Home Made Harness

Hello all :rofl: ,

A little while back when searching DOL I found a post on anti pull harnesses. I cant for the life of me remember what it is called. The reason I would like to find it again is because it had a 'homemade' harness picture in it. It was simply two leads placed aroud the dogs chest, but in a way that will assist in stopping a pulling dog. If anyone knows of this thread, or knows how to make one of these harnesses, please let me know.

Thank you!

hello lanabanana,

I posted a thread a while ago about a pulling dog i walk for a neighbour. The neighbour is older and i do not want to ask her to buy a harness as she has already invested in a check chain. Just thought this could be an easy inexpensive way to help with pulling and not have to ask an elderly lady to fork out some more money :shrug: .

Edited by Alfie02

I remember that thread,it was in a topic about harness's ad someone who had a gsd mentioned they made one up using 2 reg leads and had so many enquiries they posted pictures.They did send me pictures privately before they posted them but I don't think I kept them,will have a look

From memory one of the leads just run across the dogs chest

I've got a feeling I remember reading that in the GSD thread...there were pics too if I remember rightly :rofl:

:D That's it - I've been trying to remember where I'd seen it. Try here:-

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?show...p;#entry4562841

they must have posted those pics in a thread in training as well in the thread i'm thinking of as I don't venture into the gsd thread and I've seen them

Edited by 4 Paws

GSD's 4EVER was the clever person who posted this in the GSD forum and I was the one who was lucky enough to benefit from it.

My 11mth GSD is now a pleasure to walk and I would recomend this method to anyone having problems with a pulling dog.

I remember that, and since then I have on occasion used a single lead that way when my dogs were being a pain (like walking down the street with cafes, and they just want to sniff everyone) Just looped around their chest and held quite close to their backs - my OH cant do it with only one lead as he is too tall, but it worked for me

I couldnt believe that it actually worked, but it did

I remember that, and since then I have on occasion used a single lead that way when my dogs were being a pain (like walking down the street with cafes, and they just want to sniff everyone) Just looped around their chest and held quite close to their backs - my OH cant do it with only one lead as he is too tall, but it worked for me

I couldnt believe that it actually worked, but it did

GSD's 4EVER will be most impressed with you! So easy and so effective - use 2 x leads looped together as shown in the GSD section for taller handler or smaller dog. Works brilliantly and you have so much more control.

Hi

There is also another form of using a lead as a harness you put the ring on the collar to the top of the dogs neck wrap the lead around the dog's ribs behind the front legs, then back through the ring on the collar. this works if you have a long lead, no good with short leads. I think it was called a Patti Ruzso (sp?) handbag. This generally works well also if the dog doesn't put alot of effort into pulling backwards.

cheers

M-J

My ears are burning. :cool: A friend with Great Danes taught me that 2 lead method. I've been training Sheppies for years & have a good few fail proof things in my "kit of bits" for training. When Tara came along, nothing & I mean NOTHING worked with that girl of mine. She's the strongest dog I have ever owned. An instructor & experienced GSD trainer & owner had hold of her one day at school to demo a task. He's a tall bloke. Over 6 foot in the old scale, with a bit of weight & strength behind him. We were chatting, Tara saw something she was interested in and before he could gather himself, she'd pulled him over & had dragged him a good 30 feet across the ground. I then learned this 2 lead method & never looked back. Tara's so used to the lead flopping on her chest now, I only need the one lead now, so I can quickly flop her leather lead into the chest position when I need to. I've shared my experience with a few people who have all reported great success in a very short timeframe. Give it a go if your dog is a lunger/puller & you'd like your left arm to remain the same length as your right one. :eek:

Very true. :laugh: I'm just back from dog club this minute. I also use this "lead over the chest" method to get Tara moving with me again if the class has been standing around for too long while the instructor yaps on or focusses on a particular dog & handler. It's so much better & more effective than dragging her after me to try & motivate her to start heeling in the right postion. After only a few strides like this, I can drop the lead to the correct position & we're heeling like a "team" again. Tara & I must have looked good today, because the instructor is a hard core Ob trialler & bloody tough. We've been in grade 3 for 3 whole years & today we got passed into grade 4. :rofl: This method works. I hope more people try it & have success.