"the Most Dangerous Dog Breeds" By Pat Gray

I thought there'd be something in this for everyone, so --- just sharing :)

The most dangerous dog breeds are any 'breeds' that have been produced by bad breeders, have been raised incorrectly and are owned by people who have no knowledge and/or no interest in taking responsibly for their dogs.

Badly Bred:

Consider Cocker Rage Syndrome. One of the worst breeds for unprovoked, uncontrollable aggression is the Cocker Spaniel - you know, that cute little golden dog with the big heart-melting brown eyes and the soft fuzzy ears. The "rage" is caused by indiscriminate breeding to produce animals disregarding genetics - mating the wrong dogs. These dogs suffer from a blind rage, almost like a fit, and once the 'fit' is over, they return to their lovable, cute little fluffy selves. Other breeds suffer from Rage Syndrome too, again due to breeding for coloring, confirmation or quantity, without regard for temperament or genetics.

Pit Bulls, the current villains of the dog world, suffer a similar fate at the hands of 'breeders' raising dogs to fight. A combination of breeding the most vicious dogs and breeding the survivors of the various fights, creates dogs that are hard-wired to attack. Rescue groups come into 'save' these dogs, and without proper evaluation, they unwittingly turning loose time bombs on an unsuspecting public. And of course the great American public, SO well versed in animal ownership, paint ALL Pit Bulls with the same brush - vicious monster. Like it or not, there are MANY wonderful Pit Bulls, bred intelligently and handled correctly - just as there are many great Cockers.

(I was shocked by a suggestion that the first step to becoming a breeder was choosing a breed you liked! Courses in genetics and understanding bloodlines would be my first suggestion, followed by a internship with a rescue group.)

Badly Raised:

The first six to nine months of a puppy's life are critical. Puppies need guidance from their mothers, from their siblings and from their early handlers. Too many puppies are bred in stressful situations, taken from their mothers too early, have little or no contact with other puppies, and have insufficient or incorrect handling from their humans.

If the mother isn't relaxed and secure during pregnancy and while caring for her pups, pass her fears to her pups, possibly producing fear biters. Imagine how stressful it would be to raise litter after litter in a puppy mill, surrounded by chaos, often starting too young and ending too old.

Puppies learn bite inhibition by playing with their mother and with other puppies - without this interaction, they can continue to bite and snap in later life, when it isn't quite so cute. Humans can teach puppies not to bite, but puppy teeth are sharp, and a puppy that is big enough or persistent enough can do some damage. If a dog hasn't learned that biting is unacceptable, they can become dangerous.

Without proper handling and socialization, puppies are often afraid of new situations, which in turn may trigger fear bitting. Without proper evaluation and placement, they may go to unsuitable homes, where any problems will only be made worse. Left alone in cold cages, surrounded by other nervous dogs and with indifferent handling, a pet-shop puppy doesn't have the opportunity to learn how to be a balanced dog.

Badly Owned:

Too many people select dogs because they feel sorry for them, because they like the 'look' or because they want an aggressive looking dog. Rather than looking for a good breeder, having the dog evaluated by a trainer or, heaven forbid, without researching breeds and training, people pick the wrong dog for them, then wonder why their dog is aggressive and attacking other dogs or the neighbors. Many people select dogs they can't control - if you get a large, strong breed, you need the strength and fortitude keep them from taking over your 'pack', often by aggressive biting.

When the puppy finally goes to a permanent home, most people don't properly handle their new pets. How many people pick up a fearful or aggressive little dog to 'protect' it, which actually reinforces the dog's fear or aggression? How many owners use 'negative motivation' - yelling, a couple of swats with a newspaper or even a swift kick to 'correct' a dog, which can make a nervous or fearful animal bite first and ask questions later.

And the thing that drives me the craziest, are the dog owners and parents who allow children pull ears and tails, poke eyes, steal toys, stray near food dishes and clamber over a dog - any type of dog. Not only does this teach the child bad manners, but if the dog takes offense and corrects the child as it would correct a puppy (or worse), it is always the dog's fault, they are labeled 'dangerous' and punished or put down. True story - I have a new rescue, a Shepherd mix (Shepherds are on many dangerous dog lists), who's temperament is still unknown. Our nephew let his 9 month old son start to climb on her saying, "Oh, don't worry, he's used to big dogs!". What if she wasn't used to little kids! Needless to say, I removed the dog from harm's way.

What makes a dangerous dog isn't the JUST the bred, it is complicated mix of genetics, rearing and ownership. Don't condemn ALL Pit Bulls because they are vicious and go for a Cocker because they are 'cute'. Don't support bad breeders - look for a reliable, knowledgeable rescue group or breeder rather than a puppy mill or a yokel with a hand-painted sign in the front yard. Don't go into dog ownership blind, do your homework, make informed decisions about your dog, and use some common sense.

And remember, how ever it happens, 'dangerous' dogs are created by humans - it isn't the dog's fault. Humans MUST take responsibility and put an end to the practices create dangerous dogs, regardless of the breed.

here's the link!

Haven't they all but blown the " cocker rage " theory out of the water ?

These days they call it "idiopathic aggression"

At least some study results refute the idea of "cocker rage". I quote.

From the cluster analysis, there was some evidence that so-called ‘rage’ syndrome, a condition often reported in the breed and one which is characterised by sudden and unpredictable aggression, is an expression of social dominance, rather than being a separate or pathological phenomenon.

Just because an owner doesn't understand why a dog becomes aggressive doesn't mean there ain't a reason. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In defense . . . there has been a lot of work on aggression in cockers, and it the problem appears to be genetic. I can't remember the authors, but they are in the Vet school of the University of Barcelona. Even if 'rage' is a myth, bad temperament through wrong breeding is real.

In defense . . . there has been a lot of work on aggression in cockers, and it the problem appears to be genetic. I can't remember the authors, but they are in the Vet school of the University of Barcelona. Even if 'rage' is a myth, bad temperament through wrong breeding is real.

Hmmm. And particularly when it seemed to turn up in a "particular breed of a particular colour regularly"..some connections have to be made...so yes, even if the "Myth" is debunked there could still be a genetic connection thats only obvious sign was colour regardless of the genetics that couldn't be seen. Hence the 'link'.

From the cluster analysis, there was some evidence that so-called 'rage' syndrome, a condition often reported in the breed and one which is characterised by sudden and unpredictable aggression, is an expression of social dominance, rather than being a separate or pathological phenomenon.

Just because an owner doesn't understand why a dog becomes aggressive doesn't mean there ain't a reason. :laugh:

That's still not a positive thing for Breeders, Dominance doesn't neccessarily = Aggression. A true Dominant dog does not need to show aggression.

It's still poor breeding - breeding dogs who are insecure dominants to react in such a manner. We already know that shyness is inheritated - i.e. as seen in BC's.

People need to start being accountable that genetics does come into it sometimes. Yes, so do bad owners but it's not all about bad owners, sometimes bad dogs are bred and sometimes so much so that you create an average temperament/problem i.e. as seen in certain health issues in breeds.

Different studies will say different things and it depends on the controls of the studies, I read about Cocker Rage from Dr Temple Grandin when she talks about simple trait breeding and experiences with it - sometimes us non-scientists think we know better, I'm not sure why - perhaps to protect out right to own and breed dogs?

Sorry, but when people stop making excuses and blaming owners for everything some good might actually be done.

I'm not for BSL but sometimes I think we create it by sounding the way we do by saying it's all the Owners fault.

Edited by sas

From the cluster analysis, there was some evidence that so-called 'rage' syndrome, a condition often reported in the breed and one which is characterised by sudden and unpredictable aggression, is an expression of social dominance, rather than being a separate or pathological phenomenon.

Just because an owner doesn't understand why a dog becomes aggressive doesn't mean there ain't a reason. :)

That's still not a positive thing for Breeders, Dominance doesn't neccessarily = Aggression. A true Dominant dog does not need to show aggression.

It's still poor breeding - breeding dogs who are insecure dominants to react in such a manner. We already know that shyness is inheritated - i.e. as seen in BC's.

People need to start being accountable that genetics does come into it sometimes. Yes, so do bad owners but it's not all about bad owners, sometimes bad dogs are bred and sometimes so much so that you create an average temperament/problem i.e. as seen in certain health issues in breeds.

Different studies will say different things and it depends on the controls of the studies, I read about Cocker Rage from Dr Temple Grandin when she talks about simple trait breeding and experiences with it - sometimes us non-scientists think we know better, I'm not sure why - perhaps to protect out right to own and breed dogs?

Sorry, but when people stop making excuses and blaming owners for everything some good might actually be done.

I'm not for BSL but sometimes I think we create it by sounding the way we do by saying it's all the Owners fault.

Defence aggression driven by fear is the most unpredictable aggression I have experienced. Dominance aggression I think is very predictable when handling a dog like that, you know exactly how the dog will react in particular situations where the dog needs to be handled accordingly. Genetics plays a major part in a dog's natural traits, but where the handler/owner is at fault, is not training and handling the dog appropriately to behave in a desired manner.

Many owners are 'lay' Dog owners and they don't all have aggressive dogs.

I'm sorry but it's time to be accoutable in what is being bred and actually do the research and look at the studies that are out there.