Buying First Dog!.

Hi folks,

I have put a deposit on a Amercian Staffordshire X Rhodesian Ridgeback.

Firstly it's my first dog! by that i mean, first that is directly in my care, i have a rough idea but obviously no expert.

Chosing which pup was a bit of a struggle, i wanted a male, there is only 3 available.

One is the coward of the group, one is average with with nice coat & had quite large ears, the third one (one i chose) is the BOSS of the group.

When i got there, the breeder just gave them a meal (from one bowl), this one(3rd one) trotted straight over & aggressively took over & would not let any others near the food while he was eating. I was also told that when the father barks at the gate (at postman..etc!), this one would join in & bark too!

The breeder also told me that a week or so ago, he had the gate open while talking with a visitor & all the little ones ran out to the front yard (which is fenced too) & this one stayed at the gate, growled at the ones that got out & they ran back into tha backyard!

As you can see, he certainly has attitude. he's the largest & most developed. Only downside is the patterning is not as nice as the others. It's white with broken brindle patches & spots on his back, the other males are tan with cream & white patches.

I would like do all i can to ensure my pup is the healthiest it can be & i'm seeking advice on diet, excersise, training/dicipline techniques..etc, although for now i mainly need to know: what particular products (foods) do i need to source for this type of dog at 9 weekd old, & when to give meals ?

Thanks in advance!

By the sounds of, he might have a pretty dominant character. Definitely get enrolled in some sort of puppy classes and maybe obedience eventually. It'll help with getting the message through that you're boss. Perhaps watch out for resource guarding (eg growling when you're near his food bowl...not good if he does that to you as well...) as this may lead to other aggressive behaviour.

I have put a deposit on a Amercian Staffordshire X Rhodesian Ridgeback.

I would like do all i can to ensure my pup is the healthiest it can be Thanks in advance!

If you really want your pup to be the healthiest it can be, do not buy this one. By the sounds of things, it is BYB from non health tested parents.

Look into buying a pup from a registered breeder.

your "breeder" should be providing you with a diet sheet etc.

Enrol in puppy school asap, you have picked the most dominant pup and sounds like you will need help keeping him in line. It is your job to make sure this little bloke grows up to be a good canine citizen.

This puppy sounds as if it is very dominant and IMO isn't suitable for an inexperienced first time dog owner. Not quite what you were asking and probably not what you want to hear, but I'm saying it anyway. You would be better off taking the 'average' pup.

As for food a good quality dry food such as Eagle Pack, Royal Canin or Nutro plus some chicken carcasses, lamb flaps and brisket bones will be perfectly adequate.

Edited by Miranda

By the sounds of, he might have a pretty dominant character. Definitely get enrolled in some sort of puppy classes and maybe obedience eventually. It'll help with getting the message through that you're boss. Perhaps watch out for resource guarding (eg growling when you're near his food bowl...not good if he does that to you as well...) as this may lead to other aggressive behaviour.

Good advice! will look into that

If you really want your pup to be the healthiest it can be, do not buy this one. By the sounds of things, it is BYB from non health tested parents.

Look into buying a pup from a registered breeder.

Thanks for the advice, but the descision has been made.

The owner is a friend & the parents/pups are well looked after. Not sure what BYB means

briefly....BYB = someone who breeds two dogs together without doing health checks appropriate for the breed-checking what hereditary diseases may be carried in the bloodlines, etc. who is keen to get money for the pups with very little outlay on their part - who cross breeds dogs intentionally, and who is not registered with any canine control body .

That said- and the fact that this forum does not in any way support these sorts of 'breeders' ( and you used the word BREEDER, not 'someone's got an 'oops' litter of Xbreeds) the behaviour you described is that of a puppy I would not take on.

A pup doing that sort of thing at 9 weeks could well carry on this beahaviour as he gets older and physically stronger.

I don't know a lot of the two breeds used - but would think the cross may produce some 'interesting' behaviours.

The 'breeder' should provide you with relevant dietary advice, advice on worming, a certificate from the vet re: vaccination/health check.

As said if you do accept this pup- puppy school/obedience school is a MUST - as well as plenty of at-home education/ training.

Best of luck with him, and I hope he is a top dog :)