Concerned

Dogs shed their baby teeth starting at about 4 months and immediately grow adult teeth, reabsorbing the roots of the baby teeth. They usually have their full set of 42 adult teeth by 7-8 months. Sometimes a baby tooth is retained. If this is the case it should be removed by a vet because it can cause problems by interfering with bite or harbouring infection.

It is not at all normal for a dog to be still teething at one year of age!

An informative website states the following:

Like us, dogs will have two sets of teeth in their lifetime-baby teeth and permanent adult teeth. Their baby teeth, number 28 and erupt through the gums when the dog is between three and six weeks old. The dog will shed its baby teeth and its permanent adult teeth will come in between two and eight months of age.

While there is some variation between breeds, most adult dogs have 42 teeth. Incisors come in first, then canines (fangs), and then the dogs’ premolars. The molars come in last at about six or seven months.

Reasons for it still being an issue could be that the dog is a badly bred x breed and no care has been taken by the breeder to check for any health issues with either parent.

I would think a complete check up with your vet will confirm if there are any problems with the teething or if it is something else.

Edited by tyra20007

I have a toy X mini poodle that has just turned 1 and she is still teething. I am not sure if it is normal for this to be happening.

When you say she is still teething, do you mean that she has some baby teeth that have not fallen out as her adult teeth have come through?

Reasons for it still being an issue could be that the dog is a badly bred x breed and no care has been taken by the breeder to check for any health issues with either parent.

I would think a complete check up with your vet will confirm if there are any problems with the teething or if it is something else.

"I am interested in how you go about basing your thoughts on this please"

Every single puppy will teeth in its own way no matter how they are bred or from whom they are bred.

what do you mean by health issues with either parent???

and no I wouldnt trust all vets on giving a correct diagnosis. alot of them stuff it up

I have a toy X mini poodle that has just turned 1 and she is still teething. I am not sure if it is normal for this to be happening.

When you say she is still teething, do you mean that she has some baby teeth that have not fallen out as her adult teeth have come through?

No by teething it is like all she wants to do is chew on solid objects and she seems to be really slow eating compared to what she use to eat like.

No by teething it is like all she wants to do is chew on solid objects and she seems to be really slow eating compared to what she use to eat like.

Have you had a good look in her mouth to see if she has not got retained baby teeth giving her trouble, sometimes they can make the dogs mouth sore, have you checked to see if she has something stuck in between her teeth or in her gum line that may be making it uncomfortable for her to eat. Does her breath smell fresh?

She may simply be chewing objects for fun and our of boredom, and her slower eating could simply be a case of her maturing and not feeling so hungry all the time.

If you are really concerned after you have checked her mouth out maybe a visit to your vet could be in order.

Every single puppy will teeth in its own way no matter how they are bred or from whom they are bred.

and no I wouldnt trust all vets on giving a correct diagnosis. alot of them stuff it up

My puppy is a pure bred poodle she is not x bred but i will wait a few months because as you say all dogs are different.

Some dogs just like to chew! There could be other issues that make her slow to eat. I would get her mouth checked out at the vets, she might have an issue you are unaware of.

Have you had a good look in her mouth to see if she has not got retained baby teeth giving her trouble, sometimes they can make the dogs mouth sore, have you checked to see if she has something stuck in between her teeth or in her gum line that may be making it uncomfortable for her to eat. Does her breath smell fresh?

She may simply be chewing objects for fun and our of boredom, and her slower eating could simply be a case of her maturing and not feeling so hungry all the time.

If you are really concerned after you have checked her mouth out maybe a visit to your vet could be in order.

i havent looked as yet but no her breath doesnt smell fresh at all and i have thought about her just being bored but its not that she is just chewing on things it is like she is chewing sideways if you get what I mean. I am planing in the next day or so to get either some denta bones or a nylon bone..

My puppy is a pure bred poodle she is not x bred but i will wait a few months because as you say all dogs are different.

you first post does say toy X mini poodle.... :rofl:

Sounds like a behavioural problem which needs to be corrected, however I would also suggest a vet check to make sure her mouth/gums are healthy.

What is her weight like? Is it possible she's slower to eat because she's just not as hungry?

How much exercise does she get daily?

i havent looked as yet but no her breath doesnt smell fresh at all and i have thought about her just being bored but its not that she is just chewing on things it is like she is chewing sideways if you get what I mean. I am planing in the next day or so to get either some denta bones or a nylon bone..

I have just had a look in her mouth and i was wondering how do you tell if r=she has a retained baby tooth??? She does have a baby tooth but i am not sure if it is retained???

Does your groomer not check mouths??

We check all our clients mouths & point out retained teeth,bad teeth or anything abnormal??

If you really dont now then you need to head off to the vet,dentabones wont solve the issue & a retained tooth needs to be pulled out under GA.

you first post does say toy X mini poodle.... :(

Yes it does say Toy X Mini poodle but she is still purebred and no she is a small dog.

Sounds like a behavioural problem which needs to be corrected, however I would also suggest a vet check to make sure her mouth/gums are healthy.

What is her weight like? Is it possible she's slower to eat because she's just not as hungry?

How much exercise does she get daily?

I thought mixing a toy with a mini was still creating a crossbred?

Standards, miniatures and toys are each a breed in their own right.

eta

they have different breed standards(albeit different sizes) but they are judged as separate breeds.

If you have a toy x mini then you do not have a purebred. But the problem is her teeth!!!!!!!!!!

And so long as you dont intend to breed from her and I am presuming she does not have papers???? then no problem!!!???

Edited by stonebridge

If your girl is already 12 months old, why will you wait a few more months????

For what???

If she has retained a baby tooth then it needs taking out. She could have gingavitous(sp)infection of the gums or a rotten tooth can cause some serious problems as well.

Edited by stonebridge

If your girl is already 12 months old, why will you wait a few more months????

For what???

If she has retained a baby tooth then it needs taking out. She could have gingavitous(sp)infection of the gums or a rotten tooth can cause some serious problems as well.

Well firstly i am not 100% sure that her tooth is retained. secondly i am going to wait to see if it fall's out and thirdly i know that all them diesese's are life thretning if they dont get treated!!!!!