Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen

Shmurps

Yest I met for the first time a petite basset griffon vendeen. Great dog.

Would you recommend these as a family pet?

I am trying to put together a list of breeds for customers to research. I am trying to guide them away from pet shops.

Yest I met for the first time a petite basset griffon vendeen. Great dog.

Would you recommend these as a family pet?

I am trying to put together a list of breeds for customers to research. I am trying to guide them away from pet shops.

I have met two (same owner) while out for dinner one night, at first glance I thought it was a shih tzu cross, but then, upon closer inspection realised they were PBGVs! They seemed pretty placid and laid back...though I did read somewhere that they're pretty good escape artists. There aren't many of them around though it seems. One thing that struck me when I first saw a picture of one was that they look awfully similar to the little dog in the Beauty and the Beast cartoon!

My mum whos alsio a member here...might get her to post has just welcomed one to the family! His name is Niles and she shows him, 3 shows so far and yesterday in this 3rd show he got baby puppy in group...was very close to baby in show but he chucked a tantrum and threw himself on the ground not once but twice!

He is a LOVELY boy, very friendly laid back and a very easy going dog. Happy to be inside or outside and yes he would make a very good family pet.

Biggest downfall I have noticed is that when he barks..which isnt that often...its MUCH louder than the pugs. His mum is a lovely bitch who has done a fair bit of obediance work. He is proving to be just as smart, we were worried about the whole hound and nose to the ground buisness but havnt been much of an issue so far!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

Hey there I am the proud owner of a 16 week old Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen named Niles, he has been shown three times and in his third show won Baby Puppy in Group.

The PBGV is a very laid back happy dog, eager to please, loves being with his humans as well as other dogs, copes well inside and outside and loves to play with toys. I have only had Niles for just over 3 weeks and so far has been very easy to train, he is a natural on his show lead as well as his normal lead, comes when called, goes to his bed when told, sits for his food, sleeps in his crate without any fuss of a night time and is toilet trained. He has'nt tried to escape the yard but generally there is always someone home and he is not a barker.

The downside for someone wanting one as a pet would probably be the grooming but I am sure the breeder would only be to happy to assist the new owner. Obviously with a pet PBGV the grooming does not have to be as spot on as a show PBGV. A brush once a week with a pin brush and you can also use a Mars Coat King or something similar to strip the dead hair out of the coat, Niles coat is hand striped and I also use a grooming block, the upside is they really do not loose a lot of hair I would probably say that they are low shedding.

In summary I would definately recomend a PBGV as a family pet so long as the prospective owners have the time to walk them daily, brush them regularly and I would also recomend obedience training.

These were quite high on my list of 'dogs that might be right for Daughter to get involved in training' (in a couple of years if he is still interested when she is 12)

How would they suit a first time dog owner, training newby, and child?

I got to spend some time with a couple of babies on the weekend, spent some time lead training and was going to handle one but clashed with group 5. :) Absolutely sweet dogs but very stubborn! :)

I think that it is easier if you have experience no matter what type of puppy you get, however, if your daughter takes the PBGV or any breed of puppy to puppy pre school she will learn how to teach the puppy basic obedience by using food, she can put this into practice and then when the puppy is fully vaccinated usually 16 weeks she can join her local obedience club.

I think that the PBGV would be a great dog for a child to start obedience training as they are eager to please and very intelligent, however as stated before they do need to be brushed and their coat striped on a regular basis so that their coat does not get matted.

They are amongst my favourite breeds to watch at a dog show. I have never seen one that didn't love being in the ring, they romp around like they own it, flirt with the judges, the onlookers and have a thoroughly good time. They are absolutely adorable.

These were quite high on my list of 'dogs that might be right for Daughter to get involved in training' (in a couple of years if he is still interested when she is 12)

How would they suit a first time dog owner, training newby, and child?

They are a scent hound so I imagine that may present issues with training - I'm not sure they would be the easiest breed for a child and training newbie to tackle, but it would be worthwhile talking to some breeders to see.

I love PBGVs and am keen to own one eventually! Not sure they are quite active enough for me though.

Edited by huski

Yes, 'stubborn' and 'scent hound' are probably not desirable for a twelve year old (not this one anyway)

Yep but then again they are just adorable :D look a bit a like a long haired beagle :thumbsup:

For anyone who knows them or owns one, do you find they are more laid back/less active than a beagle?

Edited by huski