Cleaning Wounds

I had to take one of my dogs to the vets yesterday after an altercation with my other dog where she substained a punture wound.She also had a hot spot which was drying out as I ahd been using curash powder on it

At hoem I have bathed the punture wound with warm salty water but at the vets after clipping it the washed them both with some kind of anti bacteria lwash.Just wondered if anyone knows exactly what it would have been or is there anything else you can use at home similar or best stick to the salt water rountine?

It's not really for use now as the wound is looking better but just wondered what it is for future reference

Depending on the wound perhaps you can try wound gel-medicated honey which you can get from a chemist.

We had a sheep attacked by a wild dog, the vet stitched the wound, stitches split, couldn't be re-stitched, vet didn't hold out much hope as thought septacemia (spell.) may set in-we packed the wound three times with the honey and it has healed to the extent you wouln't know there had been an open wound. :rofl:

Depends on the size of the wound.

Small wounds that don't require much additional treatment generally get bathed in a chlorhexidine solution.

I use plain saline for those that require extensive flushing as it is less irritant to tissue.

If you are making your own salty water, then aim for 9g of salt per litre (which is a bit less than 1/2 tsp per metric cup, or just less than 2 tsp per litre - it should taste no more salty than tears!).