Omega 3 Supplement

I'm curios to know from those who give their dog an omega 3 supplement for itchy skin, which do you use?

Would it be safe to use a human suppliment from the chemist?

Edited by meluchja

I find Linseed oil/Flax seed oil (same thing) is excellent.

I buy mine from Woolworth's in the health food section.

Is that one made for humans or especially for dogs? Is it a pill or a liquid you add to their food? Does your dog like the taste?

I have a omega 3,6,9 oil that you add to their food, but if I even add a single drop to my dogs food, he won't touch it, little bugger.

I have been reading that some people dogs will just take an omega 3 pill like it is a treat.

I use fish oil capsules and evening primrose capsules, I use the human versions, I buy from woolies they are often on special.

So how much to you give? Did the Derm. give you your dose?

I read it is 1000mg of fish oil per 10kg of dog weight. What about the EPO? Same dosage? I'm going to ask the derm. about them when we get in, but just as usual I can't help but to do my own research before hand.

I use fish oil capsules and evening primrose capsules, I use the human versions, I buy from woolies they are often on special.

I read it is 1000mg of fish oil per 10kg of dog weight. What about the EPO? Same dosage? I'm going to ask the derm. about them when we get in, but just as usual I can't help but to do my own research before hand.

Not sure on the dosage rate of either, my boy only weighs 34Kg and he gets 5 of each per day, I could be wrong but I think the dosage for the EPO may be at a higher rate ie more capsules per body weight but 5 per day is what we are on at the moment.

Not sure on the dosage rate of either, my boy only weighs 34Kg and he gets 5 of each per day, I could be wrong but I think the dosage for the EPO may be at a higher rate ie more capsules per body weight but 5 per day is what we are on at the moment.

I found a combination of Evening primrose oil, linseed oil and fish oil capsule. I gave him one to see if he liked it, and he scoffed it down :D So think I will start on 2 day and see how he goes and cut it back to one after a month or so.

Thanks for you info everyone

I found a combination of Evening primrose oil, linseed oil and fish oil capsule. I gave him one to see if he liked it, and he scoffed it down :D So think I will start on 2 day and see how he goes and cut it back to one after a month or so.

Thanks for you info everyone

Good on you.

The Linseed I use is oil. Never measured the dose ever. I just tip it on. Maybe glug for the Italian Greyhounds and glug, glug for the Whippets. :):)

What are the benefits of adding this to a daily feed?

My puppy who is now 17 weeks old, has really dry, itchy and flakey skin. The Omega 3,6,9 blend is beneficial for relief of such skin conditions. It can also help for arthritis pain in dogs, however I haven't read into this, so can't comment on it for that reason.

I use the Ranvet Sprint Oil which a blend of Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids in the correct ratio. The blurb says it has been specifically formulated for high performance greyhounds and although it doesn't make my Bullmastiffs run much faster, it does make them shine! :party:

You can buy it in a 1 litre or 5 litre container which is good for multiple large dogs. I just splash a big gluggy gloop for each dog in the weekly batch of raw food that is make up and frozen. I also make sure I include Vitamin E with each feed as well.

JR

I use Melrose Omega Pet Omega Oil, I buy from my local healthfood shop

Same here. I've tried flaxseed oil, fish oil and vitamin E but have found the Melrose Omega Pet to be the best as it's balanced :rofl:

Same here. I've tried flaxseed oil, fish oil and vitamin E but have found the Melrose Omega Pet to be the best as it's balanced :thumbsup:

I saw this one, is it in a liquid form in a white carton?? I almost bought it, I think I might try it next, as my boy seems to have trouble eating the capsules, and it's a pain to prick them and squeeze them into his food.

Same here. I've tried flaxseed oil, fish oil and vitamin E but have found the Melrose Omega Pet to be the best as it's balanced :scold:

I saw this one, is it in a liquid form in a white carton?? I almost bought it, I think I might try it next, as my boy seems to have trouble eating the capsules, and it's a pain to prick them and squeeze them into his food.

The one I buy is in a black bottle in the refridgerated section of the healthfood store. If you're having trouble pricking the capsules try a 'splinter picker' thingie from the chemist. Really easy to prick a little hole in with one of those and squeeze the oil out into the dogs food :rofl:

Don't try to do it with a knife or a needle though ...been there, done that, not pretty :whip::confused:

Same here. I've tried flaxseed oil, fish oil and vitamin E but have found the Melrose Omega Pet to be the best as it's balanced :(

The one I buy is in a black bottle in the refridgerated section of the healthfood store. If you're having trouble pricking the capsules try a 'splinter picker' thingie from the chemist. Really easy to prick a little hole in with one of those and squeeze the oil out into the dogs food :)

Don't try to do it with a knife or a needle though ...been there, done that, not pretty :laugh: :D

Yep that sounds like it, think I may make the switch once these 200 capsules are gone :( Will give the splinter things a try. Thanks for the tip. :cry: