Board And Train

jazawayaya

If you did it with a very reputable trainer it could be ok if you also had a session with the trainer so you could learn what to do but As a very pedantic control freak owner I don't think I could ever do it.

Also consider the reasons why you are doing it. I get a lot of enjoyment out of training my dogs, to me that's the point of having them in the first place. I also would find it very hard to trust someone with my dog, how would you know what methods they are using if you aren't there? For me training isn't a two week process, it is something that goes for the life of my dog.

If it is purely to train your dog to do the basics, wouldn't it be better to have a one on one session with a trainer so they can show you how to do it?

Yeah that all makes sense.

The one I am looking at includes a session to show how to continue at home.

But yeah I think getting a trainer to my home for one on one is the way to go.

If you've got a dog from the RSPCA with a few issues, I'd recommend you contact them as your starting point. Some have their own trainers.

I also think its important to differentiate between a dog that lacks manners and one with a few behavioural issues.

If behaviour is what's stopping you attending regular classes, then that's what I'd be tackling first. That's best done with you fully involved and by a professional with a track record in achieving success.

From a showdog perspective, i have loaned my dogs to handlers who had no clue how to get them to work,these are well trained dogs that any dummy should be able to deal with BUT some people dont have good handling skills no matter how well trained the dog is.

What people need to understand is a dog with the right trainer/handler can be easily trained due to a simple mutual respect for each other ,it can then go back to the other party & be a big fail as the dog is smart enough to outsmart there owners.

Good in theory & yes if the right trainer is there & above all the owners are fully aware that a trained dog doent mean it will still work for them ,often people reach this point because they either haven't done any work or they wont accept there handling skills have a big part to play in the dogs lack of manners or behaviour .

A dog in the end is only as good as it handler & that may mean still dealing with a difficult dog but knowing how to read the signs & working with it

thanks again... I have been reccomended mark singer in adelaide so as soon as I gather up the funds will give him a call.

I dont know if i would feel comfortable contacting the rspca as im sure they already have there hands full and resources stretched..

One his bahavor issues settle down will definitely look at getting him back to class obedience.