Does Any One Take In Long Term Boarding?

voloclydes

does anyone take in long term boarder for a weekly fee?

how do you do it?

what do you charge?

how long do they stay?

I took on a neighbour's dog for 6 weeks whilst they went overseas. They left all of his BARF in their freezer which I could access when necessary. They gave me their microchip details, vet name (same as the one I use) blank signed cheque in case of vet emergency. They gave me $100 for caring for the dog (I really did not want paying). He moved in with me and mine and we all had a great time.

Nearly forgot, I also had numbers to contact them around Europe. I asked if they wanted to be informed should their dog be killed/die. They did not want to be informed until they returned (thank goodness that was not necessary!)

does anyone take in long term boarder for a weekly fee?

how do you do it?

what do you charge?

how long do they stay?

I do. I only have a couple of weeks off between long term boarders and sometimes they even overlap.

I take on the dogs that owners do not want to place in a typical boarding kennel, for various reasons. Boarders have been here anywhere from a couple of weeks to 6 months.

What I charge depends on the dog and what the owners wants. If the dogs are just living in the house and are exercised with the others I charge less. It costs more where I'm expected to do additional things like training ( outside of keeping up a normal routine ) chiro visits, etc. I'm porbably about half the rate of a standard boarding kennel.

I've got one now, one coming in a weeks time for a couple of weeks and two in August for 5 or 6 weeks.

I was just having a clean up today and found a brochure for www.findadogminder.com.au which is dog minding in a family home. I've never used it though so am just providing the details and not a reference for them. And the brochure I have says "enter the promo code vip2010 and get 20% off membership", so you may as well use that as I think I got the brochure at some doggy event here in Brisbane.

Oh but the members in the staffy thread rave about Camp Warley! (see SBT123's post)

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

i don't think i would want to do normal boarding but a mate sugested it to me.

she has a neighbour who is doing it... owner pays food and per week.

thought it might be a nice job....that would mean i could be home in the arvos to collect child., while doing a small part time job in town. we are far out of town area... so nice country atmosphere no loons to let dogs out etc..

4 doggies might pay the bills and keep the provable wolf from the door.

SBT123 do you go through an agency to find boarders or is it just a word of mouth. This something i have been thinking about doing but dont know where to start

Lynda

I only look after friends dogs , dogs that I've bred or have a close association with their breeder. I'm very particular about the dogs that come here, as they live in the house and run with my pack.

I certainly wouldn't be opening up my home to any old dog

I have pet sat long term, one lot of dogs for 6 months, the animals all cope well and i have only had 2 dogs who i recommended to use a kennel next time - they tried to get out and one barked all night and ended up sleeping in my spare room each night!

The dogs stayed in their own homes, and I go over and visit them.

it's all right the OH said even basic wire runs would cost in excess of $50k.....he also says 160km from canberra is the arse end of the world. hes simply not interested.

so i would guess it aint gunna happen as he thinks "it a whole waste of time"....

so thanks guys...

it's all right the OH said even basic wire runs would cost in excess of $50k.....

If at home I would really only board 2 or so dogs at a time, otherwise you will need to apply to set up a business which you probably won't get approval for. That's why I send my dogs to SBT123 who is around 5hrs? away rather one of the 7 or so kennels just minutes down the road. I know she only has 1-4 at a time so they get lots of attention and I know they, more importantly to me, sleep inside at night. They also get real exercise and a good diet.

If you are going to do it, you need to offer more than what a kennel offers :laugh: