Vetting Potential Owners

lanabanana

In regards to the "renting or owning" issue.

What if someone is renting? Do you not let the dog go to that home?

For example, I moved out of home at 16 and got my first dog at 17 (first OWN dog). I have never owned a property (and it doesn't look like I will anytime soon - sooo expensive) and I am now 30 and have had 2 dogs all during that time (the dogs have changed obviously). I have never been homeless. I have had trouble finding a property sometimes but have always got one when I needed to.

I don't have any familial support in Australia (we have been here a year) or any friends yet so nowhere to stay with the dogs if I was to have no home to go to. I have never rehomed a dog as a result of "not finding a property that allows dogs" and I have never lied to a landlord about owning dogs. Also, I don't hold out for a nice place that will take dogs...I am happy to live in a nasty house if it means I get to have my dogs there and it is suitable for them.

My opinion is, if it really came down to it, I would live in my car with my dogs until suitable accommodation came up, or put them in a kennel temporarily.

So, would this affect me purchasing from a breeder? Am I going to be seen as a less desirable home because I do not own my own property? Even though my history suggests once I take a dog, they have a forever home where they are considered just as important as the human members.

Edited by lanabanana

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For example, I moved out of home at 16 and got my first dog at 17 (first OWN dog). I have never owned a property (and it doesn't look like I will anytime soon - sooo expensive) and I am now 30 and have had 2 dogs all during that time (the dogs have changed obviously). I have never been homeless. I have had trouble finding a property sometimes but have always got one when I needed to.

I don't have any familial support in Australia (we have been here a year) or any friends yet so nowhere to stay with the dogs if I was to have no home to go to. I have never rehomed a dog as a result of "not finding a property that allows dogs" and I have never lied to a landlord about owning dogs.

My opinion is, if it really came down to it, I would live in my car with my dogs until suitable accommodation came up, or put them in a kennel temporarily.

So, would this affect me purchasing from a breeder? Am I going to be seen as a less desirable home because I do not own my own property? Even though my history suggests once I take a dog, they have a forever home where they are considered just as important as the human members.

I would not have asked if you own or rent, I have never asked that question, so would not have come up with me.

It is difficult with renters, because there are always people claiming to have to surrender a dog because it isn't possible to get accommodation if they are unexpectedly required to move.

I wouldn't accept that you will live in a car with a dog, because the RSPCA could take the dog off you if you did that.

I would be questioning you. (Please don't answer)

Are you well-resourced enough to kennel a dog if you were evicted?

Why are you renting?

Do you have plans for home ownership? Why not wait until you have secure accommodation before getting a dog?

I would also be more subtly trying to ascertain answers to other questions about your history of ownership, your age, and how stable your lifestyle is.

There are no right or wrong answers, just a picture to build up to try to assess the risk of placing a dog with you.

Some good owners may end up missing out on a dog, but good owners get evicted from rental properties as well as bad dog owners.

good answer - thanks

I was only using my post above as an "example" - though all was true. It was just an easy example for me as I am a renter and have owned dogs since I started renting. The car part was admittedly a bit silly but I was more trying to emphasize that I would do anything bar rehoming a dog LOL

I don't assume only bad dog owners are evicted - I don't even think dogs comes into the equation most of the time when it comes to eviction - there are other reasons for evicting someone and I imagine dogs would be a very small percentage of the reasons

In regards to you asking "why are you renting"....is that really a serious question? I mean, surely most (not all obviously) people are renting due to ridiculous prices on purchasing so the question is almost answered before it is even asked isn't it?

And the one about "waiting for secure accommodation before getting a dog" - what if they already have a dog?

Some of these questions (not just yours) get a bit nitty gritty - I mean there must be less invasive questions to ask that will give you an idea of whether someone will provide a great forever home whether they work, dont work, rent, own, whatever.

Some of these questions (not just yours) get a bit nitty gritty - I mean there must be less invasive questions to ask that will give you an idea of whether someone will provide a great forever home whether they work, dont work, rent, own, whatever.

Some of the answers will be quite obvious with no need to ask. Other questions would be asked in an appropriate way.

Maybe house prices are 'ridiculous' in your area and that is why the person rents. But many of us do manage to purchase houses in order to secure a lifestyle, while other people have different spending priorities.

It isn't just about how great the home is, it is about reducing the risk of the dog having to be rehomed as an adult.

I try to treat puppy buyers the way I want to be treated myself.No questionnaires for me I just ask about their experience with the breed and their lifestyle. I get them chatting,tell them about the breed and examples of their characteristics and whats needed to own one and listen. If I get any feeling they are not for one of my pups they don't get one.

The most inappropriate homes which may pass a questionnaire because they know what to say can get through.

If I don't trust someone enough to take one of my dogs without home checks and the like they don't get one.

This is how Emmy's breeder vetted me. No questionaire. Just long conversations getting to know each other, talk about the breed, talk about our history with dogs, Charlie's health etc... then she offered me Emmy :hug:

I don't have any familial support in Australia (we have been here a year) or any friends yet so nowhere to stay with the dogs if I was to have no home to go to. I have never rehomed a dog as a result of "not finding a property that allows dogs" and I have never lied to a landlord about owning dogs. Also, I don't hold out for a nice place that will take dogs...I am happy to live in a nasty house if it means I get to have my dogs there and it is suitable for them.

No, if you answered that you rented, I would ask you to send to me a letter, on letterhead and signed by your agent, stating that you are allowed to have dog(s) on the property and inside the home.

good answer - thanks

I was only using my post above as an "example" - though all was true. It was just an easy example for me as I am a renter and have owned dogs since I started renting. The car part was admittedly a bit silly but I was more trying to emphasize that I would do anything bar rehoming a dog LOL

I don't assume only bad dog owners are evicted - I don't even think dogs comes into the equation most of the time when it comes to eviction - there are other reasons for evicting someone and I imagine dogs would be a very small percentage of the reasons

In regards to you asking "why are you renting"....is that really a serious question? I mean, surely most (not all obviously) people are renting due to ridiculous prices on purchasing so the question is almost answered before it is even asked isn't it?

And the one about "waiting for secure accommodation before getting a dog" - what if they already have a dog?

I trust that the people I choose will be responsible if they have to move from their current rental property. If I had the any inkling that they would not be responsible, I wouldn't allow them to adopt at all, let alone becuase they rent.

I have had a lot of enquiries who when asked if they are allowed dogs on the rental property answer 'Yes, of course' and then when pressed to provide a written statement to this effect by the landlord or managing agent, they can't and don't. :hug: In this situation, I do not consider the application any further. If they can provide proof that they are permitted to have dogs inside the property, then they are treated just like any other potential new home.

Edited by ~Anne~

When I was emailing breeders trying to find my Aussie Shepherd, I think I added SOOOO much info into the first email about myself, my home, that i'm at uni, other dogs in the house, my experience, what I planned to do with my pup.... it was about a page long!!!!

After that first email, then I would get a phone call and go from there - with Lottie's breeder, I gave her so much info about myself and what I wanted etc that the phone call was just a chance to talk to me and get to know me better.... the rest is history...

Going by some of the questionairs, I might not look like the 'best' owner - I'm a full time uni student, but I do have a part time job, a very supportive family, an awesome house on 1/2 acre, doggy friends for Lottie, and money saved up for any illnesses etc. So although I might not look it on paper, I think I have offered Lottie an amazing home!!!!

I don't have any familial support in Australia (we have been here a year) or any friends yet so nowhere to stay with the dogs if I was to have no home to go to. I have never rehomed a dog as a result of "not finding a property that allows dogs" and I have never lied to a landlord about owning dogs.

I would not have asked if you own or rent, I have never asked that question, so would not have come up with me.

I ask if you own or rent and if renting I like a letter from the landlord stating that dogs are ok in the property and I check this myself, but then again I wont rehome a dog with anybody who is under the age of 18!

Thats just MY rules. :hug:

I think 18 is a good age myself. That is generally when most teenagers start becomign responsible for themselves.

I got my dog at 17 because the pups were an accidental litter and the owner of the mother was a friend of my boyfriend at the times family.

She was an awesome awesome dog and has really set the standard for well behaved, lovely natured dogs and she had minimal training as she just automatically did what she was meant to do. We (not the same boyf) had her until 1st July last year when we had to PTS (cancer) only 3 weeks after she arrived in Oz (and 3 weeks after her 12th birthday) after 3 months away from us (the dogs stayed with a very good friend while we settled). So very glad she made it home for 3 weeks before she got ill though to be honest, I thought I would have her for a few years yet. I miss her lots - my special girl.

Looking back I think the only reason I was mature enough at 17 for my own dog was because I had already been living out of home and paying my own way for over a year by that stage. You soon grow up when mummy isnt doign everything for you LOL but otherwise, I totally agree with 18....anybody under that would usually be living at home and it would really be their parents dog.

Looking back I think the only reason I was mature enough at 17 for my own dog was because I had already been living out of home and paying my own way for over a year by that stage. You soon grow up when mummy isnt doign everything for you LOL but otherwise, I totally agree with 18....anybody under that would usually be living at home and it would really be their parents dog.

I think/hope this is a case by case. I am looking at getting a dog for my daughter in the next 12 months. She is only 11.

She has already proven herself to be a very capable handler & trainer and it has been her obsession for a couple of years now to train her own dog up for competition. She is fully aware that I will help her with training and obviously it goes without saying that I will be ultimately responsible, but it will still be her dog. I like to think that breeders would be open to selling us a pup for her once they got to know her & saw her abilities as an owner & handler.

I do not have hard and fast rules about who gets a pup. I do not ask for references, however I do ask about where they go/what they do with their dogs like sports, who do they know in the doggy world and who they train with. I know enough dog people around that I can usually find out about them this way, and I do look into who they are, how they treat their dogs, and if they are kind and responsiable.

I think this is a good idea. Often people only share what they want you to know and it's nice to get an overall view from people you trust.

As breeders would you want people expressing concerns if they knew someone who was getting a pup & had doubts about their ability to manage it?

I'm kind of in this situation at the moment. Honestly it is none of my business...but it is hard to know whether to volunteer information when you haven't been asked for it...

Guest Tess32
I do not have hard and fast rules about who gets a pup. I do not ask for references, however I do ask about where they go/what they do with their dogs like sports, who do they know in the doggy world and who they train with. I know enough dog people around that I can usually find out about them this way, and I do look into who they are, how they treat their dogs, and if they are kind and responsiable.

I think this is a good idea. Often people only share what they want you to know and it's nice to get an overall view from people you trust.

As breeders would you want people expressing concerns if they knew someone who was getting a pup & had doubts about their ability to manage it?

I'm kind of in this situation at the moment. Honestly it is none of my business...but it is hard to know whether to volunteer information when you haven't been asked for it...

I think that it can be a bit unfair. There are plenty of nuts in the dog world who have ulterior motives, or lie etc, and would only be too happy to bitch about someone regardless of how accurate their info is.

I think that it can be a bit unfair. There are plenty of nuts in the dog world who have ulterior motives, or lie etc, and would only be too happy to bitch about someone regardless of how accurate their info is.

Maybe but I think it goes without saying that you would only take into account information from people you trust.

Yes there will be people with ulterior motives who may lie...but those people also exist as buyers. There are plenty of people representing themselves as something they are not. If I were breeding dogs I would want info from people I trust outside of what they (buyers) were giving me.

Edited by Vickie

if breeders tell how they assess homes pupppy farmers read and use it. Been done before :D

oooooooohh Jed so good to see you back in the threads OT I know sorry but I am sure noone will mind!!

I would do the balloons streamers and fireworks, But this old duck here doesnt know how to do them so just have to settle for

Ballons

Streamers

Fireworks woohoo!

if breeders tell how they assess homes pupppy farmers read and use it. Been done before :cheer:

oooooooohh Jed so good to see you back in the threads OT I know sorry but I am sure noone will mind!!

I would do the balloons streamers and fireworks, But this old duck here doesnt know how to do them so just have to settle for

Ballons

Streamers

Fireworks woohoo!

:laugh::cheer:

:laugh: Will these do instead of streamers? :laugh:

:laugh: (back)

Yeah, my attempt kind of sucks, but good to see Jed back. :laugh:

if breeders tell how they assess homes pupppy farmers read and use it. Been done before :laugh:

Ballons

Streamers

Fireworks woohoo!

:cheer::laugh:

:laugh: Will these do instead of streamers? :)

:cheer: (back)

Yeah, my attempt kind of sucks, but good to see Jed back. :)

Yippeeeee, from me too.

Nice to see your in put Jed. :laugh::laugh: