Puppy From Royal Canin Gsd To Raw

what is the best way to do this and is there any supplements (like calcium) that are needed? My breeder has said that Royal Canin GSD (plus some chicken necks) is the best for White Shepherds because it is designed for german shepherds but I want to feed this pup raw right from the start? I asked the breeder what she thought about VAN and RAW diets and she was basicly telling me that all her previous puppy buyers had followed her advice and put the puppies on RC and she seemed to be completely against RAW. Do you have any suggestions as to what to feed when it comes to raw and what quantities do you feed a shepherd that is 7 weeks old.

Edited by dwilds

The only issue with raw is getting the balance right (calcium/protien/fat/minerals/etc), which might be why your breeder seems against it. Premium food does make it easy as each bowl of food is balanced, raw works on the balance being over a few days/week etc. The RC GSD puppy mix is very good, and has no wheat - but if you are set about going with raw then get a small bag of the GSD puppy/junior and mix over to raw as you would if switching dry foods.

You could consider the BARF patties? they are balanced per pattie but are raw still? Basically if you are set on going with a raw diet then read up as much as you can about the different types and go from there.

ETA - the amount of RAW/BARF to give a pup is a percentage of the pups weight - if you get the BARF books it does go into how much you need. I found with my GSD's i had to feed a lot more then the recommended percentage - but each dog is different, and it depends on how much activity the pup/dog is doing.

Edited by KitKat

I think it is preferable that you follow your breeders advice for the interim. There is no rush. Eating commercial food for a while will not damage your dog.

In the mean time, you can be learning and getting advice from numerous sources to determine the best diet for your dog.

In my opinion, most raw advocates prescribe raw diets that do not take into account the specific needs of the breed and the activity.

Go and buy a copy of Grow Your Pups with Bones. Everything you need to know to successfully raise a puppy on raw food is right there. I would not feed VAN to a growing pup. I'd be feeding RMBs and a bought or home prepared BARF mix.

Talk to other GSD breeders who feed raw. Its not rocket science but it does need to be done right.

Are you getting this pup aged 7 weeks? I hope not. :D

Go and buy a copy of Grow Your Pups with Bones. Everything you need to know to successfully raise a puppy on raw food is right there. I would not feed VAN to a growing pup. I'd be feeding RMBs and a bought or home prepared BARF mix.

Talk to other GSD breeders who feed raw. Its not rocket science but it does need to be done right.

Are you getting this pup aged 7 weeks? I hope not. :D

Yes but the pup will be closer to 8 weeks than 7. I know it isn't the best time to get the pup but the breeder was going to let it go at 6 weeks but I convinced the breeder to keep the pup a bit longer. Hopefully my older dog can continue the training that the mother and litter mates give. I have been discussing this here.

I will look into the books by Dr Billinghurst and see. the closest place I can get the BARF patties from is 2 hours drive away but I would probably do a trip there once a month

seriously I would stick to a good dry food at least during the growing phase if you are not already versed in raw diets for pups. Get it wrong and the results can be disasterous.

I too second the notion of find another breeder. Plenty of ethical white shepherd breeders here on DOL if you want one.

I am afraid I would be running a mile if the "breeder" wanted to hand the pup over at 6 weeks...

Yes..........totally agree :shrug:

I don't know about raw food, but we have always fed our working Shepherds on a base of cooked rice, mince and vegetables, alternating a topping of chicken, sardines, pasta with a dry food mixed with natural yoghurt for breakfast. Pups were fed basically the same except alternating between dry puppy food and the cooked for each meal which has provided good health and results.

Personally I think in most cases it's best to follow the breeders advice if not experienced in proven alternatives.

Cheers

Nev

Edited by K9Nev

I defiantly would not take an 8 week old growing gsd puppy of dry food if that is what its been used to.

I,d would be adding other raw meat as well as chicken necks,you may have to introduce it gradually.

They can vomit it back up, one of mine took awhile to get used to raw food. They also love tin sardines in oil.

My dogs are feed mainly raw but I always offer dry, some days they eat it other days not.

In the meantime do some research. Its a bit more work feeding raw but very easy once you get used to it. If you have a freezer then you can stock up on your trip to town like I do.

The first gsd I got many years ago turned out to be only 6 weeks old. She was breed by a registered breeder and I was told she was older. When I got her papers I found out how young she had been, she lived to 13.3.

I wouldn't grow a large breed pup on raw. It's just too risky if you get the ratio's wrong. The ratio of calcium to phosphorus needs to be right and you also need to ensure you're not over doing the calories. Get it wrong and you risk affecting the pups growth and causing long term damage

Instead, I'd be looking at a good quality dry, specific to a growing large breed and incorporate raw meaty bones like chicken wings/necks, turkey necks etc, all of which are mostly balanced in their ratios.

Once pup is out of its critical growth phase then by all means look to change to raw.

What is the critical growth faze for a gsd I have a great dane cross and that faze is til 18 month I think is it similar for a gsd?

I'm thinking I may as well just keep the pup on RC GSD 30 until 15 months like it says on the pack or could I change to Raw sooner - I only want the best for my pup so I'm finding out before I get her.

Thanks for all the comments so far it has been helpful.

this is strange - i know PLENTY of people and breeders included who raise pups on raw and some are sheppies, they have all grown up fine some better then ones on commercial diets... i thought there would be more people pushing for a raw diet!

I certainly would say go raw but change over slowly, if you can get on the BARF premix patties then it isnt that hard?? i know a leo girl who has never eaten anything other then raw besides the odd pigs ear at a show and she is fine! each generation her breeder breeds and raises all on raw is better healthier and healthier.

I would say do research before she comes and then go raw :)

It's different for different dogs - and experiance makes a big difference as well.

I wouldn't raise any dog i have on raw again, in fact i'd never rely on just raw for any dog of mine at any age, and i was much happier with the growth rate of my 2nd GSD on the RC GSD Junior - it is fed in conjunction with raw meaty bones - but my dogs went into shocking condition on huge amounts of raw/barf when that was purely their diet - just personal experiance.

I could give you good and bad examples any and all diets/brands - all people that i know well or have dealt with - each dog is an individual.

It's different for different dogs - and experiance makes a big difference as well.

I wouldn't raise any dog i have on raw again, in fact i'd never rely on just raw for any dog of mine at any age, and i was much happier with the growth rate of my 2nd GSD on the RC GSD Junior - it is fed in conjunction with raw meaty bones - but my dogs went into shocking condition on huge amounts of raw/barf when that was purely their diet - just personal experiance.

I could give you good and bad examples any and all diets/brands - all people that i know well or have dealt with - each dog is an individual.

What sort of bones did you use and what size and quantity did you feed them also how often did you feed the bones?

As to quantities it depended on age, weight, what else they were getting and what the meal was (eg breakfast, dinner, bedtime snack etc) - but generally it was a matter of 'feel' eg if the turkey neck was a big one that would be an entire meal and they might not get a night snack, if it was a small one they might get something else with it. With the turkey tails they were often quite fatty so they might get one of those for breakfast and kibble or lower fat bones for the rest of the day etc. Some bones (eg beef ribs) don't contain much meat so they almost come back to being a recreational bone...so might get chook frames as the actual meal. Even as pups it was nothing for my guys to put away a couple of chook frames per meal...lol

Turkey - tails, necks, wings, legs, frames

Chicken - whole, wings, legs, frames, necks, quarters, feet

Beef - tongues

Lamb - flaps, ribs, necks, spines, offcuts - these were limited to start with as the meat can be rich.

Pork - feet, ears, off cuts, tails - these can be very fatty so while they were pups they didn't get them too often.

Roo - tail bones - these were limited to start with as the meat can be a little rich.

ETA - They'd generally get at least some raw per day - even if it was just a few chook necks for their before bed snack.

ETA - They'd only get fruit/vegies/offal on the very rare occasion - eg if it was in some leftovers - vegies/offal etc is not something i include in their diet at all.

Edited by KitKat

Beware of feeding roo meat alone, tails are ok. I found one my gsd,s lost condition really fast when feed it. And there is nothing to stop you cooking the meat up with rice and pasta like another poster said into a stew like meal. Its an easy way to get quantity and not have to prepare each day.