Could We Have Missed Her?

moko81

Okay I have posted previously regarding my girl coming into season so soon after her last.

Anyway we took her to the vet on Friday she had a smear test done & was teetering btwn 0 & 1.

Vet told us to come back yesterday. As we were unable to get in there yesterday we took her in today.

Hope this didn't stuff things up for us :(:(:( .

So hubby noticed yesterday she wasn't bleeding anymore & decided to do a couple of matings for practice.

He also did a mating this arvo before we took her into the vet, don't know if that was very wise.

Took her to the vet today & had a prog' test done & she was 74.8 :thumbsup::rofl::rofl: now after the test was

done & before I left the vet (not knowing the results yet) I asked him what our lucky no# was.

Now he told me anywhere btwn 25 & 80, crossing my fingers this is correct.

Spoke to a friend of ours who have the same breed & they have told us they do matings btwn 15 & 30 & that they

did a mating at 89 & there bitch missed, really not liking our chances :(:(:( .

So after this big rave, I'm just wanting to know whether anyone has mated there bitches this high & had them

fall. Where just holding onto a glimmer of hope that we may have caught her in time & haven't missed her again

:laugh::thumbsup::thumbsup:

So once again thanks in advance, much appreciated.

Moko :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Okay I have posted previously regarding my girl coming into season so soon after her last.

Anyway we took her to the vet on Friday she had a smear test done & was teetering btwn 0 & 1.

Vet told us to come back yesterday. As we were unable to get in there yesterday we took her in today.

Hope this didn't stuff things up for us :(:(:( .

So hubby noticed yesterday she wasn't bleeding anymore & decided to do a couple of matings for practice.

He also did a mating this arvo before we took her into the vet, don't know if that was very wise.

Took her to the vet today & had a prog' test done & she was 74.8 :thumbsup::rofl::rofl: now after the test was

done & before I left the vet (not knowing the results yet) I asked him what our lucky no# was.

Spoke to a friend of ours who have the same breed & they have told us they do matings btwn 15 & 30 & that they

So after this big rave, I'm just wanting to know whether anyone has mated there bitches this high & had them

fall. Where just holding onto a glimmer of hope that we may have caught her in time & haven't missed her again

:laugh::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Moko :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I can't remember the exact figure but I think it was at about 70 that the cervix closes. So if she was 74 today and was mated yesterday you may have just got her on the tail end. I'm wondering why you didn't rely on the stud to tell you when she was ready but I suspect your other thread reveals this info.

Hope this didn't stuff things up for us :D ;) ;) .

Took her to the vet today & had a prog' test done & she was 74.8 :p :o:o now after the test was

:D :D :(

Moko :thumbsup::o :D

I can't remember the exact figure but I think it was at about 70 that the cervix closes. So if she was 74 today and was mated yesterday you may have just got her on the tail end. I'm wondering why you didn't rely on the stud to tell you when she was ready but I suspect your other thread reveals this info.

Just a huge overlook on our part I guess :D , he had been trying to mate her right from the time she started bleeding & has the wound marks from out bitch to show it :):) . With her last season she was really slow & we thought this time was the same, wasn't expecting such a huge jump in such a short time & to say our vet was surprised was an understatement. Oh well lesson learnt now.

Exactly why I never test and rely on the dog and the bitch at all times.

I know people that test and when the vet says today is the day, the dogs say no way.

Often it may be a day or so later when they mate and produce litters.

I know people that test and when the vet says today is the day, the dogs say no way.

Can't say I've ever had that problem and I have prog tested for several years now :thumbsup:

Moko81 I wouldn't discount her conceiving at this stage...

Edited by Aziah

I think your vet is right and I think that you have mated at the right time. I have found that vets often differ on the right time but the ones that have more experience in breeding usually say closer to what your vet said.

I had a visiting bitch who was 81 on her first progesterone test. She got the result the next day so it would have been probably quite a bit higher than that when she informed me. She was quite desperate to have pups that cycle and so, with the dog and bitch quite keen, we decided to give it a go with a mating. She had a small litter of 3 pups. I think had it been the day before, when she was 81 she probably would have had a bigger litter. Her cervix can't have been tightly close at a progesterone level of 60.

hi Guys, thanks for your posts :thumbsup::o :D

I guess it's all just a waiting game now.

Spoke to our vet & he has said that his no# of btwn 25 & 80 is wat they've

always suggested there matings on & he gave me these figures before we got

the results of her prog' levels.

Now this maybe a stupid question but if the cervix closes tight at 60 like

Peaceful stated could our boy still get it in there? When my hubby did the 2 matings

our boy was in there well so he reckons :):) :p & just makes me wonder

weather he would still be able to get it in there.

Also our vet has suggested we do an AI today, now of course they said they'll test her first

before doing it, with her levels from yesterday & god knows what her levels are today would

this be worth it???

Once again thanks in advance, much appreciated :D :D :(

Can't say I've ever had that problem and I have prog tested for several years now :)

Moko81 I wouldn't discount her conceiving at this stage...

Yes, people swear by testing, and I tried it to, but it just never worked for me.

The testing times were the only times I never got a litter. :)

why would you do an AI ? just try for a natural mating and a tie.

With our previous matings we took our bitch to a Studmaster.

He showed my hubby how he does his matings & he never lets them tie unsure why.

So I guess my hubby is just a bit wary letting that happen as our Studmaster friend doesn't.

He definately would prefer to do a natural mating not sure if he will allow the tieing bit though.

Now if they do tie how long do they tie for???

Now this maybe a stupid question but if the cervix closes tight at 60 like

Peaceful stated could our boy still get it in there?

:cooldance: Think you need to google dog anatomy

:):):happydance: yep I think so too.

Got 20 million different things running through my head at the minute

& 1 is hoping we ain't missed her. We've had to do a bit of a 360 with our dogs,

breedings etc. & are hoping we see babies sometime in our future :champagne::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I'd be getting a new studmaster !!!

In reading prog results, repro vets look for the curve or stepped, gradual rise in levels as an indicator of ovulation, sudden peaks / spikes may mean a very short period of fertility or window of opportunity.

fifi

Ummmmm cervix is not where the dog gets in ...google might help you out here !

A.I's are done after the cervix has closed and when the eggs are ripe so depending on how long the eggs live for you may get puppies

or you may just make the vet richer :)

To get a successful A.I you need to map the progesterone rise not just get one reading which may or may not be accurate.

Calibration of the equipment can and does give false results which is why if you are getting an A.I it is recommended to get prog levels done every day to work out the optimal day for insemination.

You also need a new stud master...one who knows what they are talking about :)

Ummmmm cervix is not where the dog gets in ...google might help you out here !

A.I's are done after the cervix has closed and when the eggs are ripe so depending on how long the eggs live for you may get puppies

or you may just make the vet richer :)

To get a successful A.I you need to map the progesterone rise not just get one reading which may or may not be accurate.

Calibration of the equipment can and does give false results which is why if you are getting an A.I it is recommended to get prog levels done every day to work out the optimal day for insemination.

You also need a new stud master...one who knows what they are talking about ;)

Duhhh :(:):) (not u me, :D :):laugh: )

I knew that but was thinking something else, like I said to many million things going on :eek: :D :D

To be honest quiet a few people we know within our breed do natural but don't allow to tie not just the studmaster we use.

They have been doing it this way for many years with much success.

We will definately not discount the natural with letting them tie I guess when breeders of your breed have been doing it this way

for all there breeding time & show you this way you tend to take there teachings on board.

Once again thank you all for your comments, you definately learn something new everyday

:hug::(:rofl:

Moko, is there a particular reason why you don't allow ties in British Bulldogs? Is this the norm for BB breeders? Or is is something that only a handful of breeders do?

Just curious as I have not come across breeders in general, who do not allow their dogs to tie. :hug: