Staffy Diagnosed

gemibabe

HI everyone,

My friends staffy is 8yrs old and has just been diagnosed with Myaloma. I am presumming the spelling is correct as I recieved news via sms.

He is waiting on tests to be done to determine how long she has left, and whether or not chemo will be good.

I know some people here have had dogs go thru chemo and some haven't. My question is how much do the dogs suffer with chemo treatment? Does it make them sick like it does humans? I know its personal choice whether or not he puts her thru chemo. Would it be better to let the dog continue on without treatment and then send her to rainbow bridge once the pain and illness really sets in?

Does he tell the breeder also? Being 8 years down the track would it help? Is it a problem in the lines or does it come with old age?

I only saw Misty girl some 3 weeks ago and she seemed her lively self and now this.

:(

She went in to check out her HD and found out it wasn't HD at all, but a slipped disc. Thats being treated with anti-inflamatory stuff. And then they found out with tests about the Blood disorder :p

I want to give him some positive news if I can.

;)

TTFN

Kylie

I also recently posted about Lucy a 11 year old staffy belonginging to my OH. She was her normal self other than what was thought to be KC but did not clear up, later she broke a leg, X-rays showed bone cancer. We chose not to treat as the disease was already in her lungs. Im afraid i cannot offer you anything positive other than to say of what i have read since then there really is no way of knowing the dog has this and nothing as an owner you could have done differently would change it.

I dont know about being in specific breeding lines, but the information i found indicated it to be mainly affecting long limbed dogs, e.g. greyhounds but really no info on inheritance or environment.

Rozzie may have something to add, I know she recently had a bone cancer diagnosis for her greyhound.

My greyhound lasted 3 weeks after being diagnosed with bone cancer. Sam was 8 and had a strong family history of it. I opted not to treat it except for painkillers. When the painkillers failed I had Sam put down. If it ever happens again I will have the dog put down straight away. When the pain killers failed, they failed in a big way. Just stopped working. I would never ever again put a dog through that.

Many, many greyhounds have had this awful disease and a lot have survived for 12 months or more with good quality of life. Some dogs have chemo, some have amputation, some have both. And some, like my Sam, have none. It is a personal desicion and not an easy one. You can only do what you think is right for both of you.

I wish your friend the best of luck, it will not be an easy time for him

I had an eight year old wolfhound who had bone cancer of the leg. Our vet advised against chemo. We had good results using metacam and increased the dose as needed. I always took a bottle of metacam with me when away from home in case he knocked his leg. Although he had a reasonable quality of life and still enjoyed his walks, if they knock the bone its agony for them. I would'nt keep a dog going with bone cancer again. Its better for them to do it sooner rather than later. I kept him going because I could'nt bear to say goodbye and I told myself his quality of life was o.k. but I now feel I should have done it sooner.

I am sorry to hear that Gemibabe and I hope some treatment will help.I like Rebanne had a dog diagnosed with it and 3 weeks later I put her to sleep.I first noticed alump on her elbow and took her to the vet and straight away she gave me the bad news and said prepare for the worst.Within 3 weeks the lump was as big as my fist and the painkillers didnt seem to be helping.As the dog was 12 years old I didnt feel that she could take the treatment and I had to make the hard decision.Its painful but I knew it was for the best.

Brax has touched me chrissie :thumbsup:

I think we have good news on this... no protien found??? I'm presuming in the urine and her bloods are ok.. How does a vet go from saying its myeloma to now everything is fine?

I told him to change vets since they mis diagnosed HD 7 yrs ago to only realising just the other week it was a slipped disc ;)

thanks gemibabe, well what can l say Brax was diagnosed with the wrong cancer

treated for the wrong cancer, 5 weeks later they rang and told me this. Brax lasted

another 2 weeks and he was gone. It makes you wonder about vets, l have lost all faith in them.

tybrax, tyra

Sofia was diagnosed, put on meds and PTS two weeks later. Selfish of us but we wanted her to have Xmas. Cancer had spread to her lungs. Her last day she managed to run to the gate.

Amputation was discussed, as was chemo, when the cancer was diagnosed. Prognosis was not good. Meds chosen. When the light went out in her eyes we knew it was time.