Quiet Small Dog

jazawayaya

I have a boarding kennel so I get used to knowing which dogs I have to watch as far as barking as well as many other issues.

One smaller breed that never seems to be a problem - the little corgi - had quite a few stay with me over the years and they always seem to be quiet dogs who relax into the system and get on very well with other dogs.

Seems they have a bad name because of being at the Queens castle, but i love having them stay.

We just moved and have 2 corgis behind us and they bark at our dogs NON STOP. I wish we had the same experience as you :love:

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While breeds have tendencies towards certain traits, things like barking are really individual.

Lowchen in general are a noisy breed. They have a high "watchdog" factor, and will protect the house from the mailman, meter reader, people walking past and birds in trees. They also are noisy players...

BUT I have the quietest Lowchen ever. People can come to the house and not realise a dog is there. He sits quietly wagging his tail when I walk in the door and waits for his greeting. I didn't train him to do it, it's just how he is. I love it! Pity it's not more widespread as his daughter is a bit of a "mouth" (thanks to a very noisy mum).

It's something to consider when choosing the next dog.

Wish I had your luck with toilet training, CBL.. :love: . Boomer is pretty good now.. although he still wont ask to go out.. if the door isn't open he'll just find a quiet corner and go :laugh: . We'll have to keep trying!

dogmad wrote a great piece on toilet training. Its on the iggy rescue website :D

Oscar now taps the door when he wants to go out :eat: He just learned that by himself.

Cant help but think we're doing something wrong.. I've toilet trained literally dozens of dogs and have never had one so stubborn about it Lol! I will definitely have a look at that article, thanks forl etting me know :D.

Wish I had your luck with toilet training, CBL.. :laugh: . Boomer is pretty good now.. although he still wont ask to go out.. if the door isn't open he'll just find a quiet corner and go :D . We'll have to keep trying!

dogmad wrote a great piece on toilet training. Its on the iggy rescue website :eat:

Oscar now taps the door when he wants to go out :D He just learned that by himself.

Cant help but think we're doing something wrong.. I've toilet trained literally dozens of dogs and have never had one so stubborn about it Lol! I will definitely have a look at that article, thanks forl etting me know ;) .

They can be difficult so don't worry - just have a read of dogmad's article and take it from there. They can be really stubborn buggers :love:

Mita, I'm sure Lily and Miki are related! Their temperament and behaviour is so similiar. I think we may have one of the noisier tibbies as I thought they were a relatively quiet breed too. I thought we had outsmarted him when I blocked off his vision to the street but he has worked out that if he goes to the top part of our yard (which is on a slope) and perch on the retaining wall, he will have an uninterrupted view of the street. As frustrated as I am at times with the barking, I know he is doing exactly what his breed is bred for. He just doesn't understand that he is living in suburbia not in a monastery in Tibet!

I have 3 Border Terriers. My male is noisy and always has been. He also has a horrible, high pitched bark.

My adult bitch is quiet, she barks when she has too but that's it. She has a low bark and a deep growl. Her 5 month old daughter is so far proving to be the same- she has just learnt to growl over the past week or two and it's low like Zivas :love:

So I agree that you can have different levels in the same breed, even same lines.