Possible Reaction To C5 Vac?

My puppy had his last C5 vaccine 1 week ago. I noticed while bathing him tonight that he has a big hard lump, maybe the size of a 10 cent piece, around the injection site. He has a thick long wavy coat, so not sure exactly where the needle went in, but I was there when they did it and it was around that area.

Do you think this could be a slight reaction to the needle? I'm not sure if I should take him to the vet tomorrow or to see what happens with it over a few days. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Sorry forgot to add, it causes him no discomfort. Just a flat hard mass the size of a 10 cent piece just under the skin, above his shoulder. ?????????????

Edited by meluchja

It could certainly be a local reaction to the vaccination. They do usually take about a week to appear, then another 1-2 weeks to resolve.

If you have any concerns, just let your vet know and they should be able to confirm the injection site and note it down in your dogs record.

few thank you. I thought so, but just thought I would ask to make sure. I think I will take him for a walk tomorrow to the vet to get them to confirm and note it down on his records, thanks again.

Sounds like a reaction that both my dogs have had to vaccinations in the past. I just held a heat pack on for thirty seconds and then a cold pack, do this five or so times in a row and do this a couple of times a day. Settled my dogs reaction down in a few days.

I get that kind of reaction to tetanus vax. Depends a bit on the skill of the needle worker. The most recent tetanus vax did not hurt as much for as long. It's like a bee sting or a bruise. Hopefully it will go away but if it doesn't or it gets worse or bothers the dog, go back for a check up.

My vet did mention a couple of weeks ago that they'd had several dogs reacting (with lumps) to a particular batch of vaccine.

I took him back to the vet today, regarding something else, but mentioned this, and he said it can be a common side effect, and nothing to worry about. It still worried me though :love:

I wonder if it could have been the batch?????? It doesn't hurt him, which is the main thing, I'm definitely keeping an eye on it over the next couple of weeks, to make sure it doesn't get bigger, or start to hurt him.

They can get these lumps from any injection, not just vaccines. Probably more commonly seen with vaccines because in terms of injections, are the most frequently given. My boy has had two injection site lumps - one from antibiotics and the other from an antihistamine injection.

They can get these lumps from any injection, not just vaccines. Probably more commonly seen with vaccines because in terms of injections, are the most frequently given. My boy has had two injection site lumps - one from antibiotics and the other from an antihistamine injection

*nods in agreement* :love:.

They can get these lumps from any injection, not just vaccines. Probably more commonly seen with vaccines because in terms of injections, are the most frequently given. My boy has had two injection site lumps - one from antibiotics and the other from an antihistamine injection.

Does that mean they don't go away??????

No no, they do go away. It's like a trauma lump. Orbit's last one was really cool - it started off large and flat, but completely changed as it all organised itself and got smaller but taller. Then it just slowly went down. Can take a few weeks but they eventually go away.

His first one took aggges - weeks. After about 3 weeks I started to get nervous so sent some cells off to the lab just to be sure. But still just trauma!

fewww :)

No no, they do go away. It's like a trauma lump. Orbit's last one was really cool - it started off large and flat, but completely changed as it all organised itself and got smaller but taller. Then it just slowly went down. Can take a few weeks but they eventually go away.

His first one took aggges - weeks. After about 3 weeks I started to get nervous so sent some cells off to the lab just to be sure. But still just trauma!