is saying.

There are a few breeds that I love, love, love, I love everything about them. Yet our current situation was not right for these breeds. We compromised. First we got an adult rescue dog with an even temperament. He's a great dog and was a great introduction to dog ownership (as an adult). Then, two years later, we added a puppy - still a lovely dog from a lovely breed, but not my absolute favourite breed of all time. She has turned out brilliantly but is HEAPS more work than our rescue boy and would likely be too much work for most households.

Hello,

I have a beagle and he's lovely, has not dug holes or run away, or howl (though he's barking in his old age - 9) , and is a nice size and good with kids. They shed a lot of hair and will not listen to a thing you say if food is anywhere around. I can't have him off lead because he could just find a scent and go and he's a bit of a steam train on a run/walk but he goes 5km a day and loves it. As a puppy he chewed our bromiliads and agapanthus down to the ground and destroyed the watering system. He currently eats our passion fruit and paw paws - he likes to market garden! A beagle is a gorgeous dog for a family and your OH cannot help but fall in love with that face!!

Our family was out for most of the working day but he was walked daily and played with at night - they do love to be around people.

The only slight issue I have is with the hair but give them a brush and a hydrobath regularly.

Any puppy will chew, jump up, go for shoes and socks, need to be toilet trained, and need attention but what you put in is what you get out and if you spend the time and effort early on he'll turn into a lovely dog no matter the breed.

Cheers

Fiona

I read it as a failure of understanding from yourself and with the above ridiculously controlling. You come across as someone who just expects his partner, despite the fact that he knows she doesn't like dogs, to fall into line.

Expecting my female counterpart just to "fall in line", as you put it, would be misogynistic in my book. I don't know about your relationships, but mine proceeds on an equal footing. Your assumption that it would proceed in any other manner is, quite frankly, insulting - all the more so since you don't even know me.

And "falling in" is clearly not what I meant - why else would I try to ascertain from my OH if I was asking too much of her? My point was, quite simply, that I had communicated to my OH that if we get a Weim for example its likely to be needy and want to hang around her all the time and that such behaviour would be something that she would need to tolerate if we selected that breed. On the basis that I did not expect her to just to "fall in", I quite naturally asked if that was something that she would find acceptable; if not, it gets struck of the wish list. Simple.

Smart alec psychoanalysts really get my goat.

My 2 cents:

go to some dog shows, see the different breeds you are interested in, talk to the breeders and then adopt an older dog of your chosen breed. Add a puppy in a year or two if you want.

Good on you for doing the hard yards and researching.

I read it as a failure of understanding from yourself and with the above ridiculously controlling. You come across as someone who just expects his partner, despite the fact that he knows she doesn't like dogs, to fall into line.

Expecting my female counterpart just to "fall in line", as you put it, would be misogynistic in my book. I don't know about your relationships, but mine proceeds on an equal footing. Your assumption that it would proceed in any other manner is, quite frankly, insulting - all the more so since you don't even know me.

And "falling in" is clearly not what I meant - why else would I try to ascertain from my OH if I was asking too much of her? My point was, quite simply, that I had communicated to my OH that if we get a Weim for example its likely to be needy and want to hang around her all the time and that such behaviour would be something that she would need to tolerate if we selected that breed. On the basis that I did not expect her to just to "fall in", I quite naturally asked if that was something that she would find acceptable; if not, it gets struck of the wish list. Simple.

Lambo, it might be best to ignor Sheridan, you would not be alone is that idea.

Are you meaning me when you say the 24 hours a day to dedicate to a dog? I never said that. But you did imply that you worked long hours and wanted to raise a pup. As others said you have picked some of the most demanding or difficult breeds. By all means, if you want a 45Kg 27" tall Rhode as your first dog to raise..and that would suit the OH and kids...then go for it. Like I said I know little about them except they are big, powerful and created to hunt lions in Africa.

It's simple: does your OH want a dog or not?

Yes or no answer.

Lambo, it might be best to ignor Sheridan, you would not be alone is that idea.

You think it's a good idea for someone who is not on board getting a dog to end up taking care of it, do you?

Its not always so bad-

My OH did not want a dog, does not like dogs, and yet spends more time at home in the day with our dog.

He sees the joy I get from my dog and because of that, because he loves me, is happy to help me by taking care of any needs she may have in that time.

When I am at home I take care of all her training and exercising etc. The kids also pitch in hen they are home.

When our last dog was a pup my OH did the same. 9 times out of 10 I am the one who is super sensitive to any chewing or whatever, he just shrugs and says "it was only a credit card/couch/shoe" etc. Though the 4 pairs of thongs he went through tested him a little. :bottom:

Taking care of a pup/dog at home during the day is not that hard, Im sure the OP's wife will cope and will probably end up enjoying the wonderful company. :rofl: Big deal if she doesnt- when the OP gets home he can give the dog lots of attention.

Edited by ✽deelee

Lambo if you like Ridgies, get in touch with some breeders for good solid info about them. The info copied from that website doesn't fit with the Ridgies I've known - but I'm not expert. My breed (Borzoi) was developed for hunting wolves, but that doesn't make them hard to live with - they're quite the opposite! So being originally a lion hound doesn't really mean much in the scheme of things.

As for time etc, a very reputable breeder took a chance on me many many years ago when I was very young and new to dogs, and entrusted me with a special pup from a high-requirements breed (Afghan). The dog never suffered for it, he lived a long an happy life. And I still get to catch up with that breeder every now and then, and she has been a referee for me when I have gone looking for other pups over the years.

To cut a long story short - you don't need to be an expert or have every minute to devote to a dog to be an excellent dog owner. :bottom:

It is unrealistic to expect a dog to be given attention 24/7 and that is not what the posters that contributed to your thread expect you to provide. I think the main alarm bells that are ringing for us are the bits I have bolded in the following quote from your original post:

I live on a moderate sized block - about 650m2. My other half isn't too keen on dogs, so I'm looking for a fairly low maintenance one - preferrably a breed that does not shed all over the place so as to keep the peace. The dog will be allowed in the house, but will probably we made to stay in the downstairs rumpus area - it definitely won't be allowed to sit on beds or wander into the bedrooms. Also, I have two kids, one 7 and other 10. So the dog needs to be good with kids.
Finally, I tend to work long hours throughout the week, and my kids lead fairly busy lifestyles. So any dog we get needs to be comfortable with its own company for most of the day and not be too clingy. My other half will probably be home during the day but is unlikely to interact with the dog as much as myself or our kids.

I have been following your thread as initially you had the Labrador, my breed of choice, on the list of dogs that you were considering and I thought straight away that your situation is not conducive to having a Lab pup and the more you posted with comments like "I'm thinking that provided the dog doesn't eat her huge collection of handbags or shoes, or shed its coat on her clothes, everything will work itself out. But methinks that if the littled dude/dudette so much as thinks of even licking a high-heel it will literally be in the doghouse.", the more I was convinced that your home would not be suitable for a Lap pup.

My concern is that Lab pups can be pretty mischevious as they are highly intelligent and energetic pups and can get up to all sorts of mischief :bottom: which can be pretty daunting for lab novices, but even more so if one of the partners in the relationship is not onside with getting the pup in the first place. I have even more concern when it is the woman in the relationship that is offside as they are normally the "glue" in the family and I have seen a few situations where the husband has been made to "get rid of the dog/pup" because it did something to upset the woman :rofl:

I can understand your wife's reluctance to get a dog because she is concerned the responsibility for looking after the pup will fall on her shoulders as the novelty will wear off for the kids and you work long hours. When you get a pup, irrespective of breed, you have to expect that there will be some casualties and damage caused by the pup, even for households that puppy proof their house/yard fairly well as it is all part and parcel of raising a pup :cheer: As puppies grow, they become adolescents, and this stage can be even more challenging than the puppy stage (think human teenagers :rofl: ) and some pups who never chewed a thing during their puppyhood can turn into destructo chewing machines during adolescence and some puppies who were the sweetest, calmest chilled out pups can turn into rebellious teenagers :o

From what you have posted, I believe your wife would not be tolerant of puppy/adolescent antics so I would strongly recommend you seriously consider getting an older dog, as has been suggested by some other posters. Make no mistake puppies are hard work, even for the most experienced of us, so taking on a more mature dog would place less stress and strain on your household :) Breeders and reputable Rescues are the best source for these dogs. Good luck with finding the right dog for your family :)

Guest Tess32

Collies do shed a reasonable amount, but if you brush regularly I don't think you'd find it that bad. They have 'rough' coats so it is a lot easier to pick up than silky, very short hair.

However some of them (not all) CAN be barkers.

Other than that, they are extremely easy to live with and would probably suit you well.

By all means, if you want a 45Kg 27" tall Rhode as your first dog to raise..and that would suit the OH and kids...then go for it. Like I said I know little about them except they are big, powerful and created to hunt lions in Africa.

Ridgebacks were bred to hunt lions but only to be used in a pack situation to corner a lion and keep it there until the hunters arrived. They are one hound that was never actually bred to attack or kill anything, including lions. They will bail up an intruder but are not at all inclined to bite them, it is simply not in their nature.

Yes, they are big and powerful but there is a big size difference between males and females and the females are generally not much bigger than many of the other breeds the OP was considering. They are a large breed not a giant breed.

I know a few Ridgeback breeders and have other friends that have them as pets and if I wanted a large smooth coated breed they would be my choice.