Neighbour Problem

Earthdog

Two dogs who are both friendly, social and generally quiet. The back neighbour likes to stir them up and then complain about the barking. He does such thing as repeatedly bang against the fence, yell at them, hose them and then whinge if they bark. He has complained to council and the ACO visited. I suggested taking photos of him and his shenanigans.

Anybody have other ideas?

Edited by Earthdog

As much as it would be justified, poisoning the neighbour probably isn't a workable solution . . .

I second the idea of photos/video recording, but also writing down account of incidents as they happen (i.e. a diary) so that there's documentation about the neighbour's activity. If the bad behaviour tends to happen at certain times, perhaps having someone around to witness it (another neighbour perhaps).

Has anyone spoken to the neighbour about his behaviour? Is this feasible? Keep records of that too, and take someone along to observe.

Hope things improve.

I know others may not agree with me here but we had a new owner complain about our dogs so I straight away talked to the council dog control officers about it asking for their help to resolve the situation. They could tell I was a responsible dog owner who was wanting to resolve what was a temporary problem. They are not stupid - they can tell the real complaints that need action from the ones which owners want to fix. And part of our problem was the new neighbour was hanging over our fence trimming trees and yelling at the dogs to stop barking. Once the trimming was over and they were no longer invading our space no more barking. The new owner had dog issues which I was able to also explain civilly to the council guy - the new neighbour put a note in my letterbox on about day 2 of living there saying I should get a puppy I had one of those collars that shock them when they bark. Obviously not a dog lover.

I used to be a complaints officer with child safety and my advice is to not get into taking photos or video or audio tape his behaviour (it escalates things and makes you look like the nutter) but DO document anything you are aware of - dates and non emotive statements of what you witnessed. You also have a right to contact the council and share your concerns about the safety of your dogs from his behaviour with them.

Remember dogs do bark from time to time and that is perfectly ok and doesn't make them a 'problem'. And also this person might have 'problems' of their own which are already known to council and police. if you get the sense they are then I'd also avoid direct contact/confrontation with them.

OK, you have your answer so perhaps talk to council about your concerns re your dogs and seek their advice so it can be managed. You don't want your angels affected. He will probably move on fairly quickly - people who create trouble don't tend to stay in one place too long.

He owns his house and has been there a long time. The ACO was told of the problem with him when they visited. He saw that they settled after a warning bark when he knocked at the door and was let in.

Well that's good news then - about the ACO visit I mean. Sorry he's a long term neighbour though. Would it be worth doing some heavy planting of vines or shrubs along that side of the fence to block the neighbours view and hose? Is your fence at maximum height? Is it timber on that side? I know you shouldn't have to worry about these things but sometimes it is necessary. And did the ACO give you any feedback or advice on how to manage if it continues?

Just wanted to say I sympathise, I also have horrible intolerant dog hating neighbours. I think the Ranger must have gotten sick of thier complaints as he hasnt been around to see me in over a year now. My neighbours complained my dogs barked 'all night', yet my dogs sleep inside every night. They complained if they barked at all. They told the Ranger they didnt want to hear even one 'woof' in 24hrs. They used to bang on the fence to stir the dogs up and then yell at them when they barked. Things got nasty between myself and them for a while, they threatened to 'get rid of' my dogs and things got ugly. Police were called ete etc. I tried to get an AVO but couldnt as they had only threatened my 'property' not me ...soo i told the police if they harmed my dogs i would burn their house down, after all that was just 'property'. That was when Police finally took me seriously, and they ended up having a chat with the evil neighbours and things settled down somewhat.

They still hate my dogs, and its like a silent war now. They sometimes throw rocks over the fence at my dogs. But ive stated VERY loudly that the next rock i find in my yard i will be throwing back at their house, and i havent had a rock in about 2 weeks.

Im paranoid every time my dogs make a sound, but i refuse to let these parasites drive me out of my home. I am a responsible dog owner and my dogs do not bark excessively.

The biggest frustration for me was the lack of assistance from the police. It wasnt until I started making counter threats that they finally took action.

Good luck with your horrid neighbours :shrug:

Are they your dogs?

If not tell the owner you will act as a witness to this person's behaviour regarding the dogs.

Maybe write to the council stating that the dogs don't cause a nuisance until the neighbour stirs them up