Dog Chewing New Warm Coat

sallyandtex

Anti-chew spray from Pet Stores. There's a few different varieties around. Success rate depends on how quickly you get onto the problem. Many wait until it has gone beyond the first little lick/nibble that indicates too much interest, and they won't work as well, if at all.

I'm wondering though, how does your dog manage to get to the neck part of the coat to chew it?

Anti-chew spray from Pet Stores. There's a few different varieties around. Success rate depends on how quickly you get onto the problem. Many wait until it has gone beyond the first little lick/nibble that indicates too much interest, and they won't work as well, if at all.

I'm wondering though, how does your dog manage to get to the neck part of the coat to chew it?

It is velcroed around the tummy and also across the chest. She loves to find little bits like labels on toys and work on them.

Might be too late for the spray :laugh: I thought someone suggested Vick's rub somewhere on here, is that right?

Do it up so it fits snuggly and then sew the front of it shut in position. I've found that or a higher neck line works well for chewers.

Thanks, Good idea.

At 8 months, I am hoping she grows out of it one day!

She even chewed the side of the house one day, even tho she had toys!

Might be too late for the spray :laugh: I thought someone suggested Vick's rub somewhere on here, is that right?

I don't like the idea of something so aversely vaporous being on clothing or bedding of dogs. Your dog will have no way of getting away from it, even if she isn't doing anything wrong.

The other thing I've heard owners say is that they will chew the harsher fabrics like the ripstop and anything that makes a noise. I've made coats for those owners with a sewn front and tight velco for the belly and they have kept them on and not destroyed them. Double fleece and cord usually doesn't get consumed.

The pups coat might be making a noise and the velcro is fun to play with. Many will grow out of it. :laugh:

At 8 months, I am hoping she grows out of it one day!

Not necessarily, if she's allowed to develop the habit in the first place.

Sometimes coats need to be introduced to dogs. I didn't have my boy wear one until this winter. Last winter he was too young to be able to stop figitting with it, so I just put it on now and again, whilst I was around to supervise, and for very short periods of time. This season he's worn it whilst in Mum and Dad's yard when we've visited, and I just kept a watch through the windows when I wasn't outside with him. He coped with it much better, in fact, I'd go so far as to say very well - he paid it no mind at all and I think was smart enough to appreciate the warmth it provided. I used his maturity to my advantage.

LOL .... when he was a pup he had some PJ's, but he used to grab the back leg/sleeve and tug on it, succeeding only to pull himself over. Gosh, those days feel like an age ago, yet simultaneously like only yesterday. Hard to believe we're now 2 years on.

Edited by Erny

Does she sleep outside in the cold? I think she is a bit young to have a coat on unsupervised .....

Make sure she has a cosy spot to sleep in .. well away from drafts .. and don't forget, it doesn't matter how high/thick, spongy the mattress is- the cold seeps in around the sides!!

Where does she sleep? if she is indoors- and has a crate/bed with sides/large box .. she should not need a coat,IMO :) She is young and well cared for now :)

Putting something which is strongly smelling like VICKS near a dog's head/nose is something I would never do . Their sense of smell is SO much more acute than ours.... imagine not being able to escape that stinging vicks in your eyes/nose :laugh:

Does she sleep outside in the cold? I think she is a bit young to have a coat on unsupervised .....

Make sure she has a cosy spot to sleep in .. well away from drafts .. and don't forget, it doesn't matter how high/thick, spongy the mattress is- the cold seeps in around the sides!!

Where does she sleep? if she is indoors- and has a crate/bed with sides/large box .. she should not need a coat,IMO :( She is young and well cared for now :cry:

Putting something which is strongly smelling like VICKS near a dog's head/nose is something I would never do . Their sense of smell is SO much more acute than ours.... imagine not being able to escape that stinging vicks in your eyes/nose :laugh:

Point taken.

I will heed the advice given here. No Vicks!

Better attached front piece to jacket.

Sleeps in a room attached to the house (cooler, cement slab), and even tho her bed is raised and has warm sides, doesn't keep the blanket on. I am really amazed the blanket hasn't been chewed! Its cotton, whereas the coat is polar fleece type (weatherbeta), like her sheepskin toys!

She seems to really like her coat, and we also put it on when she's travelling in the ute. I think its more of a boredom thing at night, I need to get onto her early in the am before it is chewed!

Thanks for the tips everyone

I just chucked on some old coats on my greyhound last year, ones his mother chewed up a bit :laugh: he was really good considering he was under 6 months of age when I started coating him. Buy some cheap ones and just stitch them up, also put a neck on them, a sleeve from an old windcheater often works well, you can hand sew it onto the neck. I watched Fern when she did a bit of chewing and she could arch her neck pretty good and just catch the edge of the neck, with the extra long neck didn't matter how hard she tried she couldn't get a grip :rofl: Get polar fleece ones, the usually fit better, IMO, then the weatherbeeta types that I have seen.