Argh! Half My Back Fence Is Now Gone!

mackiemad

so here i was, at home, all morning working on my thesis

when, at around 11am a normal to large size truck decides that the old alleyway behind my house is the best way to get his load of furniture (flat packed) to the block of flats a few houses next to me and at the end of the lane. (we are on a busy road but it has nice deep parking at the front of houses)

so he merrily drives down the laneway ignoring my yelling from my backyard and my dog barking (because i was yelling he thought he'd join in too, i imagine!) and from about halfway down (where a big old snowgum has grown into the 10foot high cyclone fence) the fence pulls away and he drags the rest of it with him all the way down to the flats' carpark.

so i go running out there (having taken the rego down and locked the dog in the house) and start roaring are you aware you've removed half my fence etc (though no swearing or profanities, i was trying to restrain myself) and then wait aroudn for 20 minutes whilst two young guys unpack the flat pakced furniture and then finally get the dirver to repsond to me, he gives me the name and phone number of the guy who owns the truck and then i demand his name and rego number as well (not that i necessarily believe they are real as he was so blase about it all).

and then i ask, how do you intend to get out? oh the way i came. do he proceeds to back up the alley (because he can't turn around) and scratches the fence on the other side! they aren't home so i'll give them the details but i think they'll just need to paint it.

but now i can't let the dog out until it gets fixed, and who knows when that'll be?

NB-an amusing aside is that i often study in my pyjamas so i had my peter alexander grandpa pants on, a pink long sleeved top and, to top it off, my polar fleece dressing gown decorated with hand sized laughing teddy bears- so perhaps i can understand how i, a very angry redhead woman, was not as intimidating as i would have liked!

edit: i forgot in my irritation if anyone has any ideas in temporary fencing that can run about 20metres, not be fixed to anything solid behind it and that will keep my dog in the yard. he simply can't live without outdoors access for weeks or months. i can't imagine reed is strong enough?

Edited by mackiemad

What a nightmare for you. Even if you rent the Agent should be able to organise something especially as you need the fence for your dog, assuming your dogs alowed. Otherwise as mentioned before if you own the place contact your insurer. Good Luck

i was planning on calling my insurance anyway (we're still trying to get the roof fixed from a huge hailstorm in feb, they were inundated with claims) but i think i'd better leave calling the truck owner for a while. no point getting angry at him he didn't cause it and i'm not calmed down enough to be rational yet.

i was planning on calling my insurance anyway (we're still trying to get the roof fixed from a huge hailstorm in feb, they were inundated with claims) but i think i'd better leave calling the truck owner for a while. no point getting angry at him he didn't cause it and i'm not calmed down enough to be rational yet.

If you have his details, why not give them to your insurer when you make a claim and let your insurer chase him.. that's what we pay them for :p

Property damage from a vehicle = a report to the police doesn't it? If a vehicle or property are damaged etc, I thought you reported it within 24 hours (they won't come out, but tehy could fine the driver) your insurance may need the reference number.

You should find out if you can have a temporary fence/ hire fence erected maybe even some star posts and wire for the time being. I'd phone the truck owner and explain that you need the fence, maybe he can send some of his workers out to make some temporary but satisfactory arrangements, or you could send him a Boarding Kennel bill.

I can sympathise.....I got up one morning to find my neighbours had pulled down the adjoining fence..... I gave them and the tradies who they employed an earful and told them to put the fence back where I had left it......which they did. I mustn't have had the same PJs as you!

hey whippetsmum:

yes i didn't realise that i would need the police but my insurers yesterday said that it might be a good idea and today they said i definitely need it, so the coppers will be coming out tomorrow.

my insurers, AAMI have been fab. they came out yesterday and removed the torn down sections of fence (cos the truckie left it strewn across the laneway) and when i told them how worried i was about the dog they came back after 5pm with some star pickets and dense chicken wire and erected that (about 1.5metres high) until it can be fixed properly. they said if the dog can manage to get through that then they will come back and do something else as temp fencing. so in the end they have sorted it all for me! knew i paid them for something!

apparantly my insurers are having a hard time with the owner of the truck so the police report becomes more important... seriously irritating this though.

NB-an amusing aside is that i often study in my pyjamas so i had my peter alexander grandpa pants on, a pink long sleeved top and, to top it off, my polar fleece dressing gown decorated with hand sized laughing teddy bears- so perhaps i can understand how i, a very angry redhead woman, was not as intimidating as i would have liked!

:rofl: - No wonder he was blase !!

Seriously though "LUCKY YOUR WITH AAMI" - what a great job with the fence etc - good luck with the rest of it.