Greyhounds, Whippets Or...?

We have the world's best greyhound Belle. I cannot recommend these beautiful gentle goofy dogs highly enough. We have four cats, two kids and Belle is just the best dog ever. I will never be without a grey again.

To watch her sitting perfectly still whilst our tiny Cornish cat diligently washes her gives you an inkling into just how special these dogs are. Or to watch her face when she's with our two kids either playing or her listening intently whilst they tell her their biggest secrets. Or that helicopter tail just because she's happy.

We got our darling girl from GAPVic and are so very very grateful to share our lives with our precious girl. :laugh:

happy to go for a half hour to hour long brisk walk each day but doesn't need more exercise than that.

The only problem might be this part. My boy is 35kg and quite big and he likes to walk for about 15 minutes optimally, but occasionally we will take him for a 30 minute walk and thats totally enough for him. The other night after a 30 minute walk he wanted to sleep in preference to eating his dinner he was that tired!

If we wanted to walk him for an hour, he'd be knackered!

Does anyone have a grey that walks for an hour?

Edited by GotAnyBlacker

happy to go for a half hour to hour long brisk walk each day but doesn't need more exercise than that.

The only problem might be this part. My boy is 35kg and quite big and he likes to walk for about 15 minutes optimally, but occasionally we will take him for a 30 minute walk and thats totally enough for him. The other night after a 30 minute walk he wanted to sleep in preference to eating his dinner he was that tired!

My boy did exaclty what the SBT's did each night, 5 k's of roadwork. He'd scream the house down if he got left behind. He kept up, did the leash free time and the rest of the roadwork. The fitter they get, the more work they can handle, the more they want.

mine would if I did and I have a friend whose greys regularly did an hour every day when they were younger. They are now seniors so the walks aren't as long.

I believe that if you keep them fit they will stay fit. It depends on the dog, and I don't think age has a lot to do with it.

Mine are nearly 8 and 10. They get a free run most mornings, and a one hour plus walk every afternoon - longer on weekends. The 8 year old then whines half an hour later as she wants to go out again!

We have a 5 yo male currently in foster care who gets a 2 hour walk every day - he's full of beans even on the return home. Yet I have seen 2 year old who can barely make it around the block at first - they need to build up to it!

AnnieK, I was just thinking of your dogs when I read the bit about long walks.

Bianca doesn't want to walk that long with me (which suits me), but how did she go when she stayed with you?

She went everywhere we went and was fine - except she stayed on lead. I think sometimes they walk further with other dogs. Sometimes if I take Cowboy out on his own, we walk about 20 metres, he does his business then drags me home - but he is a funny bugger as you know :laugh:

I think either whippet or greyhound would fit your requirements and make a wonderful addition to your family.

I have two greyhounds and just adore the breed. They are so elegant, yet so goofy!* They curl up into tiny spaces, and stretch out to take up a whole queen size bed :cry: They aren't a dog that you feel is always underfoot. They are happy just to spend time with you, as opposed to demanding that you throw the ball for them constantly (not that there's anything wrong with that!). They are quiet and clean, and LOVE attention but don't demand it. My older boy spends most days inside the house sleeping on the lounge while we're at work. He prefers his home comfort, whereas our young girl enjoys pottering around the yard all day.

Go meet some, you won't regret it - even if you decide on getting a different breed :)

*I have a video of goofy if you want to see it :(