Dog-related Good Manners

I'm not talking about what you expect from your dog behaviour wise, but what you think people should ideally do.

So, what do you think a well mannered human does and says when it comes to things doggie? Is it important to be polite about other people's dogs and dog choices at all?

Some starters that I wish I was disciplined enough to do all the time myself:

Listen to others, and avoid giving someone a 15 minute blow by blow description of how cute/clever/special your dog is when you should be having a conversation Dogs are like children, your own are always more interesting to you than other peoples. But it's a bore for everyone if you can't really listen to someone talk about their dog, show an interest and/pr ask questions about their dog/s once in a while.

Never miss an opportunity to shut up. If it's not going to help the dog, and is just some version on "I told you so" or "you made a mistake" then I think it's better to zip it. No point saying to some hapless person struggling to control a 40 kilo dog "well, you shouldn't have got a Ridgeback X". Too late now, either help them or shut up.

If you think that someone needs to hear something because it's in the dog's best interests that they change their behaviour, send it privately rather than engaging in public humiliation on a board or list. Self explanatory

What else? Other thoughts?

I think that the if you dont have anything nice to say keep your mouth shut covers most of it ,

Remember that this is a first meeting with someone talking about a passion that they have , what impression would you like to leave ?

try pretending that the owner of the dog that you insult or are rude to may one day be the person who interviews you for that fantastic job , hmmm think they may recall the person who was nasty and hurtful in a favourable light ?

Remember the rules that you apply when meeting people at a party or work function apply them when you meet other dog owners ?

Sorry Sky but think that trying to retrain adult humans how to be social and polite is a martyers job , would rather teach a DA or HA dog would have an easier time of it LOL dogs are easy

I'm going to indulge in number 1, if anyone else starts talking on and on about their kids. Right down to matching them on bowl movement descriptions.

Um.

Do let people know your adorable dog came from a pound. And was a puppy. And about the sad origins of petshop puppies and how and why to avoid those. Do let people know how much fun training a dog can be. And how easy. Demonstrate if there is a dog in front of you, ideally theirs. Inspire them.

Do ask questions about why and how come - rather than issue edicts if you see somebody doing something stupid like bringing a bitch on heat to the dog park. I recently met one - bitch had been on heat for 10 weeks. I suggested dog must be getting anaemic, perhaps a trip to the vet might be good, and that there is a pill for dogs. The bloke meant to get it desexed but waited too long.

Do be ok with variations to what you consider to be "the right way". Every dog is different.

Don't tell people that their dog is "yukky" even if they say so. It's ok for the owner to say that but not you.

Sorry Sky but think that trying to retrain adult humans how to be social and polite is a martyers job , would rather teach a DA or HA dog would have an easier time of it LOL dogs are easy

I agree, not trying to train anyone with this post! I post it mostly for those of us who are willing but occasionally clueless and who would like to improve their game. For me it is really about the dogs, if you piss someone off there's a much lower chance that they'll change their behaviour. I do know there are some people who don't care and won't try and I don't plan to waste energy on them :)

Humour is a very personal thing - be careful making jokes about someone's dogs unless you know them.

We all love our dogs. It pays to bear that we don't all love other people's but they don't need to know that. :)

There is one lovely saying...

"If you can't say something nice, then best not to say anything at all"

If you come across a complete moron with an uncontrolled dog in a public setting, screaming abuse or telling them to get lost isn't going to help them at all, is it? Maybe a different approach like expounding the virtues of the local dog training club might be in order? And throw in how much fun the dogs have in training, and how it really wears them out mentally and physically... *grin*

I don't tend to harp on about where dogs come from... but I do mention that I foster puppies for rescue - which leads to other opportunities to explain how my fosters came to be in my care. Works really well when I'm in public areas with said pups behaving beautifully... which then also shows people that not all dogs who have found themselves homeless are "broken"...

Plenty more, but my brain is frozen at the moment...

T.

i agree about the manners

very important

however i also think it is really important to be really honest about your breed

so many people are so one-eyed about their latest acquisition

or their long-standing favourite

i dont get it

i mean i can understand it but i dont empathise with this

it is as if people's whole identity is wrapped in their choice of dog...and they wont admit to having any flaws..in their dog..nor in the breed

it is so refreshing for me to find someone who will openly talk about the limitations of their own dog...and tempers any compliments with the truth as they know it

if someone comes up and admires any of my dogs and asks what theyre like i am as honest as i can be...several of my dogs are not suited for people out there and there are so many misconceptions that i feel compelled at least to steer people to better researching their dog of choice and looking honestly at their situations

i so appreciate it when i meet the odd breeder who is open about their breed...a dog is not an extension of yourself...it is ok if it is not the perfect dog or the perfect breed...far better to be honest and give a balanced view

Good ones, SSM.

I don't have much to add. I just try to treat people how I would want to be treated. What people want to do with their dogs is their business, not mine. If they've bought a DD I shut up and listen to what they have to say about the experience. I consider every dog owner I befriend to be part of a network of people that will hopefully pick my dogs up off the road if they ever find their way out there. It's not that hard to be nice to people, especially if you consider what they would do if they ever saw you or your dogs needing help. If people know you and your dogs and you've been nice to them, they'll go out of their way to help you come the day you need it. That's what community is all about. That alone is a good reason to me to just be very nice to people.

With me rule number one is;

1) ASK me if you can touch my dog. Do not just approach us with your arms and hands outreached. You don't know my dog, she does not know you. If I were to do that to your baby you would probably be pretty peeved.

2) LISTEN to me when I tell you what not to feed my dog. I have had to tell my own Mum off several times for trying to sneak Brennan some food (namely potato) which is not good for dogs. If I tell you not to give my dog something to eat-- then DON"T.

3) My dog is trained using Positive Reinforcement. If you use different methods of training-- that is fine. But if you EVER think you can use a different method on MY dog then you are kidding yourself.

4) If you come to my house and see my dog inside, or on the couch or on my bed. Do not tell her to get off the couch/bed or go outside. She lives here--You don't.

4) If you come to my house and see my dog inside, or on the couch or on my bed. Do not tell her to get off the couch/bed or go outside. She lives here--You don't.

My mother used to do that, but my dogs have the good sense to ignore her, so she stopped trying... *grin*

T.