Feeding Dogs A Vegan Diet....

Dame Aussie

:laugh: Raz are you really a vegan?? What about your flaming prawns??

Yeah I am, Huski. And I dont care about whingers who want to boo hoo about feeding their dogs meat.

Feed your bloody dogs meat! They dont care about your stupid tree hugging hippy lifestyle!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:hug: Raz are you really a vegan?? What about your flaming prawns??

Yeah I am, Huski. And I dont care about whingers who want to boo hoo about feeding their dogs meat.

Feed your bloody dogs meat! They dont care about your stupid tree hugging hippy lifestyle!!!

:)

If you absolutely have to feed a pet a vegan diet then buy a rabbit or guinea pig and rehome the dog. It's unfair at best and abusive at worst to feed a vegan diet to a dog.

Agreed. Just because a dog can survive on a vegetarian diet, doesn't mean it will thrive or even do reasonably well on one. Unless there is some kind of medical problem that is preventing the dog from eating meat/animal products then why would you want to do that? Dogs are not humans, they have no desire to eat 'ethically' or 'save the environment' they need what they need and that includes meat/bones/organ meat, as an owner it's your responsibility to provide that (in the form of fresh or commercial food). Thats the reality of owning a dog.

answer = ridiculous!

:laugh:

I love hippies. I became one as an experiment to see how quickly I could rationalise feeding an ethical natural :laugh: genetically tortured soy bean to an omnivore. Obviously it's not working because I still think that given half a chance, my dogs would rip the stomach lining out of another animal in order to have an ethical natural life.

Aussie, it's good to know you dont intend to make your dogs eat rabbit food. Even dogs in Auroville eat meat while chanting Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Peace, dude.

post-1515-1276296799_thumb.jpg

Seriously the type of food your animal requires according to it's species is one of the aspects to be taken into consideration when you choose to own it.

If you do not wish to train, groom, exercise, house or feed according to the animals needs do not own it, simple.

A little OT but I often wonder how much of the whole vegan/vego thing is influenced by the cost of ethically farmed meat? I find that when a lot of animal welfare arguments come up there are the red blooded meat eaters vs the tree hugging hippies and it's as though no middle ground exists. What I would like to know is how much does cost really put people off buying free range? I know many people who love animals but don't connect that with their purchasing choices in the supermarket.

If push came to shove really there is no reason someone couldn't pay a travelling butcher to go and humanely slaughter a steer on the farm, if done well by a professional the steer is happily munching one minute and dead the next, you have fresh meat that you know has never been stressed by the travel and slaughter process and so that should really negate a lot of the ethical issues that arise from eating meat. I know that option would be out of the budget of many (most?) people but it's an area that interests me because studying animal welfare more often than not a lot of issue come down to money and how much people will pay for good welfare.

I've been a vegetarian for 11 years for ethical/health reasons and recently became vegan. After a conversation with an aquaintance, I got to wondering what peoples opinions were about feeding dogs a vegan diet?

I would never do it, but was speaking to someone who does and says if done properly it's fine.

So anyone here know anyone who has their dogs on a vegan diet? What do you think about it? Is it wrong?/stupid/possible/irresponsible?

The Xoloitzcuintle is said to have lived on vegetables years ago as the solid and only part of their diet, these days they chew on carrots and have veggies with their meals but are not total vegan.

:laugh:

A little OT but I often wonder how much of the whole vegan/vego thing is influenced by the cost of ethically farmed meat?
A lot, I'd say.

In a perfect tree hugging hippy world the dollars wouldnt be used as an excuse, but tree hugging hippies dont eat meat anyway so really, they shouldnt even be debating it.

Urmmm...I think I'll go and cook up a steak. Eating tofu is doing my head in.

The Xoloitzcuintle is said to have lived on vegetables years ago as the solid and only part of their diet,

Not by choice!

they just didnt have any meat to eat because the conquistadores kept it all for themselves. That's why the locals started eating Xolos!

Extreme diets like the vegan are bad enough for humans let alone forcing them on carnivorous pets. Maybe a pet rock exists in harmony with the universe better... since a banana shares 50% of the DNA of a human then there's plenty of guilt potential there too.

Extreme diets like the vegan are bad enough for humans let alone forcing them on carnivorous pets. Maybe a pet rock exists in harmony with the universe better... since a banana shares 50% of the DNA of a human then there's plenty of guilt potential there too.

:laugh::(:) I think I'll steal that line. Groovy, dude. :laugh:

:(:):rofl: I think I'll steal that line. Groovy, dude. :laugh:

Yeah I just had a strong coffee so I'm on a roll this morning :laugh:

If push came to shove really there is no reason someone couldn't pay a travelling butcher to go and humanely slaughter a steer on the farm, if done well by a professional the steer is happily munching one minute and dead the next, you have fresh meat that you know has never been stressed by the travel and slaughter process and so that should really negate a lot of the ethical issues that arise from eating meat. I know that option would be out of the budget of many (most?) people but it's an area that interests me because studying animal welfare more often than not a lot of issue come down to money and how much people will pay for good welfare.

Yes, we get that. Four of us get 1/4 beast each, butchered to order. It works out much cheaper than buying supermarket meat. The meat in our freezer was walking around less than two days before it got there.

As for vegans. Buy a pet rat. Or, leave some of your mung beans and lentils out on the bench, and a rat will find you. Leave dogs alone.

As for vegans. Buy a pet rat. Or, leave some of your mung beans and lentils out on the bench, and a rat will find you. Leave dogs alone.

Rats are omnivores as well so let those poor little buggers have a TVP free diet.

Rats are omnivores as well so let those poor little buggers have a TVP free diet.

Oh.

Well they can get a pet giant vegetarian cockroach and name it Crawly.

0.jpg