Agility Training Talk Thread

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone - I'm really stoked with how well he's going, he's such a fun boy to train. :D TSD the girls love him, Zee has a play mate and Darcy gets left in peace to sleep in front of the heater. Not sure Sasha the cat enjoys being herded by two dogs instead of one, but I'd still back the cat everytime :laugh:

What a clever boy he is :) I want to do it with Shock (10 weeks) but haven't got around to it yet. Plenty of time though :D

Absolutely recommend it :thumbsup: I think Bowie was about 12 or 14 weeks when I started, there is a lot to work on if you do everything. I've picked out the tasks that ST marked as the foundation for another skill and pretty much worked with those. I got held up with work, a dislocated finger and a few other things but I'm really happy I stuck with it, even just for the amazing body awareness he's learnt. Plus you get your choice of her training DVDs if you submit a graduation video :thumbsup:

Jess, can you please tell us more about her course/s? Are they open to everyone and dogs of all ages? I guess there is a lot of work involved? Is it expensive to do? Your video is very inspiring! Love that rear end awareness!

RS Silvia's classes are open for dogs of all ages. LoLaBu Land Experience is her website.

I did her Puppy Class as a working spot, you can also audit which means you get to see everyone's training videos, read their feedback, ask questions, comment but not submit any videos. It's called puppy class but there are dogs in there of all ages, it's basically a foundation tricks/body awareness class.

Cost wise I found it relatively ok. There is a huge amount of information available on the site, you have access to everyone's training videos and feedback. Like most online classes I've done it moves fast, but Silvia will always come back and comment on every single video you post, even if you're way behind everyone else. Plenty of benefit to be gained by watching others and heaps to learn from everyone's feedback and struggles. I wish I had more time to dedicate to it watching and learning but I just don't. If you spent a few mins a night working through it you'd cover a lot of the actual training ok. Most time consuming was videoing, editing and uploading when I chose to.

Edited to add: To start with it starts off slow, and you think it's pretty easy to get through the first tasks (you get homework to complete over a 2 week period, then you start a new block) but then it gets busy very quickly. Initially I wasn't raving about it, I have a very good friend who is brilliant with her clicker training and her feedback on my timing and mechanics was just as if not more valuable (Silvia isn't as brutally honest ;)) But after a few weeks I started to see how far we'd come, and suddenly I had all this "foundation" of skills that I could do so much with. I've done a lot of SG's online stuff, all the crate games, collar grab etc and while I still do a lot of SGs stuff, I find I get really bogged down in just how many layers of training there is. It's a little too easy to drop the fun. :o

ST has a way of putting it all together in a fun way and suddenly you look back and think "wow, look how far we've come!" :D

Edited by Jess.

Jess I think your pup is pretty awesome. I'd be thrilled if I was you.

You've been working consistently and it shows.

Technically I'd have no chance of every working out how to do video clips.

I must look more at ST training as my club uses SG and Greg Derrett so that is all I really know. Althou I have seen some video of ST and La.

:laugh: RnH ... you don't have to worry yet :bolt:

Just between us, im a bit of an overachiever and like getting ahead of the game :)

ETA - I have just started agility training and am looking at entering Hemi in JD at the Royal :eek:

Edited by RoxyNHemi

RnH I think Tassie meant you don't have to worry about Hemi being out in front yet but as he gets more confident he may zoom off ahead of you :laugh: That's how I read it anyway!

RnH I think Tassie meant you don't have to worry about Hemi being out in front yet but as he gets more confident he may zoom off ahead of you :laugh: That's how I read it anyway!

You know me too well, pie :-) ..yes, that's what I did mean! :-)

So I took the little black ninja to training last night in a new environment for a change of scenery. Don't want her getting too used to just the one training grounds, as we do both obedience and agility in the same place every week!

It seems the only cross I can do with the Labs are front crosses because I am always out in front of them, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that I am failing miserably with timing my front crosses with the ninja! She zooms right past and behind me because I can only get in place to execute them as she's already flying over the jump :o

So I re-ran that same small sequence trying a rear cross and a blind cross. Rear cross worked nicely, but feels weird to me as I can't do them with the Labs. Pippa is capable of them which excites me greatly :D The blind cross worked too, but she still went wide, so those need work. I don't feel comfortable with blind crosses, so those will only be used in emergencies I think, unless I train them better laugh.gif

Had much fun with her last night, even though we had icicles on our eyebrows it was that cold!!! Typical baby dog though, what a contact suck laugh.gif

LOL RS ... having the same thing with the misguided missile - took me quite a while to work out using front crosses with Kirra, and the rears I do occasionally don't have to be super neat, and we can pretty much do them without thinking. The missile on the other hand .... a lot of it's going to have to be good rear crosses - so hard to work out where I need to be, and to be confident to run a clean line. Then he gets a bit silly if I'm not clear or if I say too much. Definitely a Ferrari dog - and I'm a Rav 4 handler. :rofl: But we're having lots of fun learning - sounds like you are too.

Eight runs for Miss Kirra today - lots of DQs, but some very nice stuff too - as usual. I just love that she's still having the best fun out there. :D

Well Elsie sure knows how to keep me humble!

Had a few agility runs this weekend, a few missed hurdles and needed a few attempts to get through weaves but otherwise happy... Jumpers courses though... OMG. On her final agility run she did every hurdle, and I was pushing her quite hard, so I decided her hurdle missing was cured and we could enjoy running hard in jumpers :laugh:

On the start line she is in a wait, and whining very loudly at me, I release her... The barking and screaming starts... She probably jumped 4 out of 15 hurdles, and did both tunnels! Ran around EVERYTHING and barked the whole time! Next run I decided to take it slower and let her pick the pace, same thing again... bark bark bark bark run around everything... Final run we managed a clear round??

:rofl: Sorry DD - couldn't help laughing. Well done on the agility work - but your jumpers run sounds like mine on Sunday - except the misguided missile doesn't bark. He held his stay while I led out to the 3rd jump - cleared the first two, came inside the next three (my bad line), with a bit of fiddling, took the correct tunnel, blasted down the straight line of bar, broad and into a tunnel, then took the sharp turn out of the tunnel (I was waiting in a good place because that was as far as I'd got trying to keep up with him on his blast - managed to keep him off an off course, but he crashed into the spread - didn't have time to sight it - but then read the shoulder turn (he had time cos he was picking himself up :laugh: ), and took the last 2 jumps home.

Actually, writing it down, it doesn't look as crazy as it felt at the time :rofl:

Fun... Yes :laugh:

Will upload the video of her clear round tomorrow, a bit sad that the recording of her crazy round didn't work out!

Some photos in the mean time, courtesy of the awesome Emily from Auckland Area Agility Photos.

943302_525809634143861_321750139_n.jpg

827_525809667477191_1938567843_n.jpg

960054_525809710810520_1503186924_n.jpg

931222_525809720810519_704019820_n.jpg

:thumbsup: Great photos, DD - look at that girlie go. I love the one of her coming out of the chute.

@TSD - :laugh: - yes, you're right - it does sound crazy - and the sad thing is my friend (and coach} said it was the best run we'd had :rofl: .

Super photos DD.

Last night after our Agility class, the club held an auslink trial. It was fun to watch and I look forward to one day doing it with my boy!. I was going to give it a shot, but my trainer recommended against it as we havent learnt sequencing yet.... which we are going to start on next week :)