Obedience Clubs In Southern Tasmania

Hi everyone :laugh:

We are moving to Tassie in August, and I'm starting to look at what is around as far as training goes. We are moving to the Central Highlands area, about an hour 1/4 north of Hobart, so I think the closest dog training clubs will be Hobart Dog Training Club and Eastern Shore Dog Club.

Anyone a member of either of these clubs? What are they like? Thoughts, recommendations? Any other clubs that might be closer to the New Norfolk area?

Any help greatly appreciated by my poor stressed brain :laugh::(

Hi Allerzeit

Bring your thermals - it's cold down here at the moment - and the central highlands - BRRRRRRRR. :thumbsup:

I'm a member of both the Hobart clubs - train Rory at Eastern Shore in the morning cos I instruct and do agility at Hobart in the afternoon. Both are primarily positive reinforcement clubs, but with some flexibility. Hobart also has flyball and Rally O, and competition agility training as well as foundation.

AFAIK only the German Shepherd club trains at New Norfolk.

Look forward to seeing you down here. Feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Handy info :eek:

We might be moving to the hobart area in a couple of months time from over at Latrobe ... Be nice to join some clubs and do something active with my pooch !!

I'm with Tassie ... bring lots of warm cloths .... It's freeeeeeezing here this morning -3 !!!!

We get pretty similar overnight temperatures where we are now - we had -3 this morning too - but we will certainly be investing in some good thermals because the daytime maximums over there are definitely lower than we are used to :D Good thing we are both cold weather people :eek:

Thanks for the info Tassie, we are just starting positive reinforcement training at our club in Wangaratta as well, so we are going through a bit of a learning curve at the moment :) Do you think either of the clubs will freak out if I turn up with a check chain on my 12 month old Rotty? He's really good on a check chain (which he is shown on as well), but because of his enthusiasm and strength I really wouldn't want to be handling him on only a flat collar yet - when he's got more training under his belt, sure, but not yet.

LOL about the freezing - yep, Wang can be pretty darn cold as well.

No dramas about a check chain on a 12 month old Rotti. It's only in the puppy classes (up to 6 months) that we have a no check chain policy. You can also use food in classes.

-3 at Latrobe :rolleyes: - Hobart was a balmy 5 or so this morning early - and a beautiful day.

Heheheh yes its been nice and chilli over this way later :| ... Since moving here close to a year and a half now I don't think i've been out of long pants ;)

I was just reading in another thread that Rally-O is pretty big down here ... Do they do it over in Hobart as well do you know??

We are off to Hobart tomorrow for my partners job interview .. fingers corssed its a nice day :laugh:

*Lisa*

Yes (to Rally O) and there is a match on Sunday but can't tell you where...but I know I"m judging it! (Saturday is a judge education seminar and theyve asked me to stay and do the match the next day) I'm brining plenty of warm woolies to wear!! (and hoping it doesn't rain!)

I was just thinking ..

With Rally-O .. would you have to have done some obedience training lessons with your dog first before you could take part??

Sorry if i've taken over your thread Allerzeit .. Hope you dont mind :|

*Lisa*

Ooooh - Rally-O - I'm totally dying to get into that!! We are just starting to look at it at Wang and we are leaving, I know Enya would enjoy it so much :shrug:

I wish I knew that...I've been teaching obedience/rally in Myrtleford for months now! Everyone is having a blast I think and some of the dogs that struggle with the basic obedience exercises just SHINE when we put out the signs and do a course!

Yes (to Rally O) and there is a match on Sunday but can't tell you where...but I know I"m judging it! (Saturday is a judge education seminar and theyve asked me to stay and do the match the next day) I'm brining plenty of warm woolies to wear!! (and hoping it doesn't rain!)

Hi All!

I go to the Hobart obedience club, and I had my first try at Rally-O on the w/end with my little ShihTzu x and had heaps of fun.

I've entered for our first CCD this Sunday (we've passed 3 pre-CCD trials) - but I don't think we are quite ready for the pass. She has been perfect in her stays thus far, but has started to break, especially now that we are doing them at a greater distance :) So back to basics I guess.

Angelsun - I assume the Rally-O will probably be at the Domain (where the rest of the trials are being done), do you know what time the match is on? I think I might pull out of the CCD and do the rally-o instead! :laugh: until we can get our stays back at least!

Peta

• 3 months later...

Just an update :cry: We are all settled in Tasmania and ready and raring to go with our first day back at obedience tomorrow at Hobart Dog Training Club! :cry:

Very excited to meet some more Tassie people and get back into training! It's been over a month, and I know that Enya is just as eager to get back into it as I am - I only have to tell her that we are going to obedience training and she gets excited :worship: