Dried Chicken Necks, Beef, Roo Bones

I am looking at my favourite Pet Treat website and ordering my normal dried roo flaps and tendons.

I have seen they have roo tails, sheep backs, turkey and chicken necks.

I would have thought feeding bone like that wasn't good, but maybe I am wrong.

So have you used them what do you think of them, the good and the bad.

Two of my dogs can have raw bones no problems, but one can't, so that is why I am looking at them.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

I am looking at my favourite Pet Treat website and ordering my normal dried roo flaps and tendons.

I have seen they have roo tails, sheep backs, turkey and chicken necks.

I would have thought feeding bone like that wasn't good, but maybe I am wrong.

So have you used them what do you think of them, the good and the bad.

Two of my dogs can have raw bones no problems, but one can't, so that is why I am looking at them.

I buy my dog the dried roo tails now and then, I get the really huge ones so that he cant really eat that much of the dried bone as its too thick he mainly just eats the meat off unless I get him a smaller one. I have not had a problem with them, when he was younger he battled with raw bones but now as an adult he has no issues, I fed the dried roo when he couldnt stomach the raw bone and he never vomited once.

Thanks for that.

I just battle with the thought as to me they are cooked bones.

If I can get very lean beef ribs he does okay on them, but has ended up very sick after turkey necks, chicken frames and lamb flaps and gets very loose poos and vomiting if he eats raw chicken or beef. He can eat the meat cooked just fine.

I keep on the look out for beef bones, but at the moment my freezer had stopped working( I had to chuck out 5 kgs of perfectly fine bones!!!) so until I have a freezer up and running I was thinking if these are okay they may get me through.

I haven't noticed that with the roo flaps, but having said that, they have to be in their dog runs to eat them or Rommi thinks the bone stealing aliens are coming to get hers and won't settle to eat it, and Brutus the ancient Stafford takes Lewis's! They have automatic waterers in their dog runs so may drink more just after they have finished them. They don't seem to drink more when they are out and about later on though????

I am more worried about the bones being hard and brittle( maybe damaging teeth?), or them being able to break them into large chunks that cause an obstruction.

From my understanding not all dried bones are cooked. (If I can remember where I read that I'll post the link). Smoked bones are definitely cooked and would likely be brittle but dried bones tend to be more crumbly :cry:

I have given mine dried roo tails before and find that he just picks all the meat out and only eats a little bone (before I chuck it out). I've given the leg bones too which are okay but throw them out once he has chewed off the knuckles.

I only give them very rarely though. Mainly as we simply we don't need them (I feed raw bones every morning), secondly they STINK! and thirdly I do worry that dried bone might not be as digestable as raw - perhaps that it would compact in the bowels if fed too much?? (JMO though, I don't know if that would/could actually happen).

I think I will double check to see if they are dried or smoked???

It is mainly for my boy who cannot tolerate many raw bones, I do give him some but have to be careful what type, how often and limit any fat.

I have just started to give my boy dried kangaroo backbone. Raw bones don't agree with him - he either swallows without chewing (chicken wings and frames) and then vomits it all back up or guards it without eating it (lamb). I was at my wits end as his teeth were getting grotty but just one of the backbones has taken most of the plaque off. He only eats the flesh though, and leaves the bones, so as long as I supervise him carefully I don't have a problem with the bones.