Dolers With Brachycephalic Breeds Of Dogs

Moselle

Interesting about the 'nylon' bone claim. I have never had this issue. I only buy Nylabones though, not copies so maybe there is a difference in the quality.

To be honest, the diet I feed my Pugs works for them and it works for me and I dare anyone to find a health issue, related to poor diet, in any of my Pugs.

Moselle, you are understandably cautious about choking issues. As I said, you should feed what you feel is best for you and your dogs, without any guilt, and certainly take all comments on board to get a good rounded balanced view.

My brachy breeds get chicken necks. Never had a choking problem.

Only dog I had who almost choked was a Keeshond who stole a giant piece of cooked liver and swallowed it whole. He squarked the house down as it went down! LOL

I would suggest it was just one of those things, and not a specific problem with brachy breeds. If I have a dog in show coat, they only get small pieces of chicken neck, otherwise they eat their hair off too.

Zoe, my pug, also likes to 'inhale' food. She was being fed a small size dry food, but I found she never chewed it. I have now got her on the slightly larger size biscuits and she has to chew these to eat, and she doesn't seem to suck them in like she did the other food.

I haven't given her any bones yet, but she does love to chew her kong, and nyla bone.

BF

I feed my BB's semi lean beef & kibble twice a day.

I gave them lamb off cuts which didn't go down a treat first time they had them they ended up vomitting them straight back up,

every now & then they might get lamb shanks or lamb necks but only as a treat.

Im sorry to hear about Conrad :laugh:

My two pugs have raw chicken wings and necks as well as meaty bones. They eat a barf mixture and get sardines and yoghurt twice weekly and assortment of offal. I used to cut up the chicken necks but I dont anymore. I will give them something to eat first, like their sardines and then the chicken neck so they dont scoff it and it works for us. I dont feed any dry. I have one pug prone to really putting on weight so I eliminated that from their diet a long time ago. I always supervise with chicken necks and wings because I do worry and regardless of breed, the worst can, as you know, happen.

I can understand your reluctance to feed things like bones, but they are so good for their teeth among other things, you would end up with problems I am sure down the track with his teeth.

I feed my frenchie chicken necks regularly, tho I do cut them up and smash them with a meat tenderiser. He also gets lamb offcuts. He is quite a dainty eater, not a gulper, I think that is more of a danger than the breed of dog.