Weird Things My Dog Does

MsKatie

Inspired by the fast that I have a kelpie at my feet as I type and a bloodhound lying by the couch (about 3 feet away) baying at her in a very lacklustre fashion - kind of sounds like a cross between a bay and a howl. He appears to be falling asleep but occasionally will slip out another one just as you think he has stopped.He is flat out on his side as he does it.

Elbie has a lot of weird/cute things that we love.

1. When he's asleep and dreaming, his little paws will sometimes be moving as he goes running and he'll let out very tiny but incredibly cute little mini barks. I think it's rather adorable that he's dreaming of running.

2. When we drive up the driveway and he comes running to the gate to greet us through the fence, his ears are always quite high - still floppy but almost standing up on end. It gives him a very puzzled and quizzical look as if he's saying: "What took you so long?"

3. When he's listening, his ears pop up and go wonky and he almost looks like he's trying to use his ears to triangulate the sound - except that with only two ears its hard to triangulate :) His ears move around as he listens and it's a very funny sight - like he's moving antenna around.

4. Sometimes when he does something good, he'll immediately glance over at the treats bowl with a: "Do I get my treat?" expression on his face and it makes us laugh because it's so obvious what he's thinking.

5. We have a dog door installed now but only on the screen door and not the main door so he can only go through the dog door if the main door is open. He'll sit in front of the door and test the dog door with his paw to see if he can come in :laugh:

Brennan puts her front paws into the water bowl, and if allowed she will progress to putting her whole head into the bowl and shaking it around..it is easy to tell when she has been at the water bowl because the water is either dirty or all over the floor.

I have a queen sized bed which is just for myself and Brennan likes to sleep on the pillows on the empty side of the bed.

If you put puppies on the laptop {video of puppies on Youtube}, and turn the speakers right up, she'll come stand over the laptop with her head head high, muzzle pointing down, ears cocked to their full capacity, and a very quizzical look on her face.

As the video progresses her head will jerk violently left....then right...one ear will go down, she'll pace around the laptop while staring at it, then paw the keyboard and press her head against the screen.

for some reason she loves Jack Russell puppies more than anything.

Videos of Danes maximised to fill the screen make her wag her tail and occasionally bark.

If you play a video of dogs barking or growling she leaps up, rushes to the window and stares out with her coat bristling, then looks at the laptop, and lies back down.

Gilly will hold his left and then his right foot up, when I put his hoodie on him.

He also does this for his harness.

I'm very jealous! I wish I had thought of training my dogs to do this. One of mine often runs around 'wearing' her fleecy pj's with only one leg in as she refuses to let me do the others. It's like trying to put shoes on a toddlers foot!

While eating.. Emmy takes a big mouthful out of her bowl and spit it out to the ground and then eat it from the floor. We have changed bowls, used plates and everything... she will still do that. While she is eating biscuits, she only gets 3 out at the time.. sits down and slowly and carefully chew them and the gets up for 3 more..

Charlie has a thing for people blowing their nose too. He insist to have the tissue or hankie after the person has used it :) Oh, and when he eat fish.. he thinks he is a cat.. he will lick his paws afterward. He only does it after he eat fish.. I think he copies that off my dad's cat and they shared a tin of sardines together when he was younger.

Bomber is really pedantic about crossing roads properly! It is kind of hard to explain but If i am crossing a road and we are heading towards the gutter etc he will deliberately steer closer to a driveway so that he can get onto the footpath that way! Clearly he doesn't like to jaywalk! :)

Kite goes snorkeling in water bowls.

Goat does this weird belly crawl whilst making this rather odd howl grunt noise.

Rebel does circles all the way from the kitchen or back door to her crate when shes being fed.

the cupboard that i keep the doggie treats in in next to my oven which has a tea towel hanging on the rail.

My girl will push her nose under the towel so it's on her head when she gets her treat, if she misses she will circle around until it's on her head :)

one of my others will run from the kitchen (while i'm preparing her dinner ) to the mat, sit then run back to the kitchen and does it over and over until her dinner is ready.

I love reading these! One of mine likes to clean teeth and she circles her dinner bowl round and round and round while eating, mostly dropping it on the floor to eat it from there. She is also guilty of picking up a couple of biscuits, jumping on the closest lounge to eat them, then jumping down and running back to her bowl to repeat the process. She only does this at breakfast though.

One of my other dogs used to do something a bit embarrassing. She used to have a thing about sidling under a plant in the garden or a towel hanging in the bathroom, then she would rock herself back and forwards with the leaves or towel rubbing lightly over her back. This was accompanied by pleasurable groans, her eyes rolling back in her head and the tongue flicking in and out licking the air.

Lili has a thing for stuffed toys, especially Elmo. If there is one in the house she will find it and if it's up- high, sit there for hours staring....when she gets it she treats it like a baby and attacks Mo if he goes near her :thumbsup:

Mo likes to have things in his mouth, underwear/socks/bottles/anything! He holds them in his mouth and makes this woooo-woooo sound :)

Guest choice_brandy

Chilli goes snorkling anywhere she can find water. I often go diving around the coast and take her with me when we go places that dogs are welcomed. One morning I was swimming back to the surface and happened to look up. Chilli was standing on a rock near the shoreline, had her whole head under the water, eyes open, watching me. I nearly sucked in a mouthful of water laughing at her.

Chilli goes snorkling anywhere she can find water. I often go diving around the coast and take her with me when we go places that dogs are welcomed. One morning I was swimming back to the surface and happened to look up. Chilli was standing on a rock near the shoreline, had her whole head under the water, eyes open, watching me. I nearly sucked in a mouthful of water laughing at her.

:) Classic, almost splurked my coffee picturing that

Erik does "flip flops" where he'll throw himself backwards over your lap for a belly rub. Lately he has started doing this in dangerous situations, such as when you're standing up and he's in your arms, or you're sitting in a chair and he's in your lap facing you, or anywhere that does not have a soft landing, really. He expects to be caught when he throws himself backwards. Twice already he has thrown himself backwards when no one was ready to catch him. Once he hit his head on the wall and the other time he was standing on the floor and so just thumped on his back on the ground. He is unphased, but hitting his head on the wall obviously hurt. You have to watch that kid. He's like one of those kids that'll jump off a chair or the stairs when you're not looking, expecting you to catch them. Except normally those kids learn to check that you're watching!

Kivi is adorable. When he gets excited he picks something up and walks around with it in his mouth, ears pinned back, tail wafting gently back and forth. I leave him with a cow's ear if I take Erik out to agility. Last week OH came home when I was still out and Kivi picked up the nearest thing to cart around and it was his uneaten cow's ear. After a few moments he suddenly realised he had picked up something that is not only edible, but delicious, and started prancing around, tossing it in the air. :)

When the boys are playing in the dog park Erik will slam into Kivi and make him fall over. Kivi flops on his side and then he'll dig the ground sideways as if he's still trying to run like a wind-up toy. A moment later you'll turn around to see him chasing Erik with Erik's tail in his mouth. They are loons.

Gael my 10 months border collie puppy loves to do forward rolls. She puts her head on the ground and rolls over like a little kid. She does it a lot when playing with other dogs, my two are used to it now but you watch dogs playing with her for the first time and you can see them thinking: :confused:

Erik does "flip flops" where he'll throw himself backwards over your lap for a belly rub. Lately he has started doing this in dangerous situations, such as when you're standing up and he's in your arms, or you're sitting in a chair and he's in your lap facing you, or anywhere that does not have a soft landing, really. He expects to be caught when he throws himself backwards. Twice already he has thrown himself backwards when no one was ready to catch him. Once he hit his head on the wall and the other time he was standing on the floor and so just thumped on his back on the ground. He is unphased, but hitting his head on the wall obviously hurt. You have to watch that kid. He's like one of those kids that'll jump off a chair or the stairs when you're not looking, expecting you to catch them. Except normally those kids learn to check that you're watching!

Lili does that!! The other day she flopped onto her back and landed on Mosley :confused: Should've seen the look on her face, it was like "Crap I can't flip back, he's gonna bite me!" :rofl: She has flopped off the couch, off the bed.....such a nerd