Tango's At The Vets Tonight

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

also cod liver oil can be used to assist healing once the threat of infection has passed

H

Thanks for that - you mean IN the eye???

I wash his eyes with eyebright tea - or I did when I was trying to heal it with antibiotic creams from the vet - so he's used to have wierd stuff put in his eyes LOL

Did the lady say when they were coming in? I'd be happy to post one to you from work if you want. I have no idea how much they cost. :hug:

Thanks Kirty - that's really nice of you to offer! I think I have it covered tho - hopefully!!

The visor arrived (they sent it up on the bus - but have charged me the freight which I thought was a bloody cheek!!) but as I kinda expected, it's too big for him. I emailed the inventor a couple of day ago and he rang me and talked to me for ages! I sent him photos etc and he said he thought Tango needed a small/medium because he has a long nose but he's not really very big-headed LOL. So I have ordered one direct from him - apparently he's just modified the design after feedback and now there are coloured straps to help people understand how they fit and they come partly pre-assembled because most people couldn't figure it out :( .

They aren't too badly priced (thank goodness!) - about the same as a Buster collar. The medium from the vets was about $19 and the medium/small he is sending me is around $16. THe inventor guy (Tasi is his name) was really helpful when I spoke with him on the phone.

Meanwhile Tango has been very good without the broken buster collar on and isn't rubbing his eye any more, so I'm not even sure he even needs anything anymore :hug: - maybe for when I let him run around off lead near nasty brambles and blackberry bushes..... until he has the stitches out and we see how it's going.

Oh well, I guess if this all works out I'll have one ready for the next doggy disaster :hug:

Okay - the new optivisor arrived and I have to tell you it's FABULOUS! It took a bit of fiddling and adjusting the straps to get it right but once I did ......WOW! And he is such a happy boy - its not bothering him (or me or Pepper or my furniture or my legs) in the least!!

Here's a pic of him doing his stretching which he does when he's feeling good!!

4776074773_452736616a_b.jpg

How cute is that Jetson visor thingy :)

There's more here if you're interested in seeing how it fits etc

Tangos eye surgery pics

Guest belgian.blue

Wow didn't know you could get different kind of collars to stop rubbing etc!

Looked at your photos on Flickr, really interesting.

Yeah you can actually get a couple of different alternatives to the Elizabethan 'collar-from-hell' these days. There's a blow-up donut one (someone mentions it in another thread) blow up collar which I looked at but wouldn't have helped with an eye surgery issue - plus knowing tango he'd probably manage to puncture it within minutes :noidea: . There's also the Comfy Cone - a sort of stiff material one - but again this wouldn't have helped with Tango comfy cone (websites picked at random for illustration purposes only - I'm not recommending those sites in particular as I don't know them)

I've also seen some others available in America/UK

The optivisor is one of several inventions for dogs and horses by the same person (an Aussie) who appeared with it on The New Inventors or whatever that ABC show is called. He has another post-surgery shield one (piccies below) only the more recent models are more colourful (like the optivisor) and have a couple of other design improvements.

banner1.jpgbanner3.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to look at my Flickr pics :love:

Edited by spottychick

PS THey forgot to clip his nails dang it!!!

Bugger, I was going to ask that.

I think the Optovisor was on The Inventors (or New Inventors) a while ago and I did post here. The guy invented it because his dogs had continual problem with his eyes and needed protection.

B*&^%y person in vet clinic. I'd report her :noidea::love: .

Hopefully the optovisor will do the trick.

Ah there it is! I knew someone said sommat about The Inventors!

MM I sent the inventor the link to my Flickr pics and he called me for the second time to give me advice about how to tweak the visor to make it fit even better. Seems like he's really devoted to helping dogs feel comfortable.

Okay - the new optivisor arrived and I have to tell you it's FABULOUS! It took a bit of fiddling and adjusting the straps to get it right but once I did ......WOW! And he is such a happy boy - its not bothering him (or me or Pepper or my furniture or my legs) in the least!!

Here's a pic of him doing his stretching which he does when he's feeling good!!

4776074773_452736616a_b.jpg

How cute is that Jetson visor thingy :noidea:

There's more here if you're interested in seeing how it fits etc

Tangos eye surgery pics

Oh that looks brilliant Spottychick. How good is the inventor to get involved in helping you out. Tango looks very comfortable in that. When do his stitches come out?

Isn't that wonderful. And I can't get over how cheap it was. From memory, it seems to have been modified quite extensively from when he first presented it on The Inventors. I think it was somewhat bulkier, but now seems very streamlined.

I think it is a good idea for you to keep it for when you are going on your off leash rambles. You'd hate anything to scratch Tango's eyes after this surgery.

Tasi sounds a very focussed person :):laugh::)

Yes it has - he said it's been through about 3 major modifications since the first one he made. A lot of it's because people had trouble fitting it (still do apparently) but like I said once you get it right it's fantastic. And improvements to the shape and straps etc

I actually got the old model from the vets - it was too big for him although Tasi thinks his newer Medium would fit him because it's slightly smaller (probably due to the streamlining) and just differently designed. The old one was all clear plastic and yes bulkier. It also had plastic straps and a buckle whereas now they have material straps with velcro. Much better. ANd the headrest is more flexible so you can squish it down a bit and make it more comfy.

The one he's wearing in the pic is a "small/medium" and while it fits okay it's pushing up a little on the bottom of his ears so Tasi is making another one for him in the medium size to see if that fits better. Tango has a wide forehead but is quite narrow and long in the nose so it's hard to get the right size for him.

It's possible that Tango just has a funny head LOL so neither of the standard sizes will fit him perfectly but it doesn't matter because he's okay with it as it is anyway.

Tasi is very lovely.