Vetting Potential Owners

lanabanana

Advice, opinions etc.

I think information would be fantastic for those who are new to breeding or would like to breed for future reference.

Obviously you cannot guarantee a perfect home 100% but what are some of the questions you ask of potential owners or things you look for to ensure your babies are going to the best possible home?

Do you follow up to with the new home to check how things are going?

After we moved to Oz, we left our two dogs and cats behind to be shipped later. The dogs came but we decided it was int he best interests for my girls (cats) to be rehomed. Unfortunately I was not there to do it personally and the friend with the cats did it for me. I spoke to the potential owners on the phone and via email but as you can imagine very hard to gauge. Luckily, 6 months after they went to their new home, I went to NZ and was able to visit. The new owner keeps in contact and regularly sends me emails and photos of which I am grateful for as I did not want to rehome them (long story but was best for them). Luckily, they have ended up in a perfect forever home even better than the home I was able to provide but it would have been good, particulary for my friend, to have known what to look out for etc.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just questions that will tell me what sort of pet the people are looking for and what type of home they will offer the pet, then it is a case of seeing how that matches up to the type of home would suit each pup, IMO.

I'm not a breeder but these were some of the questions I was asked {some are direct copy pastas from email transactions}:

* What would you do if you had little income and your dog was seriously ill?

* Can you see yourself spending at least two hours daily with your dog?

* Why does this breed appeal to you?

* Are you prepared for the fact that puppies do grow up into dogs and live for a long time?

* If you were struggling to meet your dog's needs, what would be your course of action re re-homing?

* Are you prepared to work through behaviour problems?

I was also asked questions about my income {no personal pressing questions, only can I make a budget for dog supplies in my current income}, my house and backyard size, my experience with puppy and dog training, if I had plans for future children and how would the dog fit into those plans...etc, plus some unexpected questions that I didn't think of, but on reflection make sense, like

* Do the children in your family have any experience with dogs and puppies?

* Do you know what chemicals and plants are dangerous for dogs and know they're not in easy reach?

Plus what I call 'pop quiz' questions, like "so how would you stop a puppy from biting?"

They were very through and I was under the impression that they cared very deeply about not only what homes their puppies were going to, but what type of adult dog they would turn out to be, which is important to me.

I'm not a breeder but these were some of the questions I was asked {some are direct copy pastas from email transactions}:

* What would you do if you had little income and your dog was seriously ill?

* Can you see yourself spending at least two hours daily with your dog?

* Why does this breed appeal to you?

* Are you prepared for the fact that puppies do grow up into dogs and live for a long time?

* If you were struggling to meet your dog's needs, what would be your course of action re re-homing?

* Are you prepared to work through behaviour problems?

I was also asked questions about my income {no personal pressing questions, only can I make a budget for dog supplies in my current income}, my house and backyard size, my experience with puppy and dog training, if I had plans for future children and how would the dog fit into those plans...etc, plus some unexpected questions that I didn't think of, but on reflection make sense, like

* Do the children in your family have any experience with dogs and puppies?

* Do you know what chemicals and plants are dangerous for dogs and know they're not in easy reach?

Plus what I call 'pop quiz' questions, like "so how would you stop a puppy from biting?"

They were very through and I was under the impression that they cared very deeply about not only what homes their puppies were going to, but what type of adult dog they would turn out to be, which is important to me.

Some great questions there - I like the idea of a pop quiz...maybe some things the potential owners don't expect so they can "prepare"

you may find people are not open to discussing this subject - giving a list of questions and desired answers on a public forum may negate the usefulness of asking.

The "what we look for" will be completely different for most breeds - new breeders would be best served having a breed mentor :rofl:

Edited by Kissindra

The longer you breed, the more questions one has. Situations that occur along the way create the need for additional questions and let's face it, we have people from all sectors approaching us for puppies, including showers and breeders, so we need to cover all sectors with our questioning.

We have developed an initial questionnaire that endeavours to cover a basic introduction from all sectors which we require to be completed before any further discussions occur. Why? Well if there is reluctance to complete the questionnaire, or put anything in writing, then the applicant has failed our first line of screening - end of story. There's a lot of effort involved in owning a puppy and if they're not prepared for the first effort, then are they prepared for the rest of it? No in our opinion.

We give and require complete honesty and it is the contents and communicativeness of the responses to the questionnaire that will stimulate further contact between us and the new family. Most will be only too glad to provide the information. It is the ones that are reluctant that start ringing alarm bells. A lot of anomolies are picked up through the questionnaire that assist in directing further questioning.

Sounds like a drill? Well, yes it is in a way, but a drill with a purpose and that is to go as far as possible towards ensuring that our kids have as happy and healthy a life as we can provide for them.

The breeder I bought Benson from asked me exactly this question. My reply...."My last dog died two months ago, she was 14 years old and it was nowhere near long enough".

I think that clinched it.

The small problem with pop quizzes is that people who lurk on forums know what to answer even if it isn't the truth. If I were ever to source a dog from rescue, or some breeders, for example, I would never admit to working full time. Firstly, it's none of their business, and secondly in some cases, it's an immediate dismissal.

The breeder I bought Benson from asked me exactly this question. My reply...."My last dog died two months ago, she was 14 years old and it was nowhere near long enough".

The small problem with pop quizzes is that people who lurk on forums know what to answer even if it isn't the truth. If I were ever to source a dog from rescue, or some breeders, for example, I would never admit to working full time. Firstly, it's none of their business, and secondly in some cases, it's an immediate dismissal.

and in some cases there is a damn good reason for it being an immediate dismissal.

Yes, I agree, the ones who are seeking to replace a long time friend are usually the best ones aren't they. And I also agree that some people will not give the whole truth, or even lie verbally or in writing, that's why the way we approach them is so important. It's amazing the anomolies that can be picked up in general conversation, or indeed, how questions are asked, either verbally or written.

We've had a person doing the rounds here lately and in each case, as she purports to want to start breeding, any questions in regard to membership or prefix applications have produced a wriggling that any worm would be proud of. Oddly enough she's complaining about how hard it is to get a puppy on main registration. :rofl:

I tlike the idea of a questionnaire too.

Kissindra - I am not expecting "list of questions", just a general idea of the process people use. If you have something constructive that would be excellent.

yes, get a breed good breed mentor to guide you, know your breed and get to know people who own your breed to get a feel for what homes work while being open to the idea that a good home may come in a variety of forms.

I reckon you've made 2 excellent points.

First, information on a person's past history as a pet owner, is pure gold. (And with references or documentation that supports what they tell.)

People's behaviour tends to be consistent. Good pet owners continue to be good pet owners. Ditto for the opposites.

Simply encouraging people to speak freely....as part of a general 'chat'...about the pets they've owned, can be illuminating. People tend to be less guarded & more spontaneous when 'chatting'....unlike how they think before answering a written questionnaire or being asked what sounds like a stock question.

(I'm not saying breeders shouldn't use both of those, too. Just saying include the informal 'chat', too.)

Second, people can tend to answer written or spoken questions with what they know (or believe) the questioner wants to hear.

One way to double-check.....is to ask for the same information twice.....but from a different angle.

Also asking for references (& checking them out) or for some kind of independent documentation, will help.

How people respond to all this, is a good test in itself. The good responsible pet owner who understands how important the future of the little pup is, to a breeder, will comply. Anyone who starts to fuss or get defensive or seriously annoyed about 'being asked too many questions', cancels themselves out, IMO.

Edited by mita

I reckon you've made 2 excellent points.

First, information on a person's past history as a pet owner, is pure gold. (And with references or documentation that supports what they tell.)

People's behaviour tends to be consistent. Good pet owners continue to be good pet owners. Ditto for the opposites.

Simply encouraging people to speak freely....as part of a general 'chat'...about the pets they've owned, can be illuminating. People tend to be less guarded & more spontaneous when 'chatting'....unlike how they think before answering a written questionnaire or being asked what sounds like a stock question.

(I'm not saying breeders shouldn't use both of those, too. Just saying include the informal 'chat', too.)

Second, people can tend to answer written or spoken questions with what they know (or believe) the questioner wants to hear.

One way to double-check.....is to ask for the same information twice.....but from a different angle.

Also asking for references (& checking them out) or for some kind of independent documentation, will help.

How people respond to this, is a good test in itself. The good responsible pet owner who understands how important the future of the little pup is, to a breeder, will comply. Anyone who starts to fuss or get defensive or seriously annoyed about 'being asked too many questions', cancels themselves out, IMO.

Absoluely agree with all this. We've had responses to these questionnaires that consist only of flippant content. That's enough of an indication for us that they're not suitable new owners. But conversly, we mostly get loads of information which we then follow through on. This is only our first step and one designed to sort out the, for want of a better word, timewasters from the genuine. We mostly find that the effort of completing the questionnaire means that respondees are those who are more open and honest an informative, as the form is designed to allow a lot of information. There are exceptions and one does have to keep an eye out for them of course.

We also get contact by phone or email and while we respond to these, they are always directed back to completing the sheet prior to being considered for a puppy. It is also helpful with our record keeping files as the form can then be filed with our litter paperwork.

We find that it has the affect of letting prospective puppy owners understand that we do value our little babies and are concerned for their future lives (which we do and are) and also implants the need to be responsible for same. It also educates puppy seekers that it's not a 'shop' where the goods are for their choice only.

Edited by Wags

We find that it has the affect of letting prospective puppy owners understand that we do value our little baby's and are concerned for their future lives (which we do and are) and also implants the need to be responsible for same. It also educates puppy seekers that it's not a 'shop' where the goods are for their choice only.

Absolutely, Wags! The genuine dog lovers will respond with warmth & empathy to this. And with gratitude that their 'likely' puppy has got such a wonderful start in life. A breeder who cares about her pup's future welfare, is a breeder who cares about her breeding decisions and the health & temperament of her dogs.

Those applicants who don't respond but whose focus remains just on 'buying' the pup, right now, would need a bit more looking into.

We find that it has the affect of letting prospective puppy owners understand that we do value our little baby's and are concerned for their future lives (which we do and are) and also implants the need to be responsible for same. It also educates puppy seekers that it's not a 'shop' where the goods are for their choice only.

Absolutely, Wags! The genuine dog lovers will respond with warmth & empathy to this. And with gratitude that their 'likely' puppy has got such a wonderful start in life. A breeder who cares about her pup's future welfare, is a breeder who cares about her breeding decisions and the health & temperament of her dogs.

Those applicants who don't respond but whose focus remains just on 'buying' the pup, right now, would need a bit more looking into.

A breeder who cares about her pup's future welfare, is a breeder who cares about her breeding decisions and the health & temperament of her dogs

What a fabulous way of putting this - well done !!

A breeder who cares about her pup's future welfare, is a breeder who cares about her breeding decisions and the health & temperament of her dogs

Wags, it's Well Done to the registered breeders that we've got our tibbies from. Because that's 'them' to a T!

When people admire our dogs' looks & temperament & behaviour... and congratulate me, I tell them that's how they came from their breeder!

The breeder who brought up our present 2 tibs, always asks, 'How are my girls?'

Anyone who'd be threatened by a question like that...wouldn't twig that's why we've got such lovely dogs. :D

Wags, it's Well Done to the registered breeders that we've got our tibbies from. Because that's 'them' to a T!

When people admire our dogs' looks & temperament & behaviour... and congratulate me, I tell them that's how they came from their breeder!

The breeder who brought up our present 2 tibs, always asks, 'How are my girls?'

Anyone who'd be threatened by a question like that...wouldn't twig that's why we've got such lovely dogs. :D

Absolutely !!!! I send off regular update prompt emails to those I haven't heard from for a while and like to give updates to those that I've bought puppies from as I know how wonderful it is to get them.

and in some cases there is a damn good reason for it being an immediate dismissal.

I would agree.

I used to place some dogs in homes where people worked full time, and other dogs in homes where people were around more, because it is important the right dog is matched to the home.

If somebody lied about their working hours, it might become apparent that they did not return home emails during business hours, or that they were not available for the home visit or to collect the dog during business hours, or even that they just weren't answering their home phone during the day.

There are a few things that can be done to check for liars on different sections of the application, and if caught they wouldn't get a dog at all, even if we did have a more suitable one for their lifestyle. I would also spread the word as appropriate.

It is pretty useless to be asking yes or no questions when screening owners, the more they talk, the more you can judge whether to proceed with the next step of the application. Everyone will say "yes" if you ask them if they have a fence. Ask them to describe the fence, gates and yard and you get a much better picture. The more info you have, the more you can verify to make sure their story is consistent.

If I sell a dog to somebody in an ethical way, it is my business to ascertain as much as reasonable about the new owner so the dog suits their lifestyle. Otherwise it isn't ethical, it is no different to opening a pet shop.

If there was one single screening method that I would pick as the best, it is the having people wait between enquiring and being offered a dog. There are steps that need to happen in matching them with a dog, and that takes time. There are exceptional circumstances where I wouldn't make somebody wait, but normally I would.

That sorts out any impatient people, or people who just want any dog instead of the right dog for them. How the applicant deals with the wait may also indicate how they deal with other minor problems, and give an idea of how enthusiastic they are.

There are various red flags that show somebody might be hiding something or being dishonest. I am not going to post about that here.

At the end of the day, you wouldn't be placing many dogs in homes if you went to extreme lengths to check every home. So any hint of a problem or dishonesty, and I will pass that person in favour of an application that sounds genuine.

With screening, you will never know about all the 'good' homes you miss, but all that matters is making sure that all the dogs in your care go into homes that seem right.

........... Firstly, it's none of their business, and secondly in some cases, it's an immediate dismissal.

Actually, GayleK, it is very much the business of the people rehoming a rescue or homing a puppy. Some dogs are simply not suited to being left home alone for long periods and some dogs will take to it with not a problem at all. It is essential that rehomers/homers know their dogs so they can put their dogs where all parties' needs will be met.

About 5 years ago, I was visiting a prospective foster carer with a view to adopting and discovered that she had an unfenced above ground swimming pool with steps up to the surrounding decking as well as great big holes in her fence. She said in the 30 years she'd had the pool she hadn't had anything go wrong and then proceded to tell me of all the things that had happened !!! She did not get the dog.

Here's our (always evolving) questionnaire.

I wouldn't put this on an open forum :D . However, if a home visit is part of the homing/rehoming process anyone telling porkies should be sprung to a certain degree.