Canon 18-200 Lens

Frodo's mum

Hi guy's

I have been thinking about getting an 18-200 lens...does anyone have one ?

I mainly ( well only LOL) take photo's of my dogs and mainly zoom in action one's

how do you think this lens would be ??

thanking you in advance

Hi FM! I got this lens with my 7D that I got last weekend - so whilst I'm only using the camera on 'auto' at the moment the lens does everything I need to to do and the guy at the shop said it would ge a 'great all rounder' for taking dog photos (as I said that's what I'd be doing and he laughed because most people buy new cameras when they have kids not dogs! ;) )

thanks guys and thanks for the link kirislin

I found one on the net $755 so went down to our camera shop to price theirs $1030...so will print off the other one to show them..amazing the difference in price when you look about ;) .......so wil check a for more sites out for prices :D

thanks I would have to do a bank transfer as I don't have paypal or credit card ;)

thanks again for all your help ..much appreciated :)

I love taking photo's of the kids so thought I might try for a better lens...and hopefully get some better photo's :D

yours are gorgeous pickies

I get the impression it's not a popular lens simply because there's not alot of photos on POTN. That's not to say it's not a good lens though, you have to do your own research on it.

I dont have a credit card so I did a bank transfer through them.

any suggestions would be great.....it has to have a good zoom as most of mine are of the dogs running like idiots and playing

someone mentioned that lens....I'm a complete novice when it comes to anything like this...i just love the take photo's of my dogs and get so inspired by the photo thread ...not that I will ever get as good as some of those .... but I can dream :D

This is a tricky one. As superzooms go, it's a goodie. And 18-200 is a nice range.

What you will get

- excellent range from pretty wide scenes to being able to capture things a reasonable distance away & reasonable close-ups

- one lens for walkaround - you're ready to go, wherever, whenever without a ton of gear

- IS

- good images (obviously user dependent, but the lenses are capable)

- a feel for what focal length you use most so you can figure out your next purchase if you decide to add more lenses

- a feel for what look you like in your images and if this lens provides that or if you see what you would like to add to your arsenal as your skills, interest and needs change over time & experience

What you will not get

- great bokeh...this is the bit that is out of focus in a frame that makes the main subject point pop and makes the backgrounds kind of disappear so they aren't distracting

- great low light performance...its aperture isn't wide enough BUT it has IS so you should be able to use a reasonably slow shutter speed and still hand-hold

- true macro

All in all, I actually really like the 18-200 superzooms. Had a Sigma version that was a cracker (recently sold it to another DOLer). No, they aren't perfect and they won't do it all like a swish prime will do, but for what they are built for, they do a very fine job and you should love the versatility.

I think something on your radar should be the Canon 50 1.8 - it's cheap as chips and a great way to start in with low light shooting and isolating your subject with wide open apertures.

Edited by kja