Seeking Advice On Selecting A Puppy

Lambo

By all means, if you want a 45Kg 27" tall Rhode as your first dog to raise..and that would suit the OH and kids...then go for it. Like I said I know little about them except they are big, powerful and created to hunt lions in Africa.

Ridgebacks were bred to hunt lions but only to be used in a pack situation to corner a lion and keep it there until the hunters arrived. They are one hound that was never actually bred to attack or kill anything, including lions. They will bail up an intruder but are not at all inclined to bite them, it is simply not in their nature.

Yes, they are big and powerful but there is a big size difference between males and females and the females are generally not much bigger than many of the other breeds the OP was considering. They are a large breed not a giant breed.

I know a few Ridgeback breeders and have other friends that have them as pets and if I wanted a large smooth coated breed they would be my choice.

Here is a good video of them playing with some other dogs. Gives a good idea of the energy power and size. Your right the bitches are much smaller.

edit...heres another nice one of them playing

Edited by shortstep

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shortstep, no I didn't mean you. To be honest, my comment was directed at no-one in particular but merely as a summation of the general "feel" I was getting from the various contributors. I did not intend to cause offence - like I said, its the sense I get - rightly or wrongly. Again, like I said the reference to "24/7" was probably overstating things a bit anyways.

As for your comment about Ridges, they appear on my list because my research so far seems to support what dancinbcs says. The dogtime website I referenced earlier also says: "Exuberant and active in puppyhood, he matures into a quiet dog with moderate exercise needs. The Ridgeback is protective of his home and a discriminating barker who can be counted on to alert you to trouble. He's reserved with strangers but gentle and affectionate with family members". Those attributes coupled with its smooth coat and larger size are what attract me to the breed. That said, I'm still not sold on them, particularly as I have young children.

In any event, my eldest has also indicated that doesn't mind the Weim either, which subject to the "neediness" issue seems to tick all my other boxes - that is unless I've missed something.

Sheridan, you're either deliberately trying to irritate me or you haven't bothered to read my posts properly. In either case, I don't propose to be goaded into a useless debate. If my intention was simply to force a dog on my OH to take care of, I'd have done it already.

Labsrule, like I said, the idea of starting with an older dog is in fact growing on me.

Lambo, it might be best to ignor Sheridan, you would not be alone is that idea.

You think it's a good idea for someone who is not on board getting a dog to end up taking care of it, do you?

Its not always so bad-

My OH did not want a dog, does not like dogs, and yet spends more time at home in the day with our dog.

He sees the joy I get from my dog and because of that, because he loves me, is happy to help me by taking care of any needs she may have in that time.

When I am at home I take care of all her training and exercising etc. The kids also pitch in hen they are home.

When our last dog was a pup my OH did the same. 9 times out of 10 I am the one who is super sensitive to any chewing or whatever, he just shrugs and says "it was only a credit card/couch/shoe" etc. Though the 4 pairs of thongs he went through tested him a little. :bottom:

Taking care of a pup/dog at home during the day is not that hard, Im sure the OP's wife will cope and will probably end up enjoying the wonderful company. :rofl: Big deal if she doesnt- when the OP gets home he can give the dog lots of attention.

Thats basically the same thing that happened with my parents. My dad didn't like dogs and he eventually came to do quite alot of the work for our dog and came to enjoy it. Unless they REALLY HATE dogs, I think there is a strong possibility that after spending time with the dog, they would come to accept/tolerate it (if not fall in love!)

I thought ridgeys were quite challenging for the first time owner (not saying it can't be done)? The thing with more "independent" type dogs is that they can also require more time and effort for training.

Have you thought about a compromise between a puppy and an adult eg a 4-9 month old.

I have personally found a huge difference between an 8 week old puppy ( I currently have one!) and a 4-5 month old puppy. I got my old dog Clover when she was a bit older around 4-5 months, and she required a lot less training, effort and time. Of course I am sure her personality had something to do with it but at that age they are fully vaccinated so you can take them out for long walks or run/play at the park to tire them which really helps. They can also "hold on" for longer so toilet training is easier. The good thing is they are still really quite puppy looking, cute and playful!

I know some people think that to really bond with a dog you have to have it from a young puppy ie 8 weeks, but I have to say imo that is ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!

Edited by aussielover

There is an active Ridgeback Rescue group in QLD. They would take you and your wife's needs into account before placing an adult dog with you.

A good Ridgeback breeder wouldn't sell a pup that was born with a defect like a dermoid sinus.

I would not really be taking into account the opinion of your eldest child. They don't have enough life experience to understand and compare the various behaviour traits and the implications of that, and would be probably choosing the dog on looks.

A weimeraner would be a good choice if your wife wanted to get really involved with dog activities, and interact lots with the dog, but at this stage that is an unknown.

I think an adult ridgy, a whippet or a greyhound would suit in that they would really enjoy your wife's daytime company, but not need a high level of interaction with her, should she choose to do her own thing around the house.

G'day Lambo

Some more info....

If you click on someones profile it is possible to ignore them and hence not see of any of their posts. I have a couple of those in place for posters whose input does not seem valuable to me.

I have a friend with a ridgeback. It is wonderful dog. Great with kids, noble BUT big!! and a bit drooly.

Raising a pup has its downsides but it is fun. You have children, hold down a job and manage to dress yourself in the morning..... you will be able to raise a puppy its not impossible. Ignore the sceptics.....males aren't as incapable as we are made out to be:)

If you are thinking of looking at a mature dog add the greyhound back to your list. Two reasons.....(1). Very nice dogs suitable to your needs, (2). because of the number of dogs surrendered out of the racing industry each year and the good job GAP do you end up with a very high quality pet. Met one the other day ("ursula" if any DOLers know her) who was being exercised by her foster owner while awaiting a home. A wonderful dog. I struggled not ring GAP and add her to our household.

All the Weimaraners I have known have all been very clingy, needy dogs. They are hard work as puppies because they are very demanding of the owners time but more sensible as adults if they have been trained right.

Just a bit on the Wei we had.

We took her on as 13 month old dog. Her previous owner had her titled in obedience!

She settled in like a Gem. Never a problem. Not particularly needy. Very easy to train - but then she had been trained from the word go and needed very little to make her fit into our life.

She was an outside dog. Although we do have a slab on ground house and she was always only a matter of a couple of metres from us just outside the kitchen door. Always close, but not under foot.

BUT - being sighthound, her recall was a bit less than I was (and am) used to with say Poodles or Dobes.

As a guard dog - totally useless. But she did do her job of keeping the birds away from our windows.

She was also an escape artist. Fortunately, being on a rural residential property, the electric fence fixed that.

She was also dumb. She would get out through the fence and not be able to work out how to get back in again. Idiot. Fortunately, our neighbour on that side would call us and help put her back on HER side of the fence. Pre-electric fence days, that is.

She did like to dig a cool bed in the garden to settle into when we were out. This had to be out the front where she waited quietly for us. The full brick kennel was just not good enough. But not much other damage.

After re-homing dogs as well as bringing them up from pups, I'm totally taken with re-homing them. Our last one (Kaisie the Dobe) was quite a challenge as she did not have the level of training the Wei did - but it has its own rewards. Anyone seeing her with me these would have no idea she was a re-home job at FOUR years of age. She is more "velcro dog" than the Wei ever was. :rofl: My first dog ever was a pure bred Poodle, totally neglected, with bad canker in the ears. It took her less than a week to win over my dog averse father. :rofl:

There are many, many advantages to taking home an adult dog as opposed to going through the puppy thing. :bottom:

On the subject of spouses and dogs, mine is the opposite perspective, but could be valuable input.

My husband loves our dogs. Completely and utterly adores them and never has a problem when we add another one to the pack. He has pics of them on his phone so he can brag about them, he talks about them constantly, he emails regular photos of them to his relatives in the US.

He doesn't, however, do anything for them in the way of daily care. He doesn't feed them, groom them, walk them, train them. He has never been to an obedience class, and goes to dog shows under sufferance.....although he DOES go, even though I wouldn't mind going alone. His idea of bathing them is to drive the dogs and me to the coin operated dog wash and stand there and watch while I bath them.

When he has a day off work, he rarely thinks to include them in his activities and it wouldn't even dawn on him to clip a lead on one and take it for a walk. They go outside on waking, the same as a work day and there they stay.

Yesterday I rang him to see where he was as I was in town shopping and he was home early. I had to ask him to exercise the dogs, as I knew he would never have thought of it himself. He was happy to do it once I'd asked, but it simply didn't occur to him they might like to stretch their legs.

Our dogs cope just fine with only me to care for them. So a spouse that isn't fond of dogs and might not interact with one isn't necessarily different to one who adores the dogs but just isn't a hands-on type of dog owner.

Bryan, thanks for the tip about ignoring users. What a great feature. Incidentally, who or what is GAP? Also, that dog show at Durack, is it on all weekend or was it on just today?

Noisymina, I suspect your using the term affectionately, but are all Weims "dumb"? I've noticed a lot of people who have posted photos of their Weims on the web describing them as stupid but lovable. Is that a fair reflection of the breed in your experience? Or did you just draw the short straw with yours?

Gaylek, the experience you describe touches on a topic I broached earlier, ie I assume that the dogs are just happy for someone to be there - and that interactivity is just a bonus for them.

Edited by Lambo

I too have experience with the OH issue.

My partner keeps telling me "no more dogs, I want to live without pets for a while", but we have two and will always have two whether he likes it or not (however, he has always been present when a new dog is chosen and doesn't protest while we are bringing a gorgeous new pup home).

He doesn't mind dogs but would prefer to have no pets at all. I love dogs to bits and can't imagine not having any. My partner will snuggle with both our dogs and give them treats and occasionally teach them a trick or take them for a walk but otherwise, all dog ownership responsibilities fall to me. That is fine, they are my dogs and he would prefer not to have any so I acept that they are mine to care for. Our daughter does not contribute at all, though I have recently made it her responsibility to feed them (with supervision) and she will walk the little one if I have the big one. My partner also looks after the dogs if I go away and a few weeks ago, the back fence collapsed and they escaped and he was in the car to look for them quicker than I was (yet apparently he would prefer life without them).

I think if your OH is open to having a dog - then everything will work out great! Yes puppies, and even older dogs, can be annoying and destructive etc etc but they are just so rewarding it is worth every little (or big) hassle.

Bryan, thanks for the tip about ignoring users. What a great feature. Incidentally, who or what is GAP? Also, that dog show at Durack, is it on all weekend or was it on just today?

Noisymina, I suspect your using the term affectionately, but are all Weims "dumb"? I've noticed a lot of people who have posted photos of their Weims on the web describing them as stupid but lovable. Is that a fair reflection of the breed in your experience? Or did you just draw the short straw with yours?

Gaylek, the experience you describe touches on a topic I broached earlier, ie I assume that the dogs are just happy for someone to be there - and that interactivity is just a bonus for them.

Here's the link to when the shows are on. Looks like tomorrow kicks off at 8:30 am.

Here is the link for the Greyhound Adoption Progamme in Qld.

Keep enjoying the hunt.

Hehehe.............

There are many different aspects to "intelligence".

When the dog exhausts herself running up and down the fence she just got out of because she can't work out how to get back, that is dumb. From one perspective. Many of the things we laugh at, we do so becasue it is, well, silly.

BUT she was also an obedience champion.

I suspect that they are a bit like the Beagles I have read about - when the brain focuses on a scent, everything elso gets forgotten. Including recall - or how they got through the fence in pursuit of that scent. For a tracking dog, brilliant. In other situations - not so clever. :D

Dobes are very intelligent - up there with the best of them in formal studies - but I was recenlty laughing at a u-tube video of a Dobe repeatedly trying to get a big bone through his doggy door - even tho there was no way that huge bone was going to go through there!

BUT let him loose on an intruder, even without training, and he would be awesome!

I'd not for one minute suggest you get a young Dobe on a suburban block. But an older one.......possibly.

Hi Noisy, I'm guessing a typo? but weis arent' sighthounds ;) xxx

I think there is a thread somewhere on here about a person who desperately wanted a wei and took on a slightly older dog with quite upsetting results as it was far too much for them to handle. I can't do the linky thing, but someone may be able to give it a go?

we have 3 ridgies as neighbours and my girlfriend breeds them, lovely lovely dogs, and they are huge and very protective. I dont have any issues with big dogs and children as we had giant schnauzers and wolfhounds with ours, as long as the children know how to treat animals etc.

The op has a lot to think about and will decide what breed he wants. I'm pretty impressed he is still around! :) as Dol can be pretty brutal at times as we are all so passionate about dogs not ending up being 'homeless' etc. It is not personal, just a dog thing ;)

With shedding I think we all know that shorthaired breeds are also capable of major shedding and I've seen many owners covered!! in hair from their pointers (of all nationalities) dalmations etc. In fact sometimes these hairs are worse as they seem to stick to everything like little splinters, hard to remove :clap::)

Maybe if you can narrow your choices down to 2 or 3 breeds Lambo, and then really take a good look with the family, not just at shows (where the dogs are usually pretty good) but at homes where you may see behaviours that 'freak' you out, or not, whatever the case may be. I know lots of people admire the viz , of course! THE prettiest breed there is ;) but when they see them in a home environment, they can be put off. What I love madly about them, others may not. ;)

Weis are lovely dogs. Probably not able to be walked by non adults (and really no dogs should be out with kids re attacks etc.) but oof course the larger and stronger the dog, the less a child could control it if it did decide to chase etc. I'm sure you have already thought of this anyway.

I still think either a grey or (not even on the list!!) a cattle dog :D as they are more independent, love to go jogging etc., love kids and are protective AND are a great size, compact etc. shed a little but a good brush once a week to remove loose hair would do the trick, and, they have nice big ears!!!

IMG_0401-1.jpg

100_0827-1.jpg

my choice was to not have a puppy. i have done the puppy thing in the past, but decided not any more. i work i have a child who is like a mini cyclone... 4 other small dogue. thought i would look around for a dogue of dally breeding whom was 1-3yo.

after looking (via rescue) for 8 mo and being told i needed a huge expensive colour bond fence.... what for on a rural property i am not sure. i purchased leo via a trading post add. if i had not paid for him he may have gone via a pound or rescue. he was only 10mo. now a year on he is very well mannered and a delight. apart from being clingly to me. i can understand that as i am his third owner in his short life.

i wanted a particular breed a dally! one of the rescue ladys got really upset when she tryed to give me a "just like a dally but without the spots"

leo is now part of our show team, with clydesdales it is a tradition. which is my reason for having him. also another reason why some of the foster carers said i was not suitable... their idea was it was a fashion statement.

getting any sort of pet requires a comittment and if you take your time, "the right one" will find you. leo found me and i would not have it any other way!

as for the shedding mention above.... leo doesn't shed much... only twice a year...6mo in summer and 6mo in winter.... i noticed yesterday my lappy key board is full of white 'matian hair! i have also tryed to convince the OH that dog hair is a condiment.... as sugested on here he's not buying it so far.

All the Weimaraners I have known have all been very clingy, needy dogs. They are hard work as puppies because they are very demanding of the owners time but more sensible as adults if they have been trained right.

Just a bit on the Wei we had.

We took her on as 13 month old dog. Her previous owner had her titled in obedience!

She settled in like a Gem. Never a problem. Not particularly needy. Very easy to train - but then she had been trained from the word go and needed very little to make her fit into our life.

She was an outside dog. Although we do have a slab on ground house and she was always only a matter of a couple of metres from us just outside the kitchen door. Always close, but not under foot.

BUT - being sighthound, her recall was a bit less than I was (and am) used to with say Poodles or Dobes.

As a guard dog - totally useless. But she did do her job of keeping the birds away from our windows.

She was also an escape artist. Fortunately, being on a rural residential property, the electric fence fixed that.

She was also dumb. She would get out through the fence and not be able to work out how to get back in again. Idiot. Fortunately, our neighbour on that side would call us and help put her back on HER side of the fence. Pre-electric fence days, that is.

She did like to dig a cool bed in the garden to settle into when we were out. This had to be out the front where she waited quietly for us. The full brick kennel was just not good enough. But not much other damage.

After re-homing dogs as well as bringing them up from pups, I'm totally taken with re-homing them. Our last one (Kaisie the Dobe) was quite a challenge as she did not have the level of training the Wei did - but it has its own rewards. Anyone seeing her with me these would have no idea she was a re-home job at FOUR years of age. She is more "velcro dog" than the Wei ever was. :) My first dog ever was a pure bred Poodle, totally neglected, with bad canker in the ears. It took her less than a week to win over my dog averse father. ;)

There are many, many advantages to taking home an adult dog as opposed to going through the puppy thing. :D

As Monah said, Weis are NOT sighthounds... they are high prey drive dogs who were originally bred as blood trackers who would also bring down large game. They were later toned down in order to become a useful breed for smaller game, and hence became useful as a gun dog. They are still used in Germany today to track larger game. Germans will not allow ANY weimaraner to go to a home that does not plan to work their dog in hunting disciplines.

The weimaraner breed is NOT dumb. They are an incredibly versatile breed, and the fact is, the breed needs to not only be independent to achieve their job, but they also need to have high intelligence in order to do it. This is one of the reasons why a Weimaraner is not a breed for everyone. As I have said in my previous post, they were bred by the germans to be the constant companion, hunting and protection - rarely kenneled, they lived inside with their family. Their absolute desire to be with their people is paramount, and that is why it is not the breed for everyone, and not everyone understands their needs. They not only require direction in order to be a good companion, but they require good leadership.

Weimaraners have a reputation for being high strung, dumb and/or stubborn. Those who describe the breed that way lack understanding for the breed or met one who has lacked the leadership they require in order to be a good companion. Forgive me for trying to stand up for a wonderful breed who still retains its instinct to do what it was bred for.

It's funny how the breeds bred to do a job in an independent manner are often given the label of dumb... setters, for example... instinctively RANGE out in order to locate and point game... recall, and listening to direction? well not so good is it? They aren't dumb, they are wired to do a job they were bred to do. The same could be said for sighthounds and scenthounds...

And yet all these breeds are owned by thousands of people as everyday companions... because they understand the breed, and they make allowances for that breed. If you understand the breed and make allowances for it, it can be a good companion.

Lambo are you in QLD?

There are 2 lovely rescue dogs on page 48 of the , sunday mail, Remmy a cattle dog lovely with kids and dogs, loves a ball etc. and Tish a shepherd kelpie cross who is already obedient, good on a lead, quiet and well behaved. :D :) (just a thought ;) )xxx

excellent post sparky, I dont believe any dog is 'dumb' :clap: just misunderstood. Some sighthounds(wolfhounds) we've had have been called dumb ;) because they dont leap to attention and do 'tricks' quickly etc. All I can say is OMG! they are so clever ;) it's scary! They are independent thinkers and very very clever.

Hi Noisy, I'm guessing a typo? but weis arent' sighthounds

Yeh - unfortunately, it was brain typo. I was dreaming about it last night after I went to bed - but forgot to come back and check to see if that was ACTUALLY what I posted!

Sorry guys. :rofl:

At least someone was reading - which I find rather delightful, actually. :rolleyes:

No I was not implying she was a totally dumb dog at all. Just in some situations thay appear to be so - if you don't realise the motivation they work on.

Same could be said of most dogs at times. :rofl:

Lambo

Not sure if you made it out to Durack this morning for a look around. I took the kids out for a wander and had a squiz at the agility.

They tick none of your boxes but there were some nice looking Dogue de Bordeaux about. :):eek:

Got to pat a whippet pup too and speak to a couple of breeders who have pups in the offing.. nudge nudge

Two more shots

post-28374-1275824737_thumb.jpg

post-28374-1275824755_thumb.jpg