Nuisance & Barking Dogs

Mystiqview

I am pretty sure I saw the headlines for the story yesterday for Channel 9 Brisbane.

It was concerning barking dogs and the extreme measures people are taking.

Did anyone see the story? And if so, what were they up in arms about?

Was it bark collars or debarking?

I think 9 news on monday night. Don't know if it was local Brisbane (most likely) or was aired national.

The shorts were along the lines of barking dogs, council regs to keep them quiet and the extreme measures owners are resorting to. Another on the shorts stated "it was bad animal management"

I can only assume it was to do with debarking or shock bark collars

I think 9 news on monday night. Don't know if it was local Brisbane (most likely) or was aired national.

The shorts were along the lines of barking dogs, council regs to keep them quiet and the extreme measures owners are resorting to. Another on the shorts stated "it was bad animal management"

I can only assume it was to do with debarking or shock bark collars

I listened to it ...Today Tonight...,mainly about dogs barking when owners are at work or just out, until they received a council notice that it was occuring they said they had no idea their dogs were being a nuisance,so every-one hears it, not every-one will tolerate it nor speak to the neighbours firstly.I've 2 neighbours that are very often home & it still goes on,it absolutely grates on my nerves when it goes on for over 3 hours & longer.I some-times yell out"be quiet"& then neighbour comes out & speaks to them,I'm afraid of retalliation of false complaint against mine should I officially complain to council about neighbours.

It use to be such a quiet place to live

....How can they bear it. :thumbsup:

Edited grammar

Edited by bridie

Guest choice_brandy

A few years ago I had a dog that was a nuisance barker... He'd run with me in the mornings, but was left alone during the day with his mother and usually a couple of big bones and an assortment of toys which were rotated regularly to keep the novelty up. At night we'd go to the dog park and he never barked when we were home, just when we were not.

First I knew about the problem was a notice from council in my letterbox, nobody had every approached us but the letter said they'd had 14 signatures regarding this particular dog. Putting him into doggy daycare was ruled out as his mother would fret and she wasn't good with other dogs or people she didn't know (she was a rescue and despite our efforts, to this day she remains iffy around strangers, although we've never had an incident) We did manage to get a neighbour to doggy sit him on occasions which helped, but a neighbour on the other side was caught several times antagonising the dogs on more than one occasion, and we found out eventually that he was the instigator of the complaints.

We battled for years with the problem, would come up with a solution only to have it "get old" for the dog and he'd go back to his old habits. Bark Busters came out numerous times, as they guarantee what they do, but everything was always a temporary fix. Moving was out of the question as the property was our first purchase and the backside had fallen out of the market.

I'll admit that we did resort to shock collars for a period, but they only worked when he was wearing it, and he'd get a shock if his mum barked so we abandoned that idea. Crazy dog likes the smell of citronella and exasperated the problem.

Eventually we were handed a destruction order on the dog but given the option to leave the shire. We had the dog debarked instead which I still regret but it did eventually prove to the council that most of the complaints had been made up by a neighbour with nothing better to do with his time. The complaints still came in for months regarding the debarked dog... the neighbour was not informed of the operation so eventually the council admitted they'd got it wrong... too bad for us if we'd accepted the destruction order.

Both dogs are with an ex partner now, but have moved to a different suburb and my ex door knocked the houses nearby and left a contact number in case they had a problem with the dogs barking. There has not been a single complaint.

I was more curious. I had made plenty of mental notes to watch the segment, but when the time came, missed it and Channel 9 (where I think the program aired) is useless on having news segments up on their website after the fact.

I use shock bark collars on two of mine here. I have no issue with them. The dogs live inside and out, they are taken to the park etc. One dog was put on debark row for awhile, but managed to be given a temporary release.

I have no issues with debarking if other avenues are considered and tried first. Sometimes there is no choice, but I would like to see other avenues looked at first. That is just me. Other's may have different views.

My neighbour is pretty good. I have asked her to let me know if my dogs bark and are causing a problem and I will do my best to fix it. However in saying that, the ferral up the back of us with her staffy x lets her dogs bark and run at the fence and does little to control it. He runs at our back fence and causes my dogs to go up there to bark in return. I have since blocked off that part of the yard, and hung tarps on the fence so mine can't see through and vice versa. But the ferral owner will still do nothing about her dogs. I cannot walk outside the laundry door without her dogs at the back fence barking.

The ferral across the street has a english springer. Again, they do nothing with the dog. Even when they get home and the dog is in the front yard, they will not even bend down and pat the dog :eek

I have called council on that one. IT will bark and bark all day and NIGHT. Daytime I can handle when I have my RDO's but at night.. Sorry I love my sleep. I will not let mine bark at night and would like the same courtesy returned.

A few years ago I had a dog that was a nuisance barker... He'd run with me in the mornings, but was left alone during the day with his mother and usually a couple of big bones and an assortment of toys which were rotated regularly to keep the novelty up. At night we'd go to the dog park and he never barked when we were home, just when we were not.

First I knew about the problem was a notice from council in my letterbox, nobody had every approached us but the letter said they'd had 14 signatures regarding this particular dog. Putting him into doggy daycare was ruled out as his mother would fret and she wasn't good with other dogs or people she didn't know (she was a rescue and despite our efforts, to this day she remains iffy around strangers, although we've never had an incident) We did manage to get a neighbour to doggy sit him on occasions which helped, but a neighbour on the other side was caught several times antagonising the dogs on more than one occasion, and we found out eventually that he was the instigator of the complaints.

We battled for years with the problem, would come up with a solution only to have it "get old" for the dog and he'd go back to his old habits. Bark Busters came out numerous times, as they guarantee what they do, but everything was always a temporary fix. Moving was out of the question as the property was our first purchase and the backside had fallen out of the market.

I'll admit that we did resort to shock collars for a period, but they only worked when he was wearing it, and he'd get a shock if his mum barked so we abandoned that idea. Crazy dog likes the smell of citronella and exasperated the problem.

Eventually we were handed a destruction order on the dog but given the option to leave the shire. We had the dog debarked instead which I still regret but it did eventually prove to the council that most of the complaints had been made up by a neighbour with nothing better to do with his time. The complaints still came in for months regarding the debarked dog... the neighbour was not informed of the operation so eventually the council admitted they'd got it wrong... too bad for us if we'd accepted the destruction order.

Both dogs are with an ex partner now, but have moved to a different suburb and my ex door knocked the houses nearby and left a contact number in case they had a problem with the dogs barking. There has not been a single complaint.

Like yourself some neighbours are approachable,some are just ignorant.I've taken bones,printed off internet re barking dogs,offered a collar,I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall.I have thought of moving but like you were in no position to move......it is so frustrating & very stressful.My boy probably twice a day gets so sick of it he paces the fence(colorbond) and barks out of frustration just listening to them,it has set the other neighbours dogs off too,what if I wasn't home......would mine join in,probably.....so every one is in the sh* because these 2 are not controlled. :thumbsup:

If it were possible I'd like to be out where there were no neighbours!One can only get a vet to de-bark after 3 council notices,this area.I believe in extreme cases there is no other option,we all have the right to peace & quiet,I would not expect any-one to put up with mine barking,I wouldn't put up with it..not for one day,this is a form of mental abuse.

I was more curious. I had made plenty of mental notes to watch the segment, but when the time came, missed it and Channel 9 (where I think the program aired) is useless on having news segments up on their website after the fact.

I use shock bark collars on two of mine here. I have no issue with them. The dogs live inside and out, they are taken to the park etc. One dog was put on debark row for awhile, but managed to be given a temporary release.

I have no issues with debarking if other avenues are considered and tried first. Sometimes there is no choice, but I would like to see other avenues looked at first. That is just me. Other's may have different views.

My neighbour is pretty good. I have asked her to let me know if my dogs bark and are causing a problem and I will do my best to fix it. However in saying that, the ferral up the back of us with her staffy x lets her dogs bark and run at the fence and does little to control it. He runs at our back fence and causes my dogs to go up there to bark in return. I have since blocked off that part of the yard, and hung tarps on the fence so mine can't see through and vice versa. But the ferral owner will still do nothing about her dogs. I cannot walk outside the laundry door without her dogs at the back fence barking.

The ferral across the street has a english springer. Again, they do nothing with the dog. Even when they get home and the dog is in the front yard, they will not even bend down and pat the dog :eek

I have called council on that one. IT will bark and bark all day and NIGHT. Daytime I can handle when I have my RDO's but at night.. Sorry I love my sleep. I will not let mine bark at night and would like the same courtesy returned.

Yes,I have spoken to my neighbours like you have about your own.Ferrels,well ....what can i say,we all have them some where in our street lol.I have more tham my share here. :thumbsup:

We all need our sleep,I wouldn't cop the all day barking as you do either,strange thing is these kind of neighbours with "Barking Mad Dogs" think "we"have nothing better to do than whinge about their dogs!

The 2 I'm complaining about often start at 5am,9pm,midnight,after 2 hours it really gets to me,many a time I've gotten out of bed put my dressing gown on to go BANG on their door.I have their phone no & have considered calling them,talking does not get through to them.The night stuff seems to have mostly stopped since I have gotten up and yelled out at them on more than one occasion,I know it is said yelling at them is not the answer but it gets owner out of bed to put them away.Running out of options here ,really am.I don't wish to be deaf but living here and listening to them day in day out it may be a blessing.

I live in a u shaped street that is full of dogs - most houses with more than 1 (we have three). There are also a couple of cockatoos and some roosters and we live near an ambulance station so at times there can be quite a racket going on. Our dogs are fenced off from the street and we've only had one noise complaint a couple of years back which the council investigated and said wasn't an ongoing problem. Anyway our household is planned so that someone is always home before dark to let the dogs in. There would only be a handful of times every year that this doesn't occur and last night was one of them. I ran into the house and went straight out the back to let them in when I got home last night and some ahole was yelling at them to "shut the f*** up!" So I went out there ready for a fight but couldn't work out where the yelling came from. The dogs were of course barking desperately as soon as they heard the car pull up but only for a whole 5 mins until I got into the house and let them in. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, someone will always be upset by it!

I too love my sleep and since one of my dogs is a terrible snorer I sleep with ear plugs in. So even if the roosters are crowing or the cockatoos are going off their nut I can sleep on through. Having volunteered at a shelter for a bit I'm not being bothered by dogs barking for a reason (even at the ambulance sirens!) but we do have some yappers across the road that just like the sounds of their own barking and I sometimes fantasise about putting muzzles on them! I wonder how their owners don't notice????

I live in a u shaped street that is full of dogs - most houses with more than 1 (we have three). There are also a couple of cockatoos and some roosters and we live near an ambulance station so at times there can be quite a racket going on. Our dogs are fenced off from the street and we've only had one noise complaint a couple of years back which the council investigated and said wasn't an ongoing problem. Anyway our household is planned so that someone is always home before dark to let the dogs in. There would only be a handful of times every year that this doesn't occur and last night was one of them. I ran into the house and went straight out the back to let them in when I got home last night and some ahole was yelling at them to "shut the f*** up!" So I went out there ready for a fight but couldn't work out where the yelling came from. The dogs were of course barking desperately as soon as they heard the car pull up but only for a whole 5 mins until I got into the house and let them in. Sometimes it doesn't matter what you do, someone will always be upset by it!

I too love my sleep and since one of my dogs is a terrible snorer I sleep with ear plugs in. So even if the roosters are crowing or the cockatoos are going off their nut I can sleep on through. Having volunteered at a shelter for a bit I'm not being bothered by dogs barking for a reason (even at the ambulance sirens!) but we do have some yappers across the road that just like the sounds of their own barking and I sometimes fantasise about putting muzzles on them! I wonder how their owners don't notice????

Different all together to bark when visitors arrive ,they settle down when visitors are seated,that is what dogs are suppose to do,it's when it goes on & on and just never stops daily,nightly.I think of worse things than muzzles lol

Owners would have to notice,ignoring and hope it goes away.