Should They Report?

MsKatie

On the way home tonight I saw a staffy looking dog (skinny looking) going after a lady with 2 swfs - initially i thought the guy trying to pull the big dog off was the owner. i pulled over and went to help the lady with the swfs - she had one in her arms and the big dog was still going for its legs so i picked up the other swf and the guy managed to get the big dog away. After walking down the street a few houses i found out that the guy that was trying to get the big dog away wasn't the big dogs owner but was the partner of the lady with the swfs. There was noone else trying to help them before i did. He came up and the owners of the big dog drove up - big dog in back of car so they obviously had managed to finally get it- and pulled over to see if the swfs were ok - meanwhile the dog was trying to get over the back seat and out the front window at the swfs - so they drove off round the block to the house where it had all happened and the swf's owners took their dogs home and i continued on my way home - I suggested they report it because of the continued aggressiveness of the big dog but the swfs seemed to be ok so was jusy wondering what others thought.

DOL has definitely had an affect on me - i couldn't just drive past this poor lady after reading all of the accounts of dog attacks on here.

Its great that you stopped to help KHM it sounds like they needed some help.

I wonder how the dog got out. The owners were obviously looking for it. I can't give advice on this one without knowing the whole story, but I am so glad you were there to help. It could have been a tragedy otherwise.

I wonder how the dog got out. The owners were obviously looking for it

I wondered that too - the house that it was at was just next to where tha attack happened so maybe it slipped a leash or got out through an open door :laugh: Poor lady with the swfs was pretty shaken up. Hopefully the owners of the big dog will keep an eye on it because it is obviously DA :laugh:

I've had a complete stranger stop and help when one of mine was being harassed by a loose dog while we were while out walking - I really appreciated the kindness, so good on you.

On the way home tonight I saw a staffy looking dog (skinny looking) going after a lady with 2 swfs - initially i thought the guy trying to pull the big dog off was the owner. i pulled over and went to help the lady with the swfs - she had one in her arms and the big dog was still going for its legs so i picked up the other swf and the guy managed to get the big dog away. After walking down the street a few houses i found out that the guy that was trying to get the big dog away wasn't the big dogs owner but was the partner of the lady with the swfs. There was noone else trying to help them before i did. He came up and the owners of the big dog drove up - big dog in back of car so they obviously had managed to finally get it- and pulled over to see if the swfs were ok - meanwhile the dog was trying to get over the back seat and out the front window at the swfs - so they drove off round the block to the house where it had all happened and the swf's owners took their dogs home and i continued on my way home - I suggested they report it because of the continued aggressiveness of the big dog but the swfs seemed to be ok so was jusy wondering what others thought.

DOL has definitely had an affect on me - i couldn't just drive past this poor lady after reading all of the accounts of dog attacks on here.

Suggest what you think to the owner of the SWFs , its a hrad one, at least the owner of the attacking dog was out looking for it ( accidents happen) they obviously are thoughtful people in asking if the SWFs were ok ( They didnt hace to). maybe its a lesson they have learned maybe not.

I personally would leave it up to the owners, some people dont want to get involved etc ( and really without knowing all the circumstances its a hard decision to make. Great work in helping the lady and the dogs.

Without you kbnowing all the facts there is little the Rangers can do anyhow, they need factual evidence to persue, maybe chat to the owners again ?? and encourage them ?

Edited by Wazzat Xolo

The dog broke quite a few of the SA dog and cat management rules.

But it would be nice to know if the owners had done their best to prevent that and something bad had happened, like the gas meter man (who today - ignored the beware dog sign and waltzed straight into my back yard, fortunately dog was in house and back door was shut or she'd have barked him to death). Gas meter man could have let the dog out. Teenage kid who should be shot - could have let the dog out. (If teenage kids really got shot every time they did something stupid, none would make adulthood).

So I'd want to know more before I reported, especially given the SWF were ok. I know some dogs that are into stand over and growl but never actually hurt another dog. Scary but harmless.

It depends how easy it is to go back and find out the owner's story. And whether you believe them or not. Ie does the dog come out tomorrow when you walk evil kelpie past the house - in which case owners don't actually care and deserve to be reported.

http://www.dogsncats.asn.au/site/page.cfm?u=825

If it had been my evil kelpie on the receiving end of this dog I would have definitely have reported it and did suggest this to the owners of the swf - but because big dog was just outside of own house and owners did pick it up and i think the swfs were uninjured i thought the swf owners seemed reluctant

I might drop an email into the council with an account of what happened - then at least i will feel better - because I do think this dog was aggressive enough to be a problem.

ETA - have reported it to council with the information I have

Edited by KelpieHoundMum